“Good regional food and pleasant atmosphere”
Review of La Nena

La Nena
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Anghiari
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
“Good regional food and pleasant atmosphere”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We spent a week in the area of Anghiari and La Nena was recommended to us as a good place for dinner. In fact we came back several times because we liked the food and also the laid-back, down-to-earth atmosphere. Excellent, tasty pasta and risotto dishes, which bring out regional favours (truffles, funghi, chicken sauces). The meat dishes we tried (e.g. scaloppini) were nicely cooked and tender. Nice house wine. In summer, sitting outside is recommended because of the view down the Anghiari main street, but you need to book in advance. The inside has a cosy and rustic charm which we liked very much. The service was friendly and patient (with the sometimes many tourists who do not necessarily speak Italian). A place to recommend if you like good food and an authentic atmosphere.

• Visited July 2014

San Francisco, California
“Not living up to the reputation”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We we're firmly recommend visiting this restaurant and went straight there and reserved a table for the evening. The location is great and whilst the outdoor seating is essential in the road the view down the hill to the dead straight roman road is fantastic. The service at best was curt, unhelpful and verged on on the rude which didn't make for a pleasant experience. Still whilst we opened our own drinks and poured ourselves (the children didn't even get glasses) we hoped to be wowed by the food.
The pasta course to be fair was well cooked and the accompanying sauces tasty, the presentation was sloppy and served on cracked and chipped tableware, not shabby chic, just shabby. For the secondi I was pursuaded to order the speciality (veal) with zucchini, and my wife had the grilled lamb. The roughly cut pieces of veal were as tough as old boots and swamped in a mush of overlooked zucchini (amongst other vegetables) no particular taste to speak of and near impossible to eat. the grilled lamb appeared to be fairly poor cuts of meat and again was difficult to eat. Whilst making allowances for language differences I'm still wondering if "what's the problem" is an ideal question a waitress should be asking paying customers when they've not cleared the plate. We went elsewhere for gelato.

Visited July 2014
Anghiari, Italy
“Dinner showcasing IGP Extra Virgin Olive Oil”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

It is always a pleasure to have a meal at La Nena, and these special yearly events showcasing the newest extra virgin olive oil production are really outstanding dining experiences. Everything comes together, the carefully designed menu and its execution, the different oils that are offered in combination with each course, the wines chosen by the producer to accompany the meal as perfectly as possible, the convivial atmosphere, and the always impeccable service. I have been going to these dinners every year since the program started and I hope to keep going for many more years to come.

• Visited March 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Has a long reputation for fine dining and quality food.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

The night we tried this restaurant we my wife and I were excited as it has a reputation for great true authentic regional food. The wait staff was not that attentive, unfortunately, and we never really got to enjoy our food. Our wine came and then our appetizer but as we started to eat water began dripping down onto the edge of our table and onto the floor beside us from the above ceiling. People all around us were pointing and staring but our waiter seemed not to notice and once i called attention to the matter simply said in Italian that it was probably the water from the bath upstairs that had overflowed. My wife I were amazed that he made no attempt to wipe our table or the floor and did not offer to reseat us at another table. Since we were hungry and didn't want to miss any potential good flavors from the region we continued on trying to eat our dinner, drink our wine and forget about the constant drip,drip, drip, of water bouncing off our table. I was so upset by the attitude and non attention of the server that I can't remember that much about our meals. We hurried through dinner leaning to one side of our table ate, paid our bill, which came with no offer to give us a discount for the conditions we suffered through. Now in fairness this experience was due to an apparently inexperienced or poorly trained service staff. The owner of the restaurant has a fine reputation for the best cuisine in the immediate area. She has been featured in promotional videos fir the Cummune of Anghiari, featuring her cooking skills, and all looked fabulous!! This restaurant has been recommended to me by many of my Italian friends who live in the
area. It was unfortunate that my one and only experience was
not the special one filled with wonderful flavors, and the taste sensations that I was hoping to find. If I were you at least put it on your list of special eatery's in Anghiari after all what is the chance that lightning will strike twice in the same place. We will probably give it another try ourselves. Mangia Bene

• Visited May 2013
Tallinn, Estonia
“Nice Meal, Super View”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

A typical Tuscan meal, with a view down the valley. Good wines, decent price, and some hearty country dishes you don't find stateside

Visited July 2013