“Charming B&B walking distance to center of village”

and 1 more site!
Ancienne Maison des Gardes
Ranked #8 of 12 Lourmarin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Arrival was a bit confusing because we didn't have an exact address and had to ask for directions. Rose and Robin were polite and friendly. They gave us enough space and privacy but were available to answer any questions we had about the area. We stayed in the balcony room on the upper floor and it was the perfect size for a couple. Breakfast was served on a private balcony. It's true, the room was not cleaned every day nor was the tiny trash bin emptied but that wasn't a huge problem for us. The bed was comfortable and the room was in good condition. My husband says the large stone shower was the nicest one he'd ever seen in a B&B. The location was very convenient to walking downtown to shops and restaurants. There is also plenty of free parking nearby. The main inconvenience was having to pay all cash, which was a surprise to me. So as long as you have plenty of euros on hand you should be fine!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 August 2013

This was the cutest B&B in one of the most charming towns I've ever been to. My husband and I stayed in the La Salle Studio which had a kitchen, nice large bed and more than sufficient kitchen/dining supplies. We had a bit of trouble confirming our rooms since the B&B was undergoing some construction so had to be relocated our last day to La Moulin de Lourmarin, the local hotel just a few steps away. Rose (the host at Maison Rose) booked the reservation for us ahead of time and though it might be disappointing to some travelers, we actually really loved that hotel as well!

Pictures from our trip here: http://stormypeach.com/lourmarin-france/

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stormypeach
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here for the first time last year and promised ourselves a return visit which we did this year along with two friends.We were given a very warm welcome from Rose and Robin who greeted us like old friends,even inviting us all to watch the Wimbledon's men's final in their own apartment where a good time was had by all.
We stayed in the studio apartment this year and found it to be clean and spacious with a very comfortable bed and excellent shower.It is decorated in the same charming and tasteful style reflected in the other apartments.The kitchen is well equipped and we appreciated the quiet and shady courtyard after a busy day. Rose's advice when recommending places to visit and eat was always excellent and she and Robin were only too happy to share their knowledge of the area. Last year Rose and Robin acquired the adjoining property and have been renovating and decorating it to their usual high standard, I'm sure that many of their return guests will enjoy staying there. Everyone staying while we were there were friendly but respectful of each other's privacy. We look forward to returning and wish Rose and Robin well for the future.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue427
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Our friends stayed here last year and loved it and now four of us have just returned from a ten day stay. We had the balcony appartment and out friends the courtyard appartment.

The accommodation is in a great location near the heart of this beautiful village. Rose and Robin are excellent hosts, repectful of guests' privacy but ready with help and advice when necessary, for example, when we were planning a route, looking for a good restaurant, making a table reservation and when one of us needed to consult a doctor. And they even invited us into their own accommodation to watch our man play in the final of the Wimbledon tennis tournament!

The rooms are delightful, attractively decorated, with comfortable beds and good showers. Rose and Robin have now acquired the adjacent house and have just finished restoring two further suites to the same high standard with beautiful limestone floors, antiques, lovely bathrooms and with glorious far-reaching views.

Other guests were coming and going during our time here and they were all making return visits. That tells you something. Someone has remarked on a review that she was disturbed by the chiming of the church bells - we found them to be mellow, charming and not remotely obtrusive. We all had a wonderful time here and hope that we also will be able to return before too long.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Caroline395
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in early June and we loved everything about our visit. We stayed in the newly renovated studio and found it perfectly suited our needs. The room is spacious, spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. The kitchen was equipped with everything we needed to prepare simple meals which were enjoyed on the terrace.
The village of Lourmarin is gorgeous and the Friday market is not to be missed.
Rose and Robin were friendly, gracious, and very kind. They have a wealth of information about the area and are very helpful with recommendations. They were kind enough to introduce us to other travelers whose company we also enjoyed.
We used our apartment as our home base while exploring the Luberon and it was always delightful to come home every afternoon and enjoy a light meal on the terrace or a meal at one of the cafes in Lourmarin.
We are already looking forward to coming back next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I booked 6 months in advance to spend 19 nights at what I thought would be a charming B&B. I have traveled extensively in France for the past 25 years, staying at many B&Bs and it has always been a great experience, until I stayed here. A previous review title "Chambre Don't" describes some of the issues and I should have followed their advice.
Here are the facts:
Pros: - Convenient location within the village of Lourmarin
- Comfortable Bed
Cons: - The studio apartment is much smaller than it appears in the website photos. On the website the bedroom looks spacious. It is not.
- No breakfast is provided (this I knew ahead of time via emails)
- Room not cleaned daily (also informed via emails)
- Construction was in progress in adjacent building, by the owners of this b&b, which caused not only noise, but construction dust to be falling in the courtyard and blowing into my room. The courtyard was not useable because of this.
- Church bells ringing every half hour all night. If you are a light sleeper you will not get any sleep here.
- Ants crawling in bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. I had to constantly step on them.
- When I asked where I should put my trash, I was told I had to take my room trash to the village trash dump myself. And then I was given a lecture about recycling. I have been recycling since the 80's. I was willing to take my own recycling out, but I never had to dispose of my own trash at a b&b.
- No amenities provided except a 1/3 full bottle of liquid hand soap. You would think it would be full when I arrived for a 19 night stay.
- Biggest problem is the innkeeper Rose, who turned very nasty when I initially said that I was disappointed in the accommodations and it was not as I expected. She said that if I leave I would have to pay her for the full 19 days. There was no concern from her about what she could do to make my stay for myself and my daughter more comfortable. She was also aware that I had just finished cancer treatment and had been looking forward to this vacation. Her only concern was about her money. I had checked in on a Thursday, so after hearing her reaction, on Saturday I told her I would give her one week's notice that I would check out and she would keep my deposit for the cancellation. I thought this was fair and she agreed to this arrangement. The next day she came to me, scolding me again that I need to tell her what I am going to do about leaving. I said I thought we had agreed about checking out next Saturday. She now had someone who could take the room on Tuesday and wanted me to leave earlier. I said fine, I will leave on Tuesday.
Rose is from New Zealand, I believe, and maybe she has never stayed at a b&b in France. By definition a b&b should at least include breakfast and always does in France. If she means to make this a gite, then she shouldn't market it as a b&b. But that was only a very small part of the problems here.
There are much better places to stay in Lourmarin for the same price. On short notice, I couldn't find something for the full 2 weeks in Lourmarin, but saw some very nice places available for shorter stays. I found a wonderful place near Bonnieux. It was a gorgeous room with large terrace and panoramic views of the mountains and villages, for the same price. It included breakfast and daily room servicing, as it should be at a b&b. My vacation was saved due to finding this other wonderful place run by a lovely woman who added to the positive experience. If you are going to Lourmarin, stay elsewhere .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank NewYorkerOnthego
Reviewed 28 May 2013

It is always interesting how different eveyone's stay is at the same place. We recently stayed at Maison Rose. Our room was very nice. It did not have a kitchen but was furnished with dishes so you could bring a meal home and eat it on the patio.
Our experience was one of very little interaction with Rose and Robin. He met us,showed us the roomand pretty much left us alone. We hardly saw her at all. The few times we did talk to them, they were very friendly.
One thing to note, there is only hot water for your shower in the morning or evening. Once you use up the tank, there is not more hot water for 24 hrs. We showered in the A.M. and did not have hot water to wash up with at night.
We did not take breakfast because when it was explained to us it did not sound like a meal worth 24 E ( 2 of us). That would explain the little interaction with the owners.
The wi fi never worked for us,but we went to the tourist office and found it for 1E for one hour. That was fine.
If you are independent,don't want a lot of tourist advice etc, then I would stay here. If you need a bit more attention, then this would not be a good fit for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank birdieboys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lourmarin
0 mi away
La Maison de la Place - Lourmarin
Maison Collongue
Maison Collongue
#1 of 12 in Lourmarin

Been to Ancienne Maison des Gardes? Share your experiences!