“big hotel”

Alvor Baia Resort Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Reviewed 3 June 2014

stayed here for two weeks and while the hotel is lovely it just wasn't for me too many children and buggies I prefer my hotel a little quieter great for families with young children and plenty to entertain

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
Write a ReviewReviews (1,995)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My Wife and I have just returned from 2 weeks at the Alvor Baia. 1st impressions as you arrive for check-in lead you to believe you're in for a fantastic holiday at 1 of Thomson/First Choices Platinum Hotels. The Lobby is enormous, check-in was swift and efficient. No All Inclusive wristbands which makes a change, you use your door keys for meals&drinks. The Hotel has 7 floors with 4 lifts. On floor 0 is Reception,The Grand Cafe that has a bar that is not for All Inclusive and a small shop.Rooms are on floors 0-4, Theirs 2 restaurants on floor -1 along with the Grand Bar 'entertainment' room(I use that word loosely) which has an All Inclusive bar and is where the late breakfast and afternoon snacks are served theirs a games room and Spa on floor -2.
We took our suitcases up to our room.They have a bell boy service who will bring your luggage up for you if you want it. We were in room 345 which is a pool view upgrade, worth the extra £2 per night.Rooms are exactly as shown in the brochure with living area, kitchenette and separate bedroom. Their are 2 flat screen TVs,1 in each room but only 1 remote. Balcony is very big and pool side are great for morning/afternoon sun depending which part of the hotel you're in.
Once settled we took a stroll around the hotel & grounds to get acclimatized, On floor 0 theirs plenty of seating and free WiFi which is available in the lobby, the outside bar/terrace and in the Grand Bar on floor -1. Ideally as a Platinum Hotel it should be available throughout the whole hotel and rooms.
Theres a large pool side terrace with lots of seating and the Pool Bar for All Inclusive guests. Both All Inclusive bars are open from 10am until 11pm. The pool is enormous, we didn't use it ourselves but i'm lead to believe its very chilly. Its only 1.40 metres at its deepest. The grounds are huge and the garden areas and trees are far from established with the hotel only being 4yrs old. This does mean that you won't see many mosquitoes. We saw 1 in the whole 2 weeks. If you have young children there is a large playground and next to it is a mini club building which is staffed every day.
As it was a Sunday when we arrived there was none of the Animation team working, turns out they may as well not have bothered turning up Monday to Saturday either. So lets get into the 1 subject that was the biggest let down of our holiday.....The Entertainment or lack of it!!
In the Grand Cafe each evening there's a singer, he turns up every night and isn't half bad, unfortunately he only has around 30 songs in his set so you do hear the same songs every night which gets a bit boring after a few days. However this is better than the entertainment laid on downstairs in the Grand Bar, for starters its the same entertainment each week, with 1 show performed by the unanimated animation team, that alternates from Miss Alvor to Perfect Couple to Mr Alvor. This is fronted by 1 of the team. the other 2 just want to press play on a sound deck at night. You have an outside group come into to do a 'Best of Dance' night, but its the same both weeks. The mandatory Parrot Show which is reserved for mini club at most 3* All Inclusives we've been too, this was the main entertainment 1 night per week, other nights it's just random out of date music played too loud on a sound system. The bar is also at an angle so you can't even see the makeshift stage if you're sat at the back of the bar.
This pattern of the lack of entertainment is even more striking during the day. Theres NOTHING in the way of an Animation program for the Adults or Children(Unless the kids are at the mini club). There are 2 main culprits, 1 female, 1 male, you can't miss them, hair in a bun/bunch walking around doing nothing all day. This did change slightly in the last 2 days of our holiday, where we saw 1 aerobics session on the grass, a game of darts for kids but the board was too high so they had to stand on a chair, not safe at all. And get this a game of musical chairs!! They need sacking and a real animation team brought in with Archery,Rifle Shooting, Pool etc, its not like their isn't the space, the grounds are vast. And a kids mini disco prior to some real entertainment at night. This is a 'Platinum' Hotel after all! OK thats me off my soap box about the entertainment i'm sure you have the picture by now?
Meal times come with the choice of 2 restaurants. Green and Blue. If you have young children that require a high chair, or require a kids food section then you need the Green restaurant, we ate most of the time in the Blue restaurant. There is a huge selection for breakfast from fruit and yogurts, cereals, croissants to a full English fry up including black pudding and hash browns on some days. Lunch and Evening meals come with soup, a wide selection of salads and dressings, a vegetarian option, several meat options and fish options each meal with spaghetti bolognese if you really can't find anything to eat. The food Isn't at its hottest but its not cold either. Theirs fresh meat/fish fried while you wait each meal but if you want it well done then ask otherwise it comes medium rare! For dessert you always have plenty of options from fruit, pots of ice cream to several types of cakes/gateaux etc.
The hotel is spotless, maids on the go all day in every area of the hotel. Rooms are cleaned daily, towels changed daily and bedding at least 5 times during our 2 week stay, Rooms come with a safety deposit box which comes has a €1.50 charge per day. The bathroom is a fair size with a bath or power shower. Tip for you, even if your eating late have a shower before 8pm or you will find the water goes lukewarm for a couple of hours.
This year is the first time I've taken my mobile on holiday with me, specifically because of the free WiFi, thank goodness I did otherwise with the lack of things to do during the day or to entertain us at night we would have been bored senseless some days.
Please be patient when waiting for a drink, the queues can build up and the bar staff do go as quickly as possible, and watch out for some of the French(not all of them) I don't think the words 'queue' or 'patience' have a French translation and they will try to push in.
If you don't want to sit around the pool all day the town of Alvor is a 10-15min stroll away and the hotel runs a complimentary bus to and from the beach every day up to 6pm.
Nikki&Katie are the Hotels Thomson/First Choice holiday advisers, they spend several hours every day at the hotel, always have a smile and are extremely helpful.

In summary the Hotel is fantastic, the food is good and the rooms are great, but until the entertainment issue is resolved this is a 4* Hotel with 2* Entertainment and shouldn't be a Platinum range holiday. If they do alter the entertainment it has the potential to be a fantastic 4* Holiday for Couples and Families.

As I say in all my reviews this is just my opinion, I understand that everyone has their own requirements, needs and expectations from their holiday. If you have any questions whatsoever please send me a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Room Tip: The Pool View upgrade is well worth it, we had Room 345 which has a huge balcony with a view of half...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
22  Thank Big_ChrisB
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel looks amazing, love the design of the building and the interior decoration BUT that's about it!!
On arrival we found our room dirty!! The floor wasn't hoovered, beds were a mess, towels were dirty and more impotently the was a pee mark on the toilet seat !!!
Have ask for my room to be clean up came back after 4 hours and the room was still dirty !! We have traveled 2 days to get to Portugal as we live in Highlands and traveling with a 3 year old had to leave a day before to get to Glasgow and stay over night to catch plane early at the morning AT THAT POINT WE WERE VERY VERY TIRED AND HUNGRY!! I complaint at the reception (again) and been forced to change my room - nobody apologise, nobody helped us move our bags instead I received poor service and felt like I'm bordering them.
We felt very unwelcome plus we soon found out that most of the staff are rude and arrogant, honestly there is only 2 or 3 people we found nice and helpful.
We found our self spending most of the time out of the hotel...
There is not many drink options in the all inclusive bars, there were always queue and the bar staff were very slow or chatting with other member. When booking holiday with Thomson I have been told that they have daily cocktail ,soon found out that it's just vodka with fruit jus!! There is a bar available on the ground floor which was serving real cocktails but there prices were absolutely ridicules.
The entertainment was shocking !!! We were there for 14 night and were tired of it after couple of days. The kids disco started very late and every day was exactly THE SAME same song same dance move same people bla bla bla... There was normally other show starting after the disco which was going for ever!! Once we wanted to see the Parrot Show so had to keep my son awake till 11 pm!! I'm not gonna mention the entertainment on the ground floor... All I can say is that there was the same guy singing the same some every night !!
Food was very average and most of the time cold! I felt eating the same thing over and over again and for some point had to got to town to get MacDonald!! Once while having our breakfast the fire alarm went on and lots of smoke started to coming out of the kitchen. We have been told nothing and had to leave the room as couldn't breath in the smoke. We found that all fire alarms were on ,the lifts stopped and you could smell the burn even on the 3rd floor - felt very unsecured... Again we have left the hotel for a day.
The Thomson's rep were absolutely useless, untrained and unprofessional. After complaining about the dirty room we have been totally ignored for the rest of the time and even when passing by she just tired her head in a different direction and didn't say hi.
A could go on and on about what was wrong with this hotel... All I can say now it that I am very disappointed and feel that I have been ripped off by Thomson Holiday!!

TOTAL RIP OFF

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank iMA8
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are of a very high standard, comfy beds and very clean. The hotels grounds and staff are beautiful and attentive. Major issue is the pool it's freezing - why have such an amazing pool that hardly anyone goes in get this heated it will transform the hotel! Also to have to pay for use of the indoor pool seems a real rip off , although because we had no option for our little boy we had to. The food halls are very clinical looking but they match the ultra modern hotel and didn't really bother us. The food is lovely something for everyone, yes it can get repetitive but there was something for everyone. Drinks offered were of a good standard although finish at 11pm. The main issue was the entertainment the kids entertainment was so loud our little boy didn't want to stay in there. Upstairs is the same singer every night although he is very good. Would we return? The answer is probably yes if we got a good deal, a few changes can make this hotel great! The staff try so hard and couldn't do enough for you. Definatley worth a visit and some of the reviews are harsh we came back refreshed and relaxed. Short taxi ride to Praia de rocha €8 lovely marina and alvor beach itself is 10 mins walk and just stunning.

Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Floridabride2015
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and i had a weeks holiday here last year.on the basis of that,We booked for two weeks this year.The hotel ,staff ,food ,were excellent.The only downside was only one restuarant open .and kids were allowed to run around where hot food was being carried by adults.Not the hotels fault!!!! . Arrived this year for two weeks,What a difference.Had to carry our own suitcases into reception,could not believe how many pushchairs and young children were in reception,running about.We have three grown up sons with 10 grandchildren between them.So we are not against children.The rooms fantastic, cleanliness great.thought we had come back to the same Hotel.How wrong we were!!! Went down to the resturant for lunch.Kids all over even this year two resturants were open the noise was terrible.I Have been in better transport cafes.Went to the bar upstairs refused drinks on all inclusive basis ,as the bar had changed to a pay bar.Drinks were being served at a portable kiosk in thin plastic cups, Coffee in polystyrene cups.4star premium hotel dont forget.The first Saturday the Hotel decided to have a conference in the hotel grounds,About 300 people took over the grounds around the pool.Along with the seating in the shade used by the guests.Then to top it all, took over one of the dining rooms.Then at dinner used half of the bar downstairs.After which they started with speeches and then loud music.Thomson holidays ,WE WERE ROBBED .YOU SHOULD BE SUED BY US CLIENTS.I Hope this is seen by your top managers.But we are only clients .DISGUSTED .NO MORE OF YOUR 4 STAR PREMIUM HOLIDAYS.

Room Tip: Pool Rooms have great outlooks
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rojilly
Reviewed 2 June 2014

As in other reviews, first impressions on arrival were great - check-in was smooth and bags taken to rooms (although a tip is required) and the rooms were of a great standard - very modern. I also thought the cleanliness of the entire place was pretty good. Pool looks great and has potential to be fantastic to have fun in but as it's located in what would be a wind tunnel it would seem (supposedly it's always windy there), it's just too cold to go in and you have to pay extra to use the indoor pool (which was necessary for the kids to have any chance of swimming at all this holiday). The food was just ok. It was never hot and often needed re-heating in the microwave provided. Spaghetti bolgnaise was on offer EVERY night (dull), meat was often over-cooked so was like eating the sole of a shoe, and fish was unbelievably boney. Variety wasn't particularly wide either (particularly the kids' choices) and after a week of eating in the same restaurant we were glad to get home to decent food. Location wasn't too bad - we were able to walk into Alvor with our 5year old and there was an hourly free bus that you can catch to the local beach (which is absolutely beautiful and seemed less windy and much warmer than by the pool). The venue downstairs for the kids' evening entertainment was soulless and the plastic cups ..... what more can I say? Although the evening's singer was quite entertaining, he did sing the same songs every night and it's a very small area for such a large hotel. We saw absolutely no daytime entertainment (oh, some music being played by the poolside but that's it). And the spa isn't much of a spa really - just doesn't have the relaxing feel about it that you'd expect in my opinion. I definitely won't be returning here - it's just not a 4star rating in my opinion - probably more like 3star at the most which is a shame because it has the potential to be great! I've been to better hotels with a lower rating.

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the lobby and are close to the lifts would be very noisy in the evening I...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Arrived and looked good from outside,better than last years quick deal. Check-in was a bit slow, but lots of people checking in also,3 we're checking people in.Room was on third floor, then quite a walk,however case was taken up by porter which arrived quite quickly.Not for a quiet holiday ,kids disco was very noisy and went on for hours.No where to sit and when the French guests arrived quite obnoxious and ignorant.Staff very helpful,room very good ,plenty of space. Poolside,use the right hand side to sunbath as other side kids were playing football and you were getting hit by the ball.All in all not to be recommended for couples.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple