“Could not do enough !!!!”

Alvor Baia Resort Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

My son was taken ill while in Alvor and this hotel could not do enough for me during my stay. They sorted out a special rate for me.The staff and managers were all pleasant and helpful. The room was very well appointed and very clean and the breakfast was great. They even upgraded me when my partner joined me for a few days. Would recommend this hotel every time. 5 stars *****

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Kfoxcroft270169

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We visited this hotel over Easter 19/04 to the 23/04/14, the hotel is relatively new and is clean and modern. The rooms were modern clean, spacious, with a comfortable double, bathroom, lounge and small kitchen area. The Hotels staff were pleasant and helpful. There were lots of activities and the staff encourage all ages to become involved. The food was really nice, lots of variety, freshly cooked. There was a broad variety of drinks and snacks too! The only downside was that you had a to pay to use the indoor pool. I would stay here again in the future! Lovely hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Booeycheeb
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Hotel looks great from the outside, sadly hasn't had much thought go into what makes it actually great on the inside.

Pool area looks awesome but there is a constant gale blowing through as the hotel is located high up on a hill, so renders the whole area useless. We spent all of our days on prainha beach which is absolutely superb - about 30 mins walk from the hotel - or 4 euro cab journey,

Inside the all inclusive food was OK, but not much choice for evening - we only at there twice for a long weekend, likewise for entertainment - not much going on.

Alvor town is definitely the place to go for dining out - brilliant choice and great setting heading towards the harbour.

Its about 15 minute walk down the hill from the hotel - we walked down every night and got a cab back up the hill.

Rooms are OK - but the beds are like slates of concrete, and there isn't a full divide between the bedroom and the TV room with sofa bed, it stops near the ceiling - so you can hear all the snoring (or anything else!) going on in the other section of the room if you have other people or children sleeping on the sofa bed.

Internet didn't work in the room and reception not really wanting to help.There was also an awful smell coming from our sink as well, not really sure what it was, kept blaming our teenage boy for farting but found out it was the sink.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank fathead99
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have already written a review for this hotel as we stayed last May for two weeks with our two children (11 months and 3) we were so happy with our stay that the week we returned w booked another holiday for this May. Needless to say the past year has been a tough wait but in only two weeks we will be staying here once again.... We cannot wait!!

This is THE ideal stay for young families and Alvor is beautiful (as are the people) we look forward to making more memories there in a couple of weeks, such a great way for my husband and I to spend our wedding anniversary too :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Wunderluste
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed at the Alvor Baia last May. The Hotel had been only opened the previous season and we found it to be contemporary and pristine. Positives; the friendliness of the staff, the ultra modern amenities including a great pool, reasonable food (for an 'all inclusive' resort) and general cleanliness. Negatives; The somewhat limited evening entertainment and the location of the hotel, being some distance from the town centre in an elevated and exposed position; the resulting gales that often blew through the complex rendered lounging around 'pool side' almost impossible. On occasions we resorted to creating wind breaks using sun loungers to avoid windburn! In conclusion, we'd certainly recommend the Alvor Baia to tourists seeking a functional modern accommodation but not necessarily easy access to interesting Alvor and its wonderful beaches.

Room Tip: Seek those facing the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve J
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here last year in July, and quite frankly it was not an enjoyable experience for myself and my partner.

During the day, it was just too busy, could never get a sun bed and resorted to lying on the grass for a sun bathe. However you do expect that at peak season.

The food was mediocre. A lot of choice, but if staying for 2 weeks it can be repetitive and a bit boring.

The entertain was virtually nill. A few holiday reps, but not much going on. All inclusive stopped at 11pm, and the staff looked like they just want you to leave once that time hit, making you not want to buy any drinks. So each night we hit the local town for drinks.

I do like the free shuttle service to and from the beach, which is good. So we went a few times.

I wouldn't visit again to this hotel, but I would visit the area again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tom Y
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My family stayed at the Baia for 10 nights in September 2013. We had the most wonderful time, although everyone thought we would come home divorced, due to travelling with our daughters (4), (2) & 6 months! The room worked out brilliantly. We could put the kids to bed after the kiddies entertainment at 9ish, and we could slip out to the balcony and into bed without disturbing their sleep. We had a pool view room, so during the day, when our two smallest had to nap, we took turns staying in the apartment - I took great joy in sunbathing on the balcony, so it wasn't "wasted" time for a sun-worshiper.

The dining was a little stressful - both restaurants were very noisy, with partial glass roofs, so any cutlery dropping, or child yowling was amplified. Our kids didn't tend to cry, but spent a lot of time staring around the large restaurants, in shock/awe of all the activity in a condensed area. Over the holiday, we figured out the best table, and times to dine, to cut down on noise. The food itself was lovely. We dined out in Alvor twice, mostly just for the change of scenary. The village is very nice.

Our eldest daughter, (then 4) spent some time in the kids club, but had to be heavily persuaded to attend after the first day. It seemed to be geared at 7 - 9 year olds, and most kids went with another they already knew. Also, the kids club staff had broken English, some of them quite poor English, so my daughter didn't really understand them. We found the evening entertainment very good, but NOTE, our kids are tiny. I think its aimed at age 9 downwards, and there's not much happening for adults, or teens. The time of the kiddies disco etc was ideal, because we'd be first down for dinner, and then go straight to the disco. Everyone's kids played in the evening also at the playground, which was ideal for parents to bring up a glass of wine and relax! Families who had young children were loving their holiday. Couples & families with older kids looked a bit disgruntled. The entertainment staff seemed to be people in their early 20s, just enjoying their summer, and didn't seem to have much guidance/supervision on what itinerary to put on, or how to entertain kids of different ages.

I went to the Spa for one whole day, and had a teeny tiny masseuse, but the massages I got were amazing - it was really well worth the cost. My daughter (4) came in for a swim at the end of my day there, and she loved the change of scenery.

We went to the beach one day, and although we got the bus, in the extreme heat, we found the trek too much. We didn't have all the beach equipment we needed, and didn't want to hire a bed as we were only going to be there of an hour or so. We just felt, although its only a quick bus ride away, it wasn't worth the hassle.

The pool was freezing cold. However, the weather was hot all during our holiday, so the kids didn't mind. I found I would have to swim or keep active in the water, or else I'd get cold.

We spent a long time trying to decide where to go this year, and due to the following, we have decided to return to Baia again this year:
1. Playground beside pool, so parents can sun-bathe and supervise kids at same time; The kids club is near the pool too, so you can collect in your togs!
2. There are scheduled eating times, so if the kids don't eat well at breakfast, they can have the snack at 11 instead & the same throughout the day;
3. The entertainment will be ideal for our kids this year - all three of them will be able to partake this year;
4. The all inclusive bar was great, and I only really figured out what to order towards the end of our holiday last year!
5. Alvor is a lovely village, that is maybe 15 minutes away, and is ideal for having an ice-cream after dinner, or sauntering around the shops.
6. We'll probably do the day trips to the waterpark and aquatic park this year - we heard from other guests that they were great, despite a very early start.

I read the reviews before our trip last year, and someone had suggested bringing your own hangers. We did this, and it was well worth it, so bring some! We almost left our clothes to be laundered, and at the last minute I checked the prices, and they were outlandish, so be warned!

Room Tip: Pool side is a must
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family