“Best ever stay in the best ever village”

and 1 more site!
Ancienne Maison des Gardes
Ranked #6 of 13 Lourmarin B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best ever stay in the best ever village”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I read all the excellent reviews and every one is true. Rose and Robin are wonderful, kind people. Helpful but never intrusive.
My wife and I took two rooms because I am an insomniac and when I do fall asleep, I snore until the walls fall down. We stayed with "R&R" from August 15th thru the 19th. My wife had the balcony room and I had the courtyard room with the kitchen and the bedroom that is like a cave. Like a great cave! I have never ever slept better in the last ten years. I would go back just to get some sleep!
Beautiful courtyard, great location in the very best, most charming village in the
Luberon . By the way, a tie for second place: Menerbes and Bonnieux. Don't stay in Gordes . Better to look at from afar then actually stay there.
Cheers Rose and Robin!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Since the very fist contact, Rose, the owner of AMG, was fair, educated, flexible and kind to me. I and my wife really felt at home. She served us a freshly baked cherry pie at the check in and even offered us her drying machine for our soaked clothes at no additional costs. Basic but functional furniture and appliances. Outstanding shower. As it was raining, breakfast could not be served at our room`s balcony, so we had it at her place. This gave us the opportunity to talk and know a little further about each other. When reading other reviews about B&Bs in Lourmarin, be careful: there is an infamous "americaine" who is not Rose as she was born in another English-speaking land.

Room Tip: The room located on the second floor (with a small and private balcony) is a nice pick.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Antonio_Floripa
New York
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We rented the studio apartment for 5 nights and made a huge mistake in choosing this place. We found it on TA and also saw it on HomeAway. The description of the amenities on HomeAway was misleading (if one wants to be generous) or purposely deceptive (which is what we believe). We contacted and booked with the owner via HomeAway and, my mistake, didn’t bother to confirm the amenities. The HA site lists the 2 room studio as having airconditioning, washing machine and dishwasher. It had none of these… Apparently, the A/C and dishwasher are only available in the 2 bedroom unit and the washing machine is only available by arrangement (also not mentioned on the site). The HA site still has the misinformation but I noticed that the listing on VRBO has been updated to make this clear.

When I pointed out the discrepancy Rose, the owner, begrudgingly and not too nicely, offered to do our laundry and her husband brought in a fan (since there was an unusual heat wave). We also had an issue with the fridge not working and we couldn't seem to get the wifi to work and again Rose was unpleasant about it, rudely suggesting that since I was finding fault with everything maybe I should check into a hotel.

Frankly, if it hadn’t been late in the day and their wifi had better service (didn’t work in the house but only worked in the courtyard – another problem denied by Rose) I would have looked for someplace else to go. Her husband, with better hospitality skills, offered to let us move to the other one bedroom apartment whose fridge worked. Since we had meds that needed refrigeration we switched units although we purposely didn’t rent this unit originally because the bedroom was an underground windowless cave.

In the interest of fairness I must say that if price is a consideration the studio, at 100 euro/day, is a good value as long as you know what you are getting and you’ve made an informed choice. For us, we would gladly have paid more to get what we needed. Also, by the end of our 5 day stay Rose was all sweetness and light although she didn’t offer to do another wash for us and we had to go to a self-laundry and spend 2 precious hours of our vacation doing a wash.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank EH10014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The town is delightful, but I cannot say the same about this "B&B." We stayed two nights in the Balcony. The room is directly adjacent to the front door of the owner's home. Privacy is afforded by a cloth divider drawn at 45 degrees between the two doors. Furnishings are very basic. Although the small refrigerator was a pleasant addition, its rusty frame was a detractor. My comment upon arrival was, "Passable." Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. We asked Robin where we could get crepes; his response was, "Crepes. No." An hour later, after checking out every restaurant in town, we had a delightful meal at a creperie a 5-minute walk away on the same street as the B&B. The next morning, while I was fully lathered with soap, the shower ran out of hot water. Rose was not at all apologetic, but was quite vocal while she derided American tourists for our "luxurious showers" and the French for poor plumbing standards and attitudes. She did not seem to comprehend that a warm shower later in another room could not make up for the necessity to rinse off in very cold water. I must agree with other reviewers who found this proprietor rude and inhospitable. Breakfast on our first morning was fine, but I would heartily recommend the bakery in the village for breakfast. Our numerous other stays in French B&Bs have all been with French hosts, breakfast included, and have been most enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim B
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed 6 days in Ancienne Maison des Gardes ( La Petite Maison) and everything was amazing!! Good location, nice furniture, very well equipped kitchen and fits comfortable for 4 people. The view from the terrace on first floor is "fantastique"!!!!
Rose and his husband are very friendly and gave us good tips about the region.
For sure we will come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We had a wonderful stay here in April, Rose and Alan couldn't have been more accommodating. We stayed in the balcony room, which as named had a lovely balcony outside. Breakfast was served on the balcony which was a lovely touch.The B&B is located right in the village, so once you park there's no need to drive anywhere. Lourmarin was a lovely village and very easy to get to in Provence. The breakfast Rose serves was lovely, fresh fruit, croissants, bread, yogurt, muesli, fresh squeezed juice, coffee, perfect. Highly recommend this lovely place in Lourmarin.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at Ancienne Maison des Gardes in May 2013 for three nights and had a thoroughly enjoyable experience. We stayed in the balcony suite and enjoyed a delicious breakfast each morning. Robin & Rose were gracious hosts and the village of Lourmarin is beautiful with great dining and friendly residents. We have recommended this lovely B&B to friends and would love to return!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lourmarin
Moulin de Lourmarin
Domaine de Fontenille
Le Mas de Guilles
Le Mas de Guilles
#3 of 13 in Lourmarin

Been to Ancienne Maison des Gardes? Share your experiences!