“Good Weekend Away”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Geiranger
Alesund, Norway
“Good Weekend Away”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel was lovely but only great for a short weekend away. The hotel and surroundings could not be faulted with a great food selection and lovely service. The only 2 negatives we had was that the room was so old, and unfashionable. Nothing nice and romantic about it for our first year anniversary!! There was no view, actually we were facing into the care takers living room next door! I just didn't understand this as the beautiful fjords were on the other side and the hotel was not full! This could have been due to the fact that we had a dog with us so we assigned an older room maybe. Also we had to pay and extra 300 kr to have our dog with us...... for what???? a gross room??? Our level had at least 5 other dogs so it was not like having a dog there was uncommon.
Apart from that it was a wonderful stay in a breathtakingly beautiful area! The out door spa is like something out of a dream!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jayden_555

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed for a weekend, on a Family trip to Geiranger.
The room was very Nice, with large windows and a great view.
A sliding door allowed for plenty of fresh air.
The matress in the bed was worn, and compressed so much we could feel the hard bottom of the bed.
This caused poor sleeping quality, and is not acceptable at the room rate we were charged.
Also, the sound insulation was very poor and we could easily hear what was being said and done in other rooms from the bathroom in Our room.
Other than that, the room was Nice and clean.
The Bath area with indoor and outdoor pools was very Nice.
The veteran cars parked in the hotel lobby and exhibited in the hotel basement, was a great detail.
All the staff were professionally courtious, and we were given tips on hiking routes when we checked in.
Both the breakfast and dinner buffets were GREAT.
We really could eat as much as we wanted of a lot of wonderful and tasty dishes.

One thing though: When travelling in Our own country, we expect the staff to understand and speak a minimum of Norwegian.
All of the dining room staff only spoke English, and this led to a couple some misunderstanding while ordering wine for dinner.
For a guest, this could be a problem if one doesn't speak English at all, wich is very likely, especially for senior Citizens.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors, facing the fjord, for the best view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maddawg01
houston texas
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had a room overlooking the Fiord!! Absolute drop dead beautiful. I felt I was inside
Of a post card. We stayed 2 nights with the dinner package. Food was fantastic. The best
Part of the hotel was the outdoor heated pool/ one of the best I have ever been in.
No trip to Norway would be compleat without staying at this wonderful historic Hotel

Room Tip: Rooms with view !! Worth the price
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pilates2
Hopkinton, New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights last week. The view was breath taking. We had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the fjord. The bed was very comfortable. It was clearly off season and the hotel was quiet with some limited services, which was ok with us. Breakfast was simple but good. The hiking is amazing with endless choices. One downside was the price, but unlike the previous reviewer, to us it was worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated section and a view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DMH_in_NH
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed for one night during the Off-season (late March)
Usually I dont pay over $150 a night on a hotel (I usually use hostels), but made an exception when I decided to spend the night in the beautiful Fjord. Upon check in I was greeted by a wonderful receptionist who gave me a room with a view at no extra charge and from then on anyone I spoke to was helpful and accommodating, really the staff here is lovely.
Now as for the room, aside from the view it was nothing special, in fact I was cold most of the night and the mattress was mediocre at best, I did not sleep well. The pool was great though.
I had Dinner in the Restaurant Julie, I did not have the four course meal that was offered, instead I opted for the pasta on their menu and was sorely disappointed. It was not tasty and upset my stomach.
I was woken that evening at 10pm by the receptionist inquiring if I would be out and about anymore that evening, the reason being there were only about 5 guests total and they wanted to ensure everyones safety and inform me should I need anything a security guard was one button away. For me, a female solo traveler, I appreciated this extra effort from the staff.
Breakfast the next morning was a bit greasy but had lots of options, I enjoyed it.

All in all my stay was certainly not bad. It just wasnt what I hoped for for almost $300. But if you do stay, get a room with a view, the sunset can be quite nice.

Room Tip: Get one with a view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Skye M
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Great hotel, fabulous food. Only down side was that we were a bunch of guys travelling together and wanted single rooms hence we finished up at the back of the hotel in a tiny single room with a poor view. Our travelling companions in couples had great rooms at the front. ( will have to take the wife next time)
As with most hotels in this area the food is prepared as a buffet and no table service. I don't mind this and I think it is a benefit as the choice and quality is endless, you pick what you want when you want and eat at your pace.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the fjord, it worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dave B
Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
Reviewed 24 February 2014

For any traveller to the west coast of Norway, a visit to Geiranger is a must. Given that it takes quite some time to get there (especially if you travel by car), it makes sense to stay over for at least a night.

There are not many hotel alternatives, and our choice for the family of 5 was Hotel Unión. It has long traditions, and the website convinced me with its wonderful photographs.

I must say, that I left the hotel with mixed feelings.

On the one hand, the location and the common areas of the hotel fulfulled expectations. But the standard of the rooms and the food was a bit of a let down.

The rooms we were given, had not been refurbished over the last 20 years, and the bathrooms were in bad need for modernization. Our windows were just above a ventilation outlet, which ouzed what seemed like kitchen fumes.... So the idea of opening the Windows for ventilation was quickly abandoned.

We opted for the half pension with dinner included. The buffet was quite big, but the quality of the food was cafetería level. When food is kept warm over a long period of time on display, it looses its charm. The cold cuts and the cheese were the best options. Breakfast, however, worked better.

The problem is partly that the hotel is very large, with bus loads of tourists in the summer months - with hundreds of guests requiring food at the same time. So it is probably imposible for the kitchen to offer a la carte quality food.

If you crave for gourmet treats during your stay, it may be a better option to dine outside the hotel, but I am unsure as to the options in Geiranger.

Bring your swim suit, because they have a nice new SPA section, with both indoor and outdoor pool.

At check out they charged us twice for the stay, a fact I discovered a few weeks later when reviewing my Visa bill. However, the matter was cleared up very efficiently after sending en e-mail to the admin department of the hotel. So no complaint there.

Summmary:

POSITIVE: View, location, breakfast buffet, Spa and Pool
NEGATIVE: Crowded for dinner, rooms and bathrooms in need of refurbishment

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the fjord side, with a nice view over the valley.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Vikongo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geiranger
Hotel Geiranger
Best Western Plus Sagafjord Hotel
Fjellro Turisthotell
Fjellro Turisthotell
#2 of 2 in Valldal

Been to Hotel Union Geiranger? Share your experiences!