“Spiders in room”

Ranked #4 of 5 Starnberg B&B and Inns
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Spiders in room”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The room was offered as a 'luxury room', but it was small and had no bath.
During our 3 day stay we caught 4 large spiders in the room. They ran across the ceiling and than spun down towards our bed.
We needed an iron and asked for it two times. The first time, it was not available and the second they promised to bring one, but it never came. Maybe there is only one iron for the whole hotel.
Interior of the rooms is clean but dated.
You cannot miss the Italian restaurant below, because you cannot enter the hotel without them inviting you to have a meal there.
The hotel is in a very central location, which has as a disadvantage that on a hot summer night you cannot open the windows because loud party-goers will keep you awake.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ursula W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed at the Seehof during a recent business trip to Starnberg. Being from the States, at first I was taken back by the room. It consisted of a small day bed built into the wall and an opposing day couch built into the other side of the room. I thought I was in for a long stay. The bed was comfortable enough with a reading light right next to the bed. The carpet was old and worn and the A/C never seemed to cool the room properly, but I guess A/C is probably not an issue here most of the time. However, my room had a balcony overlooking the lake and the room was cool enough on a summers evening with the door open with a nice breeze. The balcony had a little table and chair and I was able to get some work done on the balcony. The bathroom was clean and small and the shower pressure and height was good. There was a little space that could be used as a desk. The room also had a small mini-fridge where I could store a couple bottles of water or whatever. I did not try the internet (which they do have) because I was using a Jetpack.

The location was terrific for my trip. I could walk a couple of blocks to my office. There was also a S-Bahn station outside the hotel with easy access to Munich and the airport. There were several restaurants within walking distance and along the path at the lake there were several more restaurants with lakeside tables.

The staff was very nice and helpful (unlike some of the local waiters and bartenders) and spoke enough English to be helpful. The breakfast was definitely German and I did not try.

Overall, I found this hotel and experience charming. It was a nice break from the cloned business hotels in the US. But if you are looking for an American style hotel experience I would not stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed at the Seehof for one night as part of a business trip.The rooms are quite small but clean and with a pleasant decor. Quite hot when I arrived but I could adjust the radiator to a more human level. The shower is really powerful and put most toher showers to shame. breakfast was typical continental and good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Good option for spending a night at Starnberger See. Not directly at See, but easy to find. Clean, simple, but comfortable rooms. There is an annoying disco nearby, but closing a window solved the trouble. No Wi-Fi. Food in the restaurant on the floor level was good, just service took quite a while – about 40 minutes. OK experience – 7 out of 10.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights. We had 2 rooms one for 2 teenage boys and 1 for myself and my partner. I had booked on-line and had requested a double bed for us and 2 singles for the boys. This was confirmed. Out of interest I had stayed in this hotel many years ago. I was astounded that this hotel (really it should not be called 'Hotel' maybe a hostel is a more suitable description) had not been either decorated nor by the look had the carpets been shampooed in all those years it was completely unchanged. The double bed was in fact 2 very poor singles shoved together and the singles were the same but pushed apart! The matresses were about 2" thick and had no mattress cover/ protector and flat sheets that came off during the night so that you lay on the uncovered mattress, very uncomfortable and unhygenic. At least with mattress covers you hope that they get washed periodically! The beds were backed by a headboard with built in lights etc in the room for the boys the beds had been pushed apart and each time my son sat up he hit his head on the built in lamp, dangerous. The lamp on my side of the bed in our room had been repaired with sellotape. The bed bases were very low and the whole bed was below knee height off the floor. All the furniture looked as if it had been a job lot from a 1970's motel.

The charge for this 'luxury' was €130 per room per night. When we checked out I said that I was not impressed with the fact that I had specifically requested a double bed and also mentioned the lamp shade held together with sellotape. I was not greeted with placating explanations I was instead treated to an agressive explanation from both receptionists that this was a 'German' double bed! Presumably for Germans only then but they were happy to take my money!

I am reassured because once I returned home I checked on the internet and found that just opened in this beautiful part of Bavaria is a brand new Four Seasons Hotel with spar and normal beds. So I feel sure that the Seehof will either have to 'shape up' or it will just go under and frankly this would be deserved.

The town of Starnberg is just beautiful and I hope if any of you get the chance go for a visit and also the rest of the area equally stunning. I am sure that despite the attitude of the staff at the Seehof this area welcomes all tourists.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank GertLondon

Travellers are raving about these Starnberg hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Starnberg
Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Starnberg
Hotel Residence Starnberger See
Hotel Villa Kefer
Hotel Villa Kefer
#2 of 2 in Poecking

Been to Hotel Seehof? Share your experiences!