“nice”
Review of Fethard Castle

Fethard Castle
More attraction details
Owner description: A fifteenth century castle built on the remains of a much earlier site. Following the arrival of the Anglo-Normans in Ireland in 1169, the district in which Fethard is situated was granted to a knight named Harvey de Montmorency. He, in turn, granted it to Christ Church, Canterbury, England. In 1200A.D. Canterbury ordered the construction of a castle at Fethard and a court to the north of the church, presumably on the site of the present castle.Email: hookinfo2@eircom.net
Wexford, Ireland
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“nice”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

nice place to visit on your way to hook head they have keep the place really tidy

Visited April 2012
1 Thank linda l

Mission, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“my family's home”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is not a review, but an attempt to gather information. My grandmother's family lived in this castle and left it to emmigrate to Canada in 1921. I do not know who owned the castle at the time or if they did. Their last name was Hall. The castle was offered back for sale to my great-aunt Doreen Hall more than 30 years ago, but she was told about the disrepair and that the cost to fix it would be to great. Does anyone have more current information about this place, besides the ancient histories?

Visited April 2012
1 Thank antchralx
co.tipperary
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“walk in rural town”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

nice walk but a castle is castle; one done thats it

wicklow
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“I will be doing the triathlon next year.”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Last weekend my family and I (17 members Father aged 85, 5 Siblings, Spouses and offspring) went to Fethard-on-Sea to enjoy the Hook Triathlon and Golf Classic. We stayed at the 4* Self-catering accommodation Grangecourt Holiday Cottages beside Grange Beach where the Triathlon was taking place. We arrived on Friday evening and settled into our cosy holiday homes. Mine had a fire place and a conservatory so we decided to adopt it as our HQ. As it was raining we lit the fire and settled back to having a good old chat and a glass of wine. The teenagers moved next door to watch dvds and chat and a feast of sweets. My Brother and his family had stopped at Nevilles Pub to eat before arriving and had a lovely meal. At about 10.30 the rain had stopped and we went outside to the garden to view the fireworks display which started off the Festival. I can honestly say that it was an excellent display and marvelous to watch as the sky was lovely and calm. Next morning we were up around 7.30am and the sun was shining so my Dad and I walked our dog Minnie down to the beach to have a look at the preparations which were underway for the triathlon which was due to begin at 10am. The tide was right in to the ramp and it sparkled in the sunshine. There were people laying down a special carpet from the top of the beach to the field where they had a marquee for the swimmers to change into their cycling gear. We went back to our holiday home and cooked the breakfast and watched the competitors walking past on their way to the beach.Unfortunately it started to rain before the race began but that did not put anyone off and we went back down to the beach to cheer them on. Then we went for a walk and 6 of us went off to participate in the Golf Classic at the Abbey Par 3 in the lashing rain. Ross and Sara Rose won the Junior Section. I went up to the Village to have my hair done and at 5pm we all assembled in HQ to watch the first half of the Irish/French rugby match. We had booked an 18 seater coach to arrive at 6pm to take us to Kelly's Hotel in Rosslare Stand for dinner and dancing. The journey took 40minutes and the meal was excellent. The coffee and dancing afterwards were enjoyable. We returned to Fethard around 12.30am and had a good night's sleep. Next morning saw us waking up to a fabulous sunny day. We headed off on a long walk past the beach and up a rambling country lane. We sampled the blackberries and they were scrumptious. My Dad and Peter (a Brother-in-law) went for a swim and afterwards we cooked up a nice breakfast with lovely spelt cereal, wexford strawberries and a beautiful breakfast brown bread all bought the day before at Kate's Farm Shop a feast for kings. Later on we went up to the village to collect the golf prize and get a look at the street fair. It was great fun and we bought some nice crafts and post cards. Fethard Castle is at the start of the village. It is ruin but the grounds around it are well kept. In the afternoon we barbequed and made some lovely salads again with vegetables from Kate's and also strawberries and cakes. Most of the family had to head off back to Dublin to get ready for work on Monday. Some of us were lucky to get to stay on for a 3rd night and again lit the fire and sat in chatting. Monday morning saw another beautiful sunny day and Dad and Peter headed off to the beach for a swim while the rest of us went for another walk. Afterwards we cooked up a lovely breakfast and started to tidy up. The houses were very comfortable and were equipped with everything needed to make them a home from home. After we handed in the keys we went up to the Village and had a lovely coffee at the Wheel House Cafe and sampled their banana fruit bread. On the journey back to Wicklow we stopped off at Kate's Farm shop once again to load up on local goodies to remind us of our relaxing family weekend break at Grangecourt. Next year we are thinking of participating in the triathlon (sorry should I say some of us are!) a wicklow tourist.

Visited August 2011