“Lost in the middle of nowhere”
Review of Hotel del Lago

Hotel del Lago
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cavriglia
Reviewed 1 July 2013

First (and last) time a friend of mine books on behalf of the group.
Lost in the middle of nowhere, in front of a lake that looks a bit creepy, this Bates-style hotel is quite old, with tiny rooms, humid walls, and supersmall restrooms.
If you arrive later than midnight, you need to call the staff and they quickly open you the doors.
The breakfast is delicious and abundant, all fresh good which I appreciated.
Overall it needs a deep renovation.
If you are on a low budget and want to stop by en route to other destinations, this is the place.
Otherwise, just skip it.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that are not facing the lake, they are the most humid ones and also with insects comin...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Diabolik77

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I spent a few nights over several trips to the area.
Hotel was nice, though rooms (and toilets in particular) were very small (and I am a big person...).
Location is fine for tourism in the surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2013

From the moment I walked onto the back patio and was greeted by the Signora of the house with a warm and welcoming smile, I knew I had chosen well. The Hotel del Lago is run by a father-mother-son team that are attentive, charming, and well versed in the local attractions, and no matter how busy they may be, they always found time to do their best to meet my needs.
Each morning the Signora greeted me in the dining room and after the first morning, knew that I craved a double cappuccino first and foremost. It was usually set down in front of me just as I took my seat in the warm, wood paneled room, and then she would bring a huge tray of fresh-baked pastries to the table, urging me to take more than one. After the pastry, a platter of salumi and cheeses was brought out and that, along with the fruit juices and yogurt set on each table, made for a great start to any day. Again, after the first morning, she knew that after breakfast I enjoyed sitting out in the garden for a second cappuccino, and she would collect my cup and refill it without my having to ask.
My single room was a tad small, but impeccably cleaned and straightened every day, with fresh linens and towels set out. The knotty pine walls and large window that opened out over the lake really gave me the feeliing that I was visiting a friend or relative, rather than in a hotel. For those who enjoy watching birds, there is a wealth of waterfowl that call this lake home, and I saw some of the rarer birds of Italy while basking in the sun or walking along the shoreline. Each morning I was there, the lake was inshrouded in a veil of mist that slowly dissipated, giving me glances of hilltop villas and villages on the distant shore, like something out of a dream.
The Hotel del Lago is located in the Chianti region, and short half day trips to the wineries of the region is an easy thing if you rent a car. I also took day trips to Siena and Assisi,easily reached with plenty of time for sight leisurely sightseeing and a nice lunch at some roadside trattoria, and still arriviing back at the hotel before dark. Incidently, I recommended this hotel to two friends traveling to Italy for the first time, and their experience was a very pleasant one as well, so it wasn't that I just happened to arrive at a propitious time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake. With the screens, you can leave your window open at night a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank nyingma13
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Family hotel, nice people, breakfast .... The best!!!
We have really good time

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2011

A friendly little hotel next to a rather crappy lake. Rooms are clean, breakfast is generous and staff, though speaking only Italian, are helpful and friendly. gets very hot in summer though!

• Stayed: August 2011
7  Thank GriddleOctopus
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The hotel itself is in a very beautiful area. It is difficult to find. Public transportation only takes you to a bus stop about fifteen-twenty minutes walking distance from the hotel. My wife and I loved the staff, breakfast and atmosphere the hotel provides. It really makes you feel like you're just staying with an Italian family or something. The bad things are the beds are terrible, the bathrooms are small, and you can hear anything going on within fifty feet of your room. But, honestly, any of the 'traditional' family run hotels in Italy are like this. They are old, but have charm. This hotel just lacks the ease of finding it. I'm more of a modern/clean hotel goer by preference. So, some people like this type of hotel. I know a lot of the people staying at this hotel while we were there told us they loved it. I'm one for clean beds that don't squeek, newer bathrooms, newer furniture, etc. The breakfast was good though. And, we did enjoy the staff there. I would probably find something a little more modern and clean if I were to visit Florence again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank jandelin311
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I stayed there in November 2006 and it was part of an expedia package that came with flight, rental car, and hotel. Expedia advertised it as a hotel "in Florence". We thought it was close to Florence or on the outskirts but turned out to be about 1 hour drive from Florence! So it is very, very far out in the country. Its a beautiful drive to get there, the Tuscany landscape is just unbelievable. But it is very difficult to find, you will need an excellent map before you travel to Italy. We didn't use GPS but from reading the other reviews, the GPS doesn't help much either. All I can say is the first time going to the hotel from Florence took 3 hours of driving and map reading, looking for road signs etc, and pulling a lot of u-turns in the small towns looking for roads. But, once we found it we got accustomed to the area quickly and had no further problems finding the hotel. The hotel is very nice, the weather was totally perfect when I was there so we didn't need AC or fans in the rooms but I can imagine the summer gets pretty hot and it might get uncomfortable in the room,not sure about that. The bathrooms were very small but I don't mind minor inconveniences like that. The staff was very nice and had a great free breakfast every morning. The hotel is an ancient farmhouse converted into a hotel, its like 1000 years old and is in better shape than most new houses in the US, amazing. One thing we really had a problem with - they have a curfew! If you arrive after 1am from a side trip, you are out of luck, they do not open the doors after 1am until around 6am. That alone ensures I will never want to go there again, I need to come and go as I please, apparently this is more of a bed and breakfast family style hotel where they expect their guests to be back by a decent hour. But if you can make sure you return to the hotel every night by 1am, and you dont mind being 1 hour from Florence out in the Tuscan countryside, this is a decent hotel, very nice and rustic, no frills, just the traditional Italian simple style - beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank bearrulez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavriglia
Hotel Villa Casagrande
#1 of 3 in Montevarchi
Villa Barberino
Villa Barberino
#6 of 10 in Cavriglia

Been to Hotel del Lago? Share your experiences!