“4* accomodation but only 2* service”
Review of Luna Alvor Village

Luna Alvor Village
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My partner and I thought the accomodation at the hotel was as described. We had booked a junior suite overlooking the pool. It was bright and modern with a seperate bedroom and a large kitchen/lounge area. All the suites have a large balcony. The kitchen area was well equipped and our first impressions were good. Overall the hotel has a very contemporary modern feel to it.
Our initail opinion changed however as our room was only serviced/cleaned 4 times during our 10 day stay despite us being told it should be done daily. Reception informed us they were aware of the problem when I had to ask for more toilet rolls but the situation did not improve. There was also a lack of umbrellas around the pool and when other customers enquired about getting some more, the reception just said that they were on order. Eventually after our 7th day some more umbrellas arrived but as the temperature during our stay was in the mid 30's people were quite frustrated by this.
The hotel is very quiet and there was no entertainment laid on despite reading it was in the hotel info in the rooms. The bar area was pleasant but was very quiet, hardly any background music played or permanent bar person present so was rarely used by customers.
Breakfast in the hotel is very good however and offers a wide range of choice.
Overall we felt that the hotel lacked atmosphere and personality which I think is a real shame as it has so much potential but this did not affect us enjoying our holiday as we spent most days going out and about in and around Alvor (which is a beautiful gem of a place that still mananges to maintain its character and charm) The restaurants in the town are clean and the service is of a high standard.

2  Thank Lois1963

Reviewed 15 June 2011

We went as a couple in our 50's for a short break 5 days from Wed to Sun. First impressions were good. The lobby is clean and tidy. The hotel is a modern building as you can see from the pictures posted. Our room overlooked the back of the hotel towards the pool which I asked for. I don't think I would have liked a room at the front although it overlooked the garden and grass, a few feet away was the car park.

Plenty of car parking spaces although I can imagine that it would fill up if everyone had a car.

The room was cleaned every day and fresh towels and flannels supplied at every clean. Each room has a kitchen with all the usual appliances, cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster, dishwasher, full size fridge and a coffee maker. It was well equipped with plates, glasses and cutlery. There is a free to use safe in the room. Hair dryer in the bathroom although my wife complained because she had to hold the button on for heat but she got used to it. The beds as usual are firm but the pillows are very soft just how I like them. Copious amounts of VERY hot water so be careful if you have kids with you as I swear you could make a cup of tea with the water. Whilst on the subject of water, when the toilet was flushed the pipes made a high pitched whistle until the cistern filled and came from the cold water supply but nothing I did with the tap in the tank cupboard would stop it. I didn't complain as we were only there a few days. We could hear the same noise from other rooms.

Breakfast was phenomenal and replenished by the staff regularly so you would never go hungry here for sure. They do an evening meal which is very limited, whilst there the 5 days the menu never changed and consisted of duck with rice and salad, lasagne, and cod in sauce, and one desert, although not on the menu I was told by the barman that there was soup to start and all for 7.50 euro per person although we never dined in.

Drinks at the bar when you could find a barman was reasonable although in Alvor you can buy cheaper of course but as hotel bars go it was a fair price and something like 2.5 euro for a large beer and 3.50 for a glass of wine. The hotel information pack says the bar is open until midnight but whenever we got back from and evening meal the place was dead and only the TV and the receptionist for company needless to say we never had a night cap in the bar but chose to buy drinks from the supermarket and drink them on the balcony.

Pingo Doce is a new supermarket which is just at the top of the road turn left and left again it only opened at the beginning of June and was told by an ex pat in there that it was the cheapest locally. Prices on par with the UK. Wine can be bought in there for as little as 1 euro but I can't vouch for its quality.

Alvor village itself is quaint and was very quiet until Friday 9th when it was the Portuguese bank holiday weekend and we were told that they come down in droves from Lisbon to the Algarve for the weekend.. I felt sorry for the restaurateurs at first as they were plying for your business at every glance of their menu's which was embarrassing when you kept saying no thanks. We ate there on the river front twice and had very good food for a reasonable price. Chicken piri piri and grilled sardines are everywhere for about 6 to 8 euros. So a meal with a bottle of wine and water with couvert which we ate as a starter came to 30 to 40 euros. Alvor is probably the best little village on the Algarve and is very close to Potimao should you want some night life or variety I assume..

One mark off for service because of the lack of a barman at night. One mark off the restaurant because of the lack of variety at the evening meal however snacks during the day were availabe. They don't seem to push the evening meals and I assume this is because of its lack of presence on the main road as they would get very little passing trade.

We booked with Easyjet Holidays and it came to just over £700 add insurance, car hire and fuel, car parking at the airport and you are looking at about £1000 for 5 days plus spending so it's not cheap but you get what you pay for. I saw some rough looking apartments and hotels nearby which made us like this hotel even more.

Hope this is informative enough to make your own mind up about the place.

Happy holidays

Room Tip: Ask for a poolside room the outlook is far better
4  Thank HughMungus
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My boyfriend (27) and I (25) found this the perfect place to stay as the hotel was quiet. We were hoping to get a holiday in which we could relax. It is not the place to go If you are wanting a club 18-30s type holiday as there were mainly other couples our age or older. We liked the fact that we were never fighting for sun loungers by the pool. The location was great for us there is a 10-15 downhill walk in to the town or beach, which we did twice a day we are quite active but if you are not the hill back may be a bit of as climb. I am sure however a taxi would be cheap enough, there is also a shuttle bus to the beach form the hotel. The bar in the hotel was not open during the day when we went but as the rooms are self catering we did not find this a problem as we had a fridge and ample food making facilities in the room. The room its self was lovely and modern with a jacuzzi bath and flat screen TV with an BBC world as a channel (we used only occasionally). The room was cleaned daily. I would definitely go back next time I am in need of relaxation.

7  Thank RosieTee
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I went with my partner and it was my first time abroad. I found the hotel to be clean and relaxed, staff were really friendly and always helpful. Room was spacious, with nice views of the pool and gardens, from the balcony. Breakfast was always good lots of choice.

We found the walk into the village was about 10 minutes so really close, beach about 20 minutes walk, there's lots of little shops to explore, and get some really nice gifts. A really nice atmosphere was never worried walking about. There is lots of restaurants to choose from with excellent prices. There's plenty of bars for quiet drinks, and there's a lovely cafe along the harbour where you cant get cocktails for around 6 euro, good price. Beach is beautiful and great for a well earned rest.

I would defiantly travel back to this hotel for another relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Annika302
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Luna Alvor Village and was very impressed with the hotel in every respect. The rooms are very large and well equiped. We had a huge balcony overlooking a garden area ajacent to the pool and found it to be peaceful and quiet as well as being a great sun-trap in the morning! The rooms were serviced every day to a high standard which surprised me as we were staying over the Easter holidays.

I think as it was slightly out of season the hotel seemed fairly quiet. We were often the first down to breakfast and might only see a handful of other guests. Breakfast was excellent with a choice of fruit juices, champagne, cereals , yoghurt, fruits, bread and the usual cooked fare. Never ran out of hot water or coffee but it was quiet. The pool area was also very quiet, so no problems getting a sunbed.

We had no trouble walking to the village. The resort itself is beautiful, with a nice harbour area and a massive sandy beach. There are lots of restaurants to try and plenty of fresh fish. We found the prices to be very good value, but slightly more expensive down by the harbour which is expected. There is a nice restaurant/grill attached to the nearby campsite before you take the main road into Alvor. It doesn't look too special from the outside, but we had some of the nicest fish and chicken cooked on their outdoor grill for an unbelievable price. It was a friendly family run place and I would definitely recommend it if you don't fancy walking back into the village for evening meal.

We bought this holiday cheaply through Jet2.holidays and were very impressed by their service. Flights and transfers were all very efficient. We would definitely return to this hotel for a similar break. This is a nice time of year to visit as the hotel, beach and resort are all quiet and the weather was not too fierce but still nice and hot.

Room Tip: Room 227 overlooks garden, quiet
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TriciaBishop
Reviewed 20 November 2010

We'd stressed to the travel agent that we wanted a one bedroom apartment where the bedroom was self-contained. When we got there, we were shown to our room which turned out to be not what we asked for - the bedroom opened onto the living area and so was not self contained / private. However the staff came up trumps and gave us a two bedroomed upgrade at no extra charge without a murmur - we were very impressed. The apartment was absolutely gorgeous with a huge balcony (though very small table and chairs), amazing bathrooms and a well equipped kitchen, lacking a washing machine.

The layout of the breakfast buffet was a sight to be seen; beautiful colours and very well presented food. We tried the dinner buffet one night and were blown away by the food - such a selection and very reasonably priced. What the hotel lacked was a sense of atmosphere. There was very little going ion in the hotel even though it appeared to be fairly full. There was never anybody around in the bar area to create an atmosphere which was a pity.

It was a good 15 minute walk into the village, downhill on the way in and of course uphill coming back. We felt very safe walking back in the evening though we were back at the hotel before midnight.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank ClaireK007
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We have just returned from a short 4 day break at the Luna Alvor Village and we really enjoyed it there. As always, I did my research before travelling and we weren't disappointed with what we found. The room we had, 121 is more like a studio apartment. It really is a good size with the sleeping area kind of separated from the living area by a wooden unit with a rotating LCD TV that you can watch from either the (huge) bed or the sofa in the living area. The bed is actually two singles but they are together and create a huge sleeping space which we liked. The living area itself consists of a sofa (sofabed?), four place dining table and the kitchenette which has sink, fridge, microwave dishwasher and a coffee maker! :-) In addition to this is the good size bathroom complete with bidet (does anyone know how to use one of these??), jacuzzi bath and shower over the bath. Water pressure was always excellent. Moving outside, the balcony is huge, has a decent view over the pool and surrounding area and has a four place table also.

We opted for bed and breakfast which was good, plenty of selection of the usual buffet items, juices, tea and coffee. Food wise both continental cold meats and cheeses plus more British style bacon and eggs, bread, cakes etc, usual fare and as you'd expect, more than adequate.

On to the experience, we really enjoyed the fact that effectively we had a nice apartment but with hotel facilities on hand as and when you required. The reception staff were very helpful and the staff in general all seemed cheerful and polite. As other reviewers have said, it is a bit of a walk from the town centre and harbour but it's mostly downhill on the way in and you can get a cab back! Contrary to what some others have said about it being a little expensive I can only say that yes, things aren't as cheap as they once were but even with the poor current exchange rate most things are cheaper than where I live in Buckinghamshire. Large beer (pint?) 3 euros, coffee about 1.50 euro in the hotel and 4 euros for a cab back from town. Good two course meal with wine in town about 35-45 euros, 3 course 50-ish. If you think this is dear you should try Cyprus! And, of course, you have a fridge so you can buy your beer/wine elsewhere and keep it in your room.

This was my 5th visit to the Algarve and I would definitely stay at Alvor Village again. If I had to pick fault with anything it would be with the general upkeep and cleanliness in some areas. The whirlpool bath being the main annoyance. These things obviously recirculate your bath water and after using it we found that the bath was quite dirty in the bottom after emptying the water out. This tells me that the pipes or filters or whatever were not clean and so we didn't use this particular feature again. Outside, the ashtrays didn't seem to be emptied particularly often and the sun loungers had a bit of a mouldy appearance suggesting that they too were not cleaned very often. It didn't particularly bother us as we were concentrating on having a well earned break but for the sake of a bit of effort on the part of the hotel it was surprising considering the place is only a couple of years old and 4 Star.

Overall very good, restaurants to try in town include Bouganvilia (Potuguese), Paesano (Italian) and Vagabondo (Portuguese) were all excellent.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hughieboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alvor
Pestana Alvor Praia
Pestana Alvor South Beach
Alvor Baia Resort Hotel
Pestana Dom Joao II
Pestana Alvor Park Hotel
Tivoli Marina Portimao
Tivoli Marina Portimao
#7 of 75 in Portimao

Been to Luna Alvor Village? Share your experiences!