“Best hotel in Norway!!”

Hotel Union Geiranger
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Geiranger
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had a room overlooking the Fiord!! Absolute drop dead beautiful. I felt I was inside
Of a post card. We stayed 2 nights with the dinner package. Food was fantastic. The best
Part of the hotel was the outdoor heated pool/ one of the best I have ever been in.
No trip to Norway would be compleat without staying at this wonderful historic Hotel

Room Tip: Rooms with view !! Worth the price
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pilates2

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights last week. The view was breath taking. We had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the fjord. The bed was very comfortable. It was clearly off season and the hotel was quiet with some limited services, which was ok with us. Breakfast was simple but good. The hiking is amazing with endless choices. One downside was the price, but unlike the previous reviewer, to us it was worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated section and a view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DMH_in_NH
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed for one night during the Off-season (late March)
Usually I dont pay over $150 a night on a hotel (I usually use hostels), but made an exception when I decided to spend the night in the beautiful Fjord. Upon check in I was greeted by a wonderful receptionist who gave me a room with a view at no extra charge and from then on anyone I spoke to was helpful and accommodating, really the staff here is lovely.
Now as for the room, aside from the view it was nothing special, in fact I was cold most of the night and the mattress was mediocre at best, I did not sleep well. The pool was great though.
I had Dinner in the Restaurant Julie, I did not have the four course meal that was offered, instead I opted for the pasta on their menu and was sorely disappointed. It was not tasty and upset my stomach.
I was woken that evening at 10pm by the receptionist inquiring if I would be out and about anymore that evening, the reason being there were only about 5 guests total and they wanted to ensure everyones safety and inform me should I need anything a security guard was one button away. For me, a female solo traveler, I appreciated this extra effort from the staff.
Breakfast the next morning was a bit greasy but had lots of options, I enjoyed it.

All in all my stay was certainly not bad. It just wasnt what I hoped for for almost $300. But if you do stay, get a room with a view, the sunset can be quite nice.

Room Tip: Get one with a view!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Skye M
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Great hotel, fabulous food. Only down side was that we were a bunch of guys travelling together and wanted single rooms hence we finished up at the back of the hotel in a tiny single room with a poor view. Our travelling companions in couples had great rooms at the front. ( will have to take the wife next time)
As with most hotels in this area the food is prepared as a buffet and no table service. I don't mind this and I think it is a benefit as the choice and quality is endless, you pick what you want when you want and eat at your pace.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the fjord, it worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 24 February 2014

For any traveller to the west coast of Norway, a visit to Geiranger is a must. Given that it takes quite some time to get there (especially if you travel by car), it makes sense to stay over for at least a night.

There are not many hotel alternatives, and our choice for the family of 5 was Hotel Unión. It has long traditions, and the website convinced me with its wonderful photographs.

I must say, that I left the hotel with mixed feelings.

On the one hand, the location and the common areas of the hotel fulfulled expectations. But the standard of the rooms and the food was a bit of a let down.

The rooms we were given, had not been refurbished over the last 20 years, and the bathrooms were in bad need for modernization. Our windows were just above a ventilation outlet, which ouzed what seemed like kitchen fumes.... So the idea of opening the Windows for ventilation was quickly abandoned.

We opted for the half pension with dinner included. The buffet was quite big, but the quality of the food was cafetería level. When food is kept warm over a long period of time on display, it looses its charm. The cold cuts and the cheese were the best options. Breakfast, however, worked better.

The problem is partly that the hotel is very large, with bus loads of tourists in the summer months - with hundreds of guests requiring food at the same time. So it is probably imposible for the kitchen to offer a la carte quality food.

If you crave for gourmet treats during your stay, it may be a better option to dine outside the hotel, but I am unsure as to the options in Geiranger.

Bring your swim suit, because they have a nice new SPA section, with both indoor and outdoor pool.

At check out they charged us twice for the stay, a fact I discovered a few weeks later when reviewing my Visa bill. However, the matter was cleared up very efficiently after sending en e-mail to the admin department of the hotel. So no complaint there.

Summmary:

POSITIVE: View, location, breakfast buffet, Spa and Pool
NEGATIVE: Crowded for dinner, rooms and bathrooms in need of refurbishment

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the fjord side, with a nice view over the valley.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vikongo
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here one night on a cross-Norway tour. Very nice, modern hotel, with attentive staff. Interesting display of old cars. Great view of the fjord. A bit of a walk down hill into town (remember what Mrs. Newton said, If you walk down, you must walk up.) but worth it for the scenery and babbling brook. Dinner and breakfast were above average for our tour.

The hot tub was not hot, a consistent problem through Norway. It was about 80 degrees F, which, if it's snowing a little, feels real cold. I joined a group of German tourists and shared a beer. Still real cold. The steam room is co-ed, but when I went in there was an older Japanese couple au natural. The wife did not speak English or Norwegian, and for some reason thought that the steam room was private. The husband spoke passable English and we shared a good laugh.

Room Tip: Most have a view. Unless you are there in the winter, get a view of the fjord. Pay extra if need b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SoCalTraveler91356
Reviewed 28 January 2014

A excellent hotel in a grand location. At the head of the Geirnager Fjord this family owned and operated hotel that goes back to the end of the 19th century stands out as a important once in a lifetime experience. The spa is really high quality: and the food is nice as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Britt64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geiranger
Grande Fjord Hotel
24 mi away
First Hotel Raftevold
First Hotel Raftevold
#1 of 1 in Hornindal

Been to Hotel Union Geiranger? Share your experiences!