“Disappointing”

Hotel Resort Antico Casale di Scansano
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scansano
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Booked this trip through Hidden Trails and was expecting a nice horseback riding trip. The hotel is nice although not 4 star quality. The rooms are big and offer spectacular views of the Tuscan countryside. The beds though are hard and uncomfortable. The bathroom is fine except for the shower which is very small and cramped. If the beds were updated and better showers installed then it might deserve the 4 star rating. The staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfasts has a good selection of cakes and fresh fruit. The dinners were good and offered a nice selection of local cuisine. The spa is nice although the massage was more a rub down than a real massage. I do recommend Stephie though for a facial. We did not have a car and can only spend so much time in the spa. Recommend that you bring your own car so you can explore the region.

As for the horseback riding this was my first trip of this type. The guide Luigi made this trip really disappointing. Although me and my friend were the only 2 who were there for this horseback riding stay we were largely ignored on the trail. Luigi had a friend visiting and Luigi would probably preferred to spend time alone together. On one ride when we were cantering and my horse slipped and almost fell I yelled out and all Luigi did was look back and then keep going. There was no checking if I or horse were ok. I had been looking forward to this trip for months and was deeply disappointed with the horseback riding and lack of customer service from the guide. Luigi clearly has his own way of doing things and doesn't care at all about the guests who pay a lot of money to come there for a nice horseback riding experience. I would not recommend this trip for anyone. For the hotel it is a nice place to stay a couple of days and explore the region (not a week but a couple of days).

Room Tip: Most rooms have a nice view of the countryside.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Texantraveler_009
There are newer reviews for Hotel Resort Antico Casale di Scansano

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We booked 5 nights at the Antico as part of a horse riding package through HIdden Trails (who I will never book with again since they were not forthcoming at all with information regarding the hotel) and I'm sorry to say we were very disappointed with the hotel. It is not a 4 star in the least and more of a 2 star as far as hotels in Italy go. I do understand that it is an old property and it does have a lot of charm but the rooms were very uncomfortable, extremely old and really horrible beds and bedding, the a/c was hardly working, the showers are so small I have no idea how a large person could ever fit inside and well - the customer service was lacking. The spa is nice if you use the pools and saunas and I did enjoy those but the spa services were not good at all. I don't think they were properly trained and spoke very little English so there was no asking them to do something different or to tell them they were hurting you or to ask them what the heck they were doing!

The meals were ok. The breakfasts were fine even though one would expect fresh coffees and not something you press a button on a machine to get in the morning. The lunches were the same every single day - same old luke warm soup, leftover vegetables from the night before and old bread. Dinners were nice but the menu was the same every night and for those who don't eat meat having the same pasta 5 nights in a row became old very quick. The waitstaff at the restaurant were I have say very nice an friendly and the best part about the hotel.

We came for the riding so were happy to ignore everything else. The riding….was not great. The guide basically just took off riding and hardly spoke a word while we were made to just follow along and keep up. The horses are very well taken care of and seemed ok but due to the landscape you really couldn't do much more but go up and down hills and walk along the roads with the cars zipping by.

I can see how some folks would like this place but for me and my friends it was not at all what Hidden Trails led us to believe it would be.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank HannahRome
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We enjoyed several quiet relaxing days here, checking out the riding, the spa and the cuisine. Not many other English speaking patrons when we were there, but that made it all the more private. Most guests were Italian. The inn was busy during the weekend, but not so busy during the week. Our accommodations were nice. Nothing fancy, but quiet and spacious. The food was superb... Breakfast, lunch, dinner. We even did several cooking classes with Chef Claudio which was great and we got to eat our creations for lunch afterwards! The spa was very nice, with multiple soaking tubs, saunas and a dead sea salt pool inside. They provide a whole menu of spa treatments and the hotel signage refers to it as a "Beauty Farm". There are also two outdoor pools and a riding center. Guests can explore the rolling Tuscan countryside with Luigi on horseback. The view from the inn was stunning! The staff was very friendly and attentive. It was a great place for a very quiet getaway.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Fells like a fairy tail , great cuisine , splendide landscapes ,jacuzzi outside with a glass of champagne under the moon light.
It's a high end place but for connoisseurs only
This is a place for experienced travelers .Visit the little village and try the local wine called morrelino and the local olive oil with herbs , best one I ever tasted.If you're not satisfied with the local spa, get your car and drive for 20 min till terme di saturnia, one of the most famous spa in the world.Do buy the facial mud mask from terme di saturnia , after 25 min you look 18 again :)))
Not a place for children.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Antico Castile -- The staff were very kind and hospitable, the rooms cozy and the restaurant was very nice. I think it’s a great location if you’re looking to get away to a quiet, private place and looking to really experience the Tuscan culture. We both had rooms with a veranda overlooking the Tuscan country side which I would strongly suggest. We elected the 6 day horse trekking package which was fantastic! Our trekking guide Luigi, was personable and knowledgeable and made the trip very enjoyable. After our daily treks, we relaxed at the SPA in the afternoons which was perfect.

Only 1 minor drawback: Being a horse owner, I would have liked to see the horses with more room to roam in the grass pastures vs. kept in a small penned up area. Other than this, I would definitely give Antico Castile very high ratings and would definitely go back again!

Room Tip: Rooms with a veranda are definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Stayed for a week with my spouse and had a fantastic time. We enjoyed the food, several spa services and 6 days of horseback riding and would happily do it all over again. The bed was comfortable, the staff was very friendly and attentive, and the food and drink were plentiful and very well prepared. Luigi, our horseback riding guide, was outstanding and took us on some truly memorable rides and to some wonderful lunches/picnics Thanks for such a great vacation!.

Room Tip: There are no screens so tuck curtains around patio doors to keep any flying critters out!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I travel to italy for work every year and sometimes twice s year. for a little piece of Paradise away from the tourist traps is Antico Casale! A long way to travel and tricky to get there without a car but am going back for my fourth consecutive year in December! Can't wait! Location is so peaceful and besutiful, staff now feel like family, food is to die for - from Signora Maria's amazing cakes baked fresh every morning, to the magic that Claudio creates in his kitchen. If you like cooking I can highly recommend his cooking classes which I have taken twice and come home just in time for Xmas to prepare what I learnt for Xmas lunch. Marta and her staff go out of their way to help. The Beauty Farm is what keeps me going throughout the year as I look forward to the best massages I've had anywhere in the world including luxury liners. My only criticism on my last 3 visits was that at night I was lonely having dinner by myself but this year at last my husband, my daughter and baby granddaughter are coming with me, so we are trying an apartment, have previously always stayed in the hotel. I can't wait to see my Scansano friends again and meet baby Anna! After over 30 trips to Italy including my bienniel College tours which cover most of the Wonders that Italy has to offer, this place is THE BEST,

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Fulvia V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scansano
Borgo Magliano Resort
#1 of 22 in Grosseto
Hotel Saturno Fonte Pura
Country Resort Le Due Ruote
Bio Agriturismo Podere Santa Croce

Been to Hotel Resort Antico Casale di Scansano? Share your experiences!