“Disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Geiranger
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

This is an expensive hotel but there is so much that is disappointing. Rooms starting to look tatty, windows don't open properly, bathroom was filthy with hairs and blood splattered over the toilet seat.

The tablecloths are stained, staff surly and taciturn (mostly foreigners who come and go so they don't have to care). Dinner is a buffet style with limp salads, sweaty meats and slushy defrosted desserts. Don't bother - go into the village instead. You will need a car, long, windy, very steep, busy road with no path - would be dangerous with children.

Positives: good bar and lounge area with nice indoor pool - again bit dirty and hard to access towels.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side are next to the waterfall and the industrial fans so it's noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dressupinyou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Forde, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

We booked this hotel based on an offer we had received from Amex. We were two couples and a baby. The rooms provided were sad, disappointing and embarrassing. Worn Out! Things such as peeling paint, pulled threads on bedspread, old worn carpet, broken lamps. It felt like dormitories from the 70's. For the price per night of 1200 person we felt sick to our stomachs. We asked for a room with a view and were told it would be 400kr extra when we booked. After going back to reception and asking for an upgraded room we moved floors and rooms and suddenly felt the value for money was on point. Modern rooms 571 and 570 had comfortable furniture, large bathrooms and a beautiful view!!!! Housekeeping staff were friendly and efficient. The dinner and breakfast buffet included in our rate exceeded our expectations with fresh seafood and local fares. The cheeses, desserts, homemade ice cream were highlights. The waiting staff were adequate but lacked urgency and friendliness with service.

The spa and pool were included in our room price. This also made the room rate acceptable. The pool indoor and out with a view was heated and spectacular!! We made use of the children's pool, the heated lounge area, indoor and outdoor pool as well as the children's ballroom. There are not towels provided at the pool area so you must take the ones from your room and if you want a dry bath bathrobe replacement for your wet one its 50kroner which bothered me. Towels were provided in the spa area.

The spa was by far one of the best I have been in. The view from the sauna of the sheep farm, the transition between hot and cold pools and showers was amazing. We enjoyed the relax room with tea and sofas and light snacks as you could sit in your bathrobe and take in the Geiranger fjord. The therapist that gave us our massages was amazing. The spa staff at the reception however could have been friendlier and a little more accommodating.

We also enjoyed the hotels exhibition of their classical car collection and the live band in the dance hall. There was no shortage of things to be entertained by at this hotel.

They desperately need to renovate rooms and focus a little more on service attributes. The crib provided was also in need of an upgrade which doesn't cost more than 200kroner so for the safety of child guests to come I hope they don't take 30 years like with the rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank can-nor
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed here as part of a package tour. It was nice and our room looked out to the fjord. I slept to the sound of gushing water from the fall outside. Coming from the city, this experience is awesome. The service we experienced while here was generally good. The hotel is a short uphill walk from the village so it is actually also quite convenient

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Larvik, Vestfold, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

It's a great Hotel and after driving and hiking in the mountains all day it so good to come back and have a nice meal at the restautant. They served good food. The lounge is wery big and relaxing and even with many people sitting and talking it would still be as only few people were at the place.

I did try the swiming pool and on a good summerday it was wery nice. For a Hotel pool it will get 4stars of six

• Stayed May 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

Disappointed with the service, great location superb dining room but the service is very mediocre, the staff are young and very international and unfortunately appear to lack any training, however the prices are very high for both food and accommodation, I was asked 3 times on entering the dining area, which group I was with, I was not familiar with the term, I later understood that the staff needed to know which bus Tour I was with, I could not understand why they continued to ask or indeed why it was so important, I now know.
Unfortunately the staff are from every possible country they are neither fluent in Norwegian or English they lack any formal training and they do not understand service, hence my disappointment I definitely will NOT return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the fjord.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Seayeaitch
Moss, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

I visited during February, and the price I got for a single room was not that bad. But everything else is REALLY expensive.

I got breakfast and buffet dinner included in my stay, but I had to buy lunch my self. The price to get the lunch brought to the room was _insane_ They charced around 240 NOK for a burger, and then they added 160 NOK to bring it to the room (that is a total of about $72 for a burger!). Drinks are also way to expensive. 0.4 of cheap beer costs 77 NOK ($14) and a standard GT will cost you 115 NOK ($21).

The buffet costs 499 NOK ($90) f you don't have it included in the room. At that price I would feel like I had been robbed in a back alley. The food was ok, but it was NOT worth such a premium charge. Since it was included in the room price, it was not to bad. The same goes for breakfast. To buy it is not worth it, but it is a decent hotel breakfast when included. It is far from the best I have had, but it it also better than most.

The hotel itself is really nice, but the rooms are starting to show some age. The carpeting looks dated and the color scheme of the rooms just don't look up to date. All in all the rooms are nothing to complain about.

The access to the swimming pool and the outdoor heated pool, that everybody who stays at the hotel has free access to was really nice. There is something special about siting outside in -10 in hot water drinking a beer! Everybody who stays at the hotel should try it.

People come here for the scenery, and man is it nice. The nature is incredible, even for me who grew up with the ocean and deep fjords in the north of Norway. It is simply breathtaking and worth both the cost and journey (it is a long way from everything).

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Arlendius
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

I had stayed Union Hotel Geiranger for two nights. And I wish to stay longer if I could, Staff's so friendly there, I remember first night I go for the buffer dinner price was 505 Nok , after I sit down a staff come and tell me I can get 50% discount for tonight and tomorrow night's Christmas dinner buffer(605Nok). I was shocking surprised!
And food is so good! Specifically the Pork rid with crispy skin, the meat just melted once in my mouth. (I'm a Chef with 15years experience)
The Hotel located middle of the V shape of the geiranger river. I can't share that feeling of view by texts. Wish I could post more photos and videos for you.
At the last day, they allow me to stay until 18:00 it's time the Bus arrived. I got 50% discount on that day's lunch once more.
Again thanks so much for Union Hotel Geiranger.It was a pleasure time to stayed with you.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Jondras33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geiranger
Grande Fjord Hotel
Lunheim Accomodation
Lunheim Accomodation
#1 of 1 in Geiranger
Grande Hytteutleige og Camping

Been to Hotel Union Geiranger? Share your experiences!