“If you like spider-infested rooms, you'll love it here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Seehof

Hotel Seehof
Ranked #4 of 5 Starnberg B&B and Inns
Omaha, Nebraska
“If you like spider-infested rooms, you'll love it here!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I traveled to Germany from the United States for two weeks. I loved every aspect of Germany, except for when we overnighted at this hotel. I discovered several spiders (big, hairy ones too) in my room. No more than 5 minutes later, my kids came up to my room to say that they had spiders in their room as well. Between our two rooms we counted 8 spiders (and that's only what we counted!!) I'm not a hotel connoisseur, but one should not find large arachnids in one's room.

At least they had free WiFi... right? Not exactly. The WiFi connection was unresponsive, deeming it useless. When I went to the receptionist to ask how to resolve the connectivity problem, all I got was a shrug and a "I don't know."

For the €130 per room, the rooms were outdated, small, and should have included air conditioning.

All around bad experience!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JCorrieri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Probably one of the best trips we've ever had, the Hotel Seehof made us very welcome. It is brilliantly located opposite the lake and the S-Bahn to Munich or anywhere else on the Starnberger See. Some reviewers say the hotel is noisy, we didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Our room was comfortable and spacious with a balcony overlooking the alps, although we spent very little time in it because there is so much to do and see in this divine region. S-Bahn links to all the galleries,museums, restaurants and theatres in Munich is a 5 minute walk and a 35 minute trip in fast, punctual trains. The restaurants, bars, shops and supermarkets in Starnberg are a dream, everything is so fresh, the place is vibrant all year round whether you want to spend time cruising round the lake, walking, bike riding or heading for the Alps. Breakfast is included and includes plenty of fruit, yoghurt, cereal, cheese a small selection of charcuterie and the coffee is exactly as German coffee always tastes - extremely good! We'll definitely return.

Room Tip: Maybe the decor in some of the rooms needs rejuvenation, but you can't fault the location which...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Arrived to a warm welcome from a most helpful and well informed receptionist. The room was clean and well appointed overlooking the lake and railway station. No complaints at all and I would happily go back. We eat out but the restaurant looked fine and was busy when we passed it. Great hotel and great value

Room Tip: Rooms on the front over look the lake and the railway station. The trains did not disturb me but mig...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Have stayed at Seehof before and after motorrads around Europe in 2005 and 2009. Great location just steps from the lake and within easy walking distance of all of central Starnberg's quaint shops & restaurants. Rooms remind one of basic and spartan 2-star hotel, absolutely nothing special. Single rooms are barely tolerable without any cross-ventilation when weather is warm. Morning European breakfast is satisfactory but nothing extraordinary. Impression is that owners are resting on location and prior reputation and little competition, since hotel seems heavily booked during high season.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing the lake.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Starnberg hotels

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed at Seehof last week for two nights, due to a business trip to Stanberg. The location of the hotel is excellent just across the train station. I stayed in a single room, the room was too small, the bed was a small single bed, and very uncomfortable, if you toss and turn in your sleep I suggest you get a double room because you will fall off the bed. I suggest that they put an English speaking station on the TV because if you do not speak German you will miss the news of the day. Personnel very helpful when called upon, breakfast very limited. Hotel has an Italian Restaurant, ate only once food was good, but should have menu in English, so one will know what to order.

Room Tip: Ask for a double room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The room was offered as a 'luxury room', but it was small and had no bath.
During our 3 day stay we caught 4 large spiders in the room. They ran across the ceiling and than spun down towards our bed.
We needed an iron and asked for it two times. The first time, it was not available and the second they promised to bring one, but it never came. Maybe there is only one iron for the whole hotel.
Interior of the rooms is clean but dated.
You cannot miss the Italian restaurant below, because you cannot enter the hotel without them inviting you to have a meal there.
The hotel is in a very central location, which has as a disadvantage that on a hot summer night you cannot open the windows because loud party-goers will keep you awake.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ursula W
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed at the Seehof during a recent business trip to Starnberg. Being from the States, at first I was taken back by the room. It consisted of a small day bed built into the wall and an opposing day couch built into the other side of the room. I thought I was in for a long stay. The bed was comfortable enough with a reading light right next to the bed. The carpet was old and worn and the A/C never seemed to cool the room properly, but I guess A/C is probably not an issue here most of the time. However, my room had a balcony overlooking the lake and the room was cool enough on a summers evening with the door open with a nice breeze. The balcony had a little table and chair and I was able to get some work done on the balcony. The bathroom was clean and small and the shower pressure and height was good. There was a little space that could be used as a desk. The room also had a small mini-fridge where I could store a couple bottles of water or whatever. I did not try the internet (which they do have) because I was using a Jetpack.

The location was terrific for my trip. I could walk a couple of blocks to my office. There was also a S-Bahn station outside the hotel with easy access to Munich and the airport. There were several restaurants within walking distance and along the path at the lake there were several more restaurants with lakeside tables.

The staff was very nice and helpful (unlike some of the local waiters and bartenders) and spoke enough English to be helpful. The breakfast was definitely German and I did not try.

Overall, I found this hotel and experience charming. It was a nice break from the cloned business hotels in the US. But if you are looking for an American style hotel experience I would not stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Starnberg
Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Starnberg
Hotel Residence Starnberger See
Hotel Villa Kefer
Hotel Villa Kefer
#2 of 2 in Poecking

Been to Hotel Seehof? Share your experiences!