“Poor Service”

Mercure Hotel Bad Homburg Friedrichsdorf
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Friedrichsdorf
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I recently undertook the Six Countries, Venice and Paris Coach Tour with Cosmos arriving at the Mercure Hotel Bad Homberg (Germany) on the third night. When we went to our room we were overcome with the smell of cigarette smoke and as we had requested "No Smoking" rooms we went to reception to request a change of room. Our Tour Director was at reception and came to our room and agreed that the smell was not acceptable, returning to reception he asked for a room change, only to be told that there were no other rooms available.
No matter what was asked of the Reception Staff they refused to offer any alternative, just commenting that the Hotel was full. A suggestion that a swap be made with guests who were yet to check in was also rejected saying that the Hotel was fully booked. Within 10 minutes it was observed that 2 guests checked in and were allocated rooms on one of the "no smoking" floors indicating that the staff were not being totally honest.

After waiting for a further 20 minutes we were advised by our Tour Director that another room had been arranged.

Room Tip: Make sure you emphasise NO SMOKING.....if you are a non smoker.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WoodyWA

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hotel is nice and clean; staff is very friendly. Free WIFi which is great! Maybe a little bit far from city. However good place to stay! BTW a huge supermarket just next door, anything you need during you travel ... You can top up there!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Slong1982
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have previously reviewed this hotel and just wanted to update on the inclusion of free wifi (good connection) and a tea/coffee maker in the room.
As always the reception was efficient and friendly, the room clean, warm and spacious.The sauna and pool are a nice plus point. There is also a nice bar open till late
I do not take breakfast as although it is good quality, it is quite expensive for the small amount I would eat
Parking was as always easy.
The hotel has a nice relaxed feeling.
Unlike some hotels there never seems to be a crowd of smokers outside the front doors

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cordelia2512
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times over the years. I find it to be a quiet, inexpensive alternative to staying in Frankfurt. The ride to the Frankfurt HBF is about 28 minutes and trains depart frequently. The same trains also stop at the convention center and I would guess that ride is about 20 minutes. Since this is a European chain, I have tried to think of an American chain to liken it to, and came up with Sheraton. It has a bar and a fairly nice restaurant. I am not sure why they reference Bad Homburg in their name, as that is a five minute train ride away. To me that is a bit of a deception, since the Mercure is in Friedrichsdorf, not Bad Homburg

Rooms

The rooms are clearly small by American standards, but typical of a European Hotel in this class. I give special kudos to this hotel, because unlike most European Hotels in this price class, the air conditioning actually works. It cools the room and removes the humidity. The bathroom is tight, but adequate for a solo travelor. Although, there is no counter space on which to set a Dopp kit. Slightly annoying.

WiFi

My major complaint with the Mercure is the you still have to purchase WiFi ala carte. That is so year 2000. I am not sure whether that is a policy of the chain, of just of this hotel. I refuse to pay an extra charge for WiFi I figure that if we all refuse to pay for it, eventual they will admit that WiFi, like hot water, lights, and a television is simply part of the cost of being in the lodging business. But I realize that many business people will be forced to purchase the service, and given the Mercure's scant competition in Friedrichsdorf and the lack of a Starbucks across the street is probably how they get away with that lack of an essential service. What turned the frustration of a WiFi charge into a three star experience is that WiFi was supposedly included with my reservation.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Kerwin G
Reviewed 5 January 2014

It is a mistake for me to write this review. But the Mercure Hotel in Friedrichsdorf is a great place to stay if there is a large convention in Frankfurt and the price of rooms there has gone through the roof. I would describe this as the Sheraton of Germany. Has a little restaurant and bar. The staff is quite professional. It is convenient to the nearby train station--easy short walk. So you can stay here and be in Frankfurt in 15 minutes or so. Now, keep in mind, I am retired, and I take long trips--about a month--so time isn't really an issue for me. I also travel on a Eurail pass, so there is no incremental cost for me to ride a train. But I have stayed here about three different times and no doubt will find myself here again someday.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My stay at this hotel was only a night. I arrived really late (1030pm), but check in was fast and no sooner I was headed up to my room on the 5th floor. Hungry I inquired about placing an order at the hotel's restaurant, but was informed by the front desk that the kitchen had closed and the property had no vending machines. I was told I could use the room's mini bar. Who wants snacks when they are hungry? Yes internet is at a cost which initially I was going to use, but then I saw the T-Mobile Hotpot (previously purchased) as a network choice at the hotel. So I saved some euros there. I did not partake in the hotels breakfast. The super market directly behind the hotel is about a minute walk. No thrills, but clean room and comfortable bed,

Room Tip: If your check=in is really late, stop to get food prior to your arrival at the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed here twice at the beginning and end of our Cosmos tour in October 2013. The first room was fine with twin beds as requested. The room was clean as was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable. My main issue with the room was it was very hot. The cooling in the room doesn't work when the heating is preset by reception. It just lessens the temperature of the heat rather than actually cool the room. This caused us to have to sleep with the window open as it was hot and stuffy. I ended up sick as a result.

There is a large supermarket at the rear of the hotel which was very handy. This meant we could purchase our own drinks and food rather than having to eat at the hotel. There was no tea or coffee making in the standard room.

The hotel was a 5E cab ride from the station. The train was easily caught from Frankfurt. But if you want to be in Frankfurt itself this is not the hotel for you.

There is free internet in the reception area but I found this difficult as many were waiting to use it and the keyboard was a german one not the standard keyboard I was used to, so finding symbols etc on it was difficult given there was a line to use it and I felt pressured to hurry up.

I believe in this day and age WiFi should be included in your room tariff. I resent having to pay 10E for WiFi.

The last night of our tour the room we received was vastly different from the first night of the tour and was much better although still too hot. We had a table to eat on as well as a lounge and small balcony. We were able to sleep with this door open as it was extremely hot.

The breakfasts our group ordered were fine as was the dinner we had on the last night.

One thing that did make my stay unpleasant was the ghastly smell of cigarette smoke all over the hotel. It was in the foyer and in the hallways. we could smell it in our room. In my country you can't smoke in hotel foyers etc and I found this very difficult being allergic to cigarette smoke. If you are a smoker though, this would likely not bother you at all.

I found the staff helpful and pleasant and overall the two nights we spent there were pretty good.

Room Tip: Try and get one of the corner rooms with the small balcony. Visit the supermarket for drinks and foo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jetadventureguru
Also consider these accommodations in or near Friedrichsdorf
Maritim Hotel Bad Homburg
#3 of 7 in Friedrichsdorf
Hotel Haus am Park
Hotel Haus am Park
#9 of 16 in Bad Homburg

Been to Mercure Hotel Bad Homburg Friedrichsdorf? Share your experiences!