“A Short review of Alvor Baia”

Alvor Baia Hotel Apartamento
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Alvor
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“A Short review of Alvor Baia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

We had a great time at Alvor Baia.

Firstly, a Short flight from the UK. A short transfer from Faro and short check in at the hotel.

The hotel was very clean, the staff very efficient and polite.

The pool, yes you did have to get up early to get the sun loungers and umbrellas, but this is no different to any other hotel or resort anywhere in Europe in peak season. So people don't complain just get up early! The pool is very clean and well maintained, the pool area will be better once the grounds of the hotel have matured.
The restaurants both Blue & Green were very clean and the food very good. Okay, some of the dishes were repeated but be creative there was no shortage of choice. The restaurants could be a little noisy at times, but this was only a small fault. I would suggest some curtains or drapes to soften the noise. We were seated in the restaurants after only a short time, very efficient, unlike previous all inclusive hotels

The drinks were very good, especially the shorts, we had to ask for shorter measures most times. The Bar staff were very good even at peak times we only had to wait a short time.

The entertainment, can't really comment on Daniel Morgan and his organ, so many sad people on TA who stayed in the hotel every night and complain. It's just a short walk into Alvor town a lovely town with many bars and restaurants. No shortage of entertainment in town if you want it. we made the short walk into Alvor every night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Every evening we made the short taxi ride back to the hotel at cost between 5 and 7 euros. ( The entertainment was included)

I have to finish this short review by saying we had a great time in Alvor and will be returning in a very short time.

Finally, I know I keep using the word short ( Private Joke) but we were driven back to the hotel one evening by the shortest taxi driver in Portugal so keep a look out for him, a great guy!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
15 Thank Staffwolf
Gonçalo S, General Manager at Alvor Baia Hotel Apartamento, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Guest,

How wonderful it is to read that you enjoyed staying with us and that our team was excellent and exceeded all your expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Alvor Baia.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Polish first
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and daughter (5Yr old) travelled to this complex for 1 week at back end of August. 1st impressions were a stunning looking hotel easily the best looking in the whole village. Fresh, modern, contemporary feel with minimalistic feel to it. Rooms were fantastic, clean, large and a pleasure to be in. Pool is massive and yes its cold when you first get in for 30secs but what out door pool abroad isn't? The village itself is small and quaint but very quiet with only a few shops and restaurants, too quiet for myself by far, but that's just my opinion and taste. Staff were mostly friendly, bar service was good and so was restaurant service. What I found strange was with such a big hotel with lots of people in peak season, no matter what time we went into the restaurant it was really quiet, which was good but strange. This is an international hotel and the Brits were the minority. The reason I have only scored an average rating is because of the next 2 points which made our holiday less enjoyable. The food - I am not and have never been a picky eater, however the choice of food was poor - it's either fish, fish or fish or beef and turkey. I like my meat but it was the same night after night. They had a salad bar which was ok but a lot of mixed salad stuff which I didn't know what it actually had in it. The food was sometimes almost cold and some of my pork once had blood on the edge where it wasn't cooked properly. They had a kids section which to be honest was embarrassing. It consisted of no more than 3-4 main dishes, a little plate with carrots, lettuce and tomato on then 1 pudding. The deserts section had a reasonable selection however they were all tasteless. Little to no taste on anything, it was putting calories into your mouth for the sake of it so I didn't bother. Ice cream was in the form of little Nestle pots which were the only desert which did have any flavour however these were only available at Tea time so nothing available for the kids unless you paid for ice cream lollies. They did have a snack bar towards the back end of the afternoon where you could get ice cream but again this was the only time and the queues were constant as you could imagine. The morning snack bar was basically left over breakfast which isn't what we wanted as a snack when we had had this food for our breakfast so we went back no more then after the 1st time. Drinks in the restaurant were self service which was good. breakfast was by far the best meal of the day and the only meal I actually looked forward too. Entertainment - or lack of it. What can I say, there is a hotel ran entertainment team which by day they gather in a hut around the pool, playing music and that seems to be about it, I did see on 2 occasions they played 1 game each day with adults and didn't see anything else other than volleyball on the grass where there is a net. I didn't see any list of daytime activities. The night time entertainment - I had seen reviews on here saying it was terrible but thought, sometimes its not as bad a as people make out - however, this time it was. It's either an organ player every night singing songs in reception area or downstairs they have a kids disco from 8.30pm (if they start on time) for about 30mins, then it's bingo or something else but to be honest it's a tiny little stage with a makeshift curtain with a DJ stuck to the side who loves to scratch over the music. Chairs are then lined up like you'd find in a school assembly with a couple of tables at the back if you want some room and somewhere to put your drinks, you need plenty to try and keep you awake. However if you sit at the tables you then get all the ignorant people standing in front of you without a care in the world or any consideration for anyone and you cant see a thing anyway. So plenty of early nights for us it was. All in all a lovely hotel with great rooms, sadly let down by the dining and entertainment experience.

1 Thank silvershark04
Dear Guest,

Your compliments and comments about our accommodations and resort are extremely appreciated.
We are sorry that you have had those two negative points that were the food and the entertainment.

Food wise, we respect your opinion as our client, and will use your comments in order to try to change / improve some of the features in our food and Beverage department, although it seems a common point to almost all clients that visit us and that write in Trip Advisor that the food quality is up to very good standards. We are sorry if we have let you down with it.

With the animation department i did not understood what was your main problem, but again we apologize with any inconvenience created.

We will be making the best use out of your review, in order to try to improve our services standards for our clients.

We hope to see you back with us again here at Hotel Alvor Baia in the very near future,

Best regards,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We had a big family holiday in this very modern and impressive hotel recently; we (my wife and I) were there with our daughter, son-in-law and our 3 grandsons...

First of all, this completely all-inclusive hotel is very new; I think it is only in its 2nd season in 2013, so everything is bright, fresh and airy. Certainly the Main Entrance goes about 4 storeys, and apart that it doesn't have a rooflight, is a large and bright atrium. The glass sided elevators take you to your floor, and the hotel is expansive, you may have quite a walk to your room !!! The rooms are all double-size, with a 'normal' room, a almost full height partition to your living area which has a table, sofa and kitchen area. The bathroom is very modern, befitting a hotel of this age and style. A double-width balcony sets off the view over the pool and extensive gardens. With such a new hotel, the trees are all still fairly small, there is not much shade from the sun, and there is the usual holiday clamour to get seats and loungers near to the large and safe swimming pool.

The dining rooms were large and busy, and possibly due to hard hygienic surfaces everywhere and lots of kids on family holidays meant that dining was a noisy rather than relaxing experience.
I believe the other Dining Room was 'kid-free' which would probably reduce the noise levels by a few decibels... the food was wholesome and varied, and the fresh salad and fish dishes were beyond your expectations for a good family holiday hotel. As everyone is all-inclusive, there is no need to be branded with certain colours of wristband depicting your guest status...

The location of the hotel was adequate; it is about a 1 km walk into Alvor which has lively restaurants and relaxing bars and is nice for a pleasant walk into the town at night to browse in the shops and partake of a bit of people-watching... it is a bit of a slog back up the gradual hill to the hotel, but 10-15 minutes sees you back safely.

The beach is a 10 minute journey in the Hotel Mini-Train, and has lovely sand; the rocks and cliffs are a complete fossil-hunting heaven with literally thousands of fossilised clams, urchins and coral.

The Portugese Hotel staff were all very friendly and welcoming, and were willing and able to help on every occasion. There is a free and mostly reliable wi-fi in the main entrance atrium, and it gets busy in the evenings as lots of people seem to congregate with iPhone or iPad in hand and catch up on their own little piece of internet heaven.

We were on a package from Thomson Holidays, so the efficient transfers took about 1 hour each way from Faro airport.

Would I recommend the Alvor Baia Hotel and Apartmentos... Yes, I would without any hesitation

Room Tip: Pool view looks over the pool, but not much else, a room at the rear looks inland towards the hills
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CaptCamshaft
Dear Guest,

How wonderful it is to read that you enjoyed staying with us and that our team was excellent and exceeded all your expectations on your so deserved family holidays.

Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Ok so a lot of people moaned about this Hotel in previous reviews !
Here's what I found in my recent stay.

THE GOOD: excellent clean rooms, wonderful food with great service from all the staff, and a good quick bar service with most of the bar staff having a good laugh.
Plenty of room around the pool to chill out and sunbath, with a lifeguard on duty!... I'll get on to the sun beds in a mo.

THE NOT SO GOOD!
Yes it's true there's not enough sun beds for all guests, so you do have to be up before 08:30 to get where you want around the pool , after 09:00 and forget it!
Yes , the pool is not heated, not a problem in July, aug , but it may be a bit cold in other months!
Yes: the evening entertainment is pretty poor compared to other holidays I've been on, in fact it was almost non existent , but we decided to go out to the near by marina for a few nights!

ALL IN ALL:
Would I go back?
Yes if I'm looking for a low key family holiday!

Am I going back next year?
I hope this review was helpful
Enjoy yourselves wherever you go.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank tottenhamtony
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your valuable feedback about your recent stay at the Alvor Baia.

We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us, as well as our hospitality and services.

We are sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your experience mainly because of the sun loungers and also because of the exterior non heated pool. Please accept our apologies for this.

Rochdale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Just got back from a week here, staying with my husband and children aged 15 and 17. The hotel is very modern and clean. The staff are lovely and always polite The rooms are very clean and big. However the restaurants are so noisy and crowded and do not visit the green one unless you have children under 6 it was like Mcdonalds on a busy Saturday with more buggies in the entrance than cars in the car park! The food was fine but its so noisy in there and compared to other places we have been to this let it down for us as its like a canteen..
There are not enough sunbeds for all the guests and by 8am there were towels on most of them, You do need to stay with them or somebody in your group does as the lifeguard comes and takes the towels off. This is very annoying when you come away on a family holiday and have to take breakfasts in shifts (which most people did) to keep your beds.
Do venture into Alvor which is a 10 minute walk or 5 euros in a taxi. There are lots of lovely bars and shops there.

1 Thank Katherine B
Dear Guest,

Indeed we are a very busy hotel, although we believe it does not show really how busy we really are. The hotel is really big and its only in the pool and the restaurants in the peak period that you have that feeling.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was our second time at Alvor but the first time at the Alvor Baia Hotel. The rooms were lovely and just as they look in the photos. There is not much storage space for clothes. 4 slim drawers and one wardrobe is not enough for a family. We managed but a few more drawers would have been useful. The staff were generally friendly, helpful and I have to say very hardworking. The hotel is very clean and the food of a good standard for all inclusive. You were always seen to your table, which was nice and not always the case with All Inc. The main sticking point with the hotel is the sunbeds. It is a problem wherever we seem to go in August, but there really is no need for it here. The pool is huge and there is a lovely green around the pool and with a few extra sunbeds people would be happy on the grassed area. I know we would! Our son is 6 years and there wasn't much for him to do in the way of entertainment although he was happy with our company! Free wifi in the hotel bar was helpful too. The chemical cleaner in the pool seemed a little harsh as my husband's eyes were stinging, which has never happened before and my son's eczema came out on his legs. A few days at the lovely beach sorted this out. The hotel lay on a bus to the beach which is very regular. Plenty of lovely restaurants nearby and we spent a few late afternoons in the harbour. Would recommend a day at the water park "Slide and Splash" my son loved it. Also Zoomarine to see the dolphins was worth it too.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Hotel Alvor Baia. We value each and every Guests review and appreciate the time you take out to write them. We here Alvor Baia aim to please and satisfy our guests and truly excel to provide an unforgettable and memorable Holiday Experience.

That´s great to hear how lovely your family holiday was among st us.

Many thanks for all the positive comments and excellent feedback you have gave us - credits to the very hard working teams in Alvor Baia.

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Spent a week here in August.Booked all inclusive with First Choice.

Spent an hour and ten minutes on arrival on the coach at airport "waiting for other guests".No explanation given for this-presumably they had been flying in from other airports.50 minute journey to hotel.A special desk had been set up to check guests in.This took 30 minutes.I noticed that while this was going on there were 3 people behind the official check-in desks chatting to each other.

Room was ready.Excellent room-I think all of them consist of a bedroom,sitting room,bathroom and kitchenette.The only things in the kitchen were cups and saucers and a microwave.There
are no teamaking facilities-ie kettle,teabags etc.There's a dining room table and chairs.

2 restaurants-green- open at 7am for breakfast and 6.30pm for dinner and blue-open at 8.30am and 7.30pm.They are also open for lunch-1.15pm for the blue and earlier for green.I thought on the whole the food catered for all tastes and overall was very good.(Funny though that buffet desserts always look a lot better than they taste!).

Didn't go on any excursions so can't comment.A 4 euro taxi ride into town is well worthwhile-interesting shops,quaint town and teeming with seafood restaurants.The hotel run a coach to the beach every 30 minutes-well worth a change of scenery to the pool.

Ah the pool!Because the evening entertainment is so dire this for me provided the best entertainment of the holiday.It begins about 6.40am when shadowy figures appear clutching towels and avoiding the eyes of other shadowy shapes as they try and lift cement based parasols into place and delicately unfurl towels onto the sunbeds.They then presumably go back to bed,have breakfast,go on an excursion and appear ready for a nap sometime after lunch.The second part of the show begins about 9.15am when the "innocents abroad"appear with their towels and copies of the Times and march the length and breadth of the pool searching for the elusive sunbed.Fat chance.I have done a detailed time and motion study on this and unless you have staked your claim by 8.30am you will be destined for a towel on the grassy area.After this holiday-and despite the tripadvisor contributors warnings -I was caught out on the first day-I know exactly how Captain Scott must have felt when he discovered that Amundsen had got to the Pole before him!

Which leads me to my heading.Both First Choice and the hotel itself ask for feedback on the holiday.How many thousands more people need to tell them that they need to seriously address the sunbed and the entertainment situation.Until they do they risk losing guests that have stayed before and also the many people that read tripadvisor and are unhappy that they will have to pay thousands of pounds and still might not be able to sit by the pool-which lets face it is what most guests do most of the time.

1 Thank MICKMAT22
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review with all the compliments you have done to our services and structure. On the same line, We regret that the animation and the sun loungers situation was not up to your expectations.

The sun loungers is a worldwide hotel Industry problem. There are not hotels that have as many sun loungers as the total installation capacity.

Because it is a ongoing issue and with the non reservation policy, we have created a method in which towels cannot be without their occupants for more than one hour. After this period the towels will be removed if necessary.

I assure you that all your observations have been taken in consideration and for sure that we will improve on all of them.

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alvor
Pestana Alvor Praia
Pestana Alvor Park Hotel
Pestana Delfim Hotel
Pestana Delfim Hotel
#8 of 26 in Alvor

Been to Alvor Baia Hotel Apartamento? Share your experiences!