“Stylish, contemporary hotel with great service”

Alvor Baia Resort Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Rishworth, United Kingdom
“Stylish, contemporary hotel with great service”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a great place to stay, lovely and clean, stylish yet functional rooms. The quality and choice of food and drink is worthy of four stars. Lovely pool, attentive and very visible pool side staff who are always happy to help and keep a sharp eye on the pool.

We have a young daughter so most evenings were spent on the balcony whilst she slept so we didn't see any of the entertainment.

The balconies are a large size and ours had a view of the sea. Great for a chilled evening with a glass of wine

The staff deserve a mention as everyone we encountered offered a smile and we're happy to help at any time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Clarkeylj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I visited the alvor baia for a weeks holiday in May. First impressions was really good. It was modern and very clean. Rooms were equipped with a kitchenette area, 2 flat screens and a spacious balcony. I did however find all the really unfriendly, they just kept themselves and just carried on with their role. I did however found the maids very friendly. They always smiled and said hello. The nightly entertainment was non- existent. A very sad attempt. The restaurant was very very average, it just tasted all the same.day in day out. It was more of a canteen than a restaurant. There deserts was the worst ive tasted. I've got a sweet tooth and I was not impressed by there choices. The only decent option was the ice-cream. I'm very disappointed at Thomsons for rating this hotel so highly

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank kishaunm
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I read the mixed reviews before booking and decided to 'take the risk.' I'm really glad I did and although I agree with some of the negatives I think they are minor flaws to an otherwise great hotel. So no one can deny the first impression is great, the hotel really stands out from every other property in the area. The rooms are spotless and well equipped, though I never used the cooker or microwave, the fridge was handy. I travelled with my two kids, thirteen and nine, the one bed apartment with pull out sofa was plenty big enough. FOOD - we thought this was great. Ok, we aren't the fussiest eaters but there was always plenty of choice at main meal times. I'd expect lots of fish but there were plenty of alternatives and I was always impressed with the quality of the meat dishes. The daytime snacks were simply that - snacks. Morning was cheese and ham plus, leftover breakfast food. Afternoon tended to be burgers and hotdogs.
ENTERTAINMENT
The evening entertainment did seem very poor, the peak while we were there (1st to 8th June) appeared to be a third rate magician performing tricks that would struggle to make it past a talent show first round. From what we saw in the adult bar (where all inclusive didn't apply) the same singer performed every night. We didn't use the kids clubs but I have to agree with the other reviews, when we saw the groups around the hotel there seemed to be little if any interaction with the kids.
SERVICE
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and very helpful. The longest I had to wait for a drink at any of the all inclusive bars was five minutes, which is perfectly reasonable! The lager and sangria were great, but I have to agree the wines were very poor!
POOL
Huge pool, which means it is cold when you first get in. So what, man up and get in!!

Overall, a great hotel and we will definitely be going back.

One tip, pay the extra for a pool view. We did. All the apartments have a great sized balcony but the pool view makes the difference.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a pool view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank PT31
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Got back from our holiday on Sunday and felt i had to write a review to let people know what to expect from Alvor Baia. Lovely looking hotel,very clean. Rooms are of a very good standard and are exactly as they are on the Thomsons website.Here's the but....the food and entertainment are not a 4* platinum standard. We have had better meals at 3*. We are not food snobs, but it's a big part of our holiday when we go all inclusive. The meals were like school dinners!
We did enjoy our holiday,Alvor is about 15 mins walk from hotel and is a nice little village. There is also a free bus that takes you to the beach. Well worth a visit.
You can get a bus to Lagos from Alvor costing 4 euros. Good shops to look around if you want a break from the sun.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M0use67
Reviewed 9 June 2014

my family went to this hotel through first choice holidays. we went between 1/6/14 - 8/6/14 although this is a lovely hotel, the beds are really uncomfortable. the hotel is spotless and the staff are really friendly. the kids club (should you choose to have your children spend sometime there) is not very good, there were two females and one male, and there interaction with the children is not very good I have to say. The evening entertainment was poor also which is a shame. The ice creams/lolly ices are not included in all inclusive so prepare yourself to spend money. there is nothing off the resort apart from a spar (not cheap).
although I seem unhappy (im not) my family had a lovely time. (would I return to this hotel)? unfortunately not.
If you travel here with First Choice/Thompson we highly recommend "super day"!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor, pool side view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark C
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Like many on here, we booked this hotel on it's reputation from 2013. We are still here as a family of 4. 2 adults and two small children. I'll be honest with everything I comment on.

1) Food. Avoid going all inclusive at all costs. There are plenty of excellent restaurants in Alvor centre, Dunas beach restaurant, Praia de Rocha. Don't miss out on the atmosphere even with small kids. Eating in a massive hall where all you do is keep getting up for bland luke warm food is not my idea of fun. There is a strip of 20 Resraurants in Alvor. Do not miss out.

2) Pool. It's absolutely freezing. Honestly. I jumped in one day, my little girl did the same and both got out immediately. She was in tears! She loves swimming but won't go back in.

3) Staff. Superb. Rooms cleaned every day. Reception staff ultra helpful and friendly.

4) Bars. No issue with queues. Always got served quickly. Beer is very good, Super Bock, but the wine was awful. Sangria lovely.

5) Kids. Great play area on site but that's it for the hotel and the local area. Kids club reps are next to useless, they are totally disinterested. They love being on their laptops whilst the adults look after the kids. What a joke. The evening kids entertainment starts far too late.

6) Rooms. We had a 1 double bed apartment. Far too small. Cramped. If you have more than 1 little one then look elsewhere.

7) Location. Too far to walk to the beach with kids but Alvor only 15 mins walking with a push chair. 4 euros one way in a cab. Recommend beach at Praia de Rocha and the dunes at Alvor.

For a Thomson holiday, disappointed. My eldest loves the play area but hates the hotel food like me! Will never do all inc again. First and last. Get out and enjoy the area, the restaurants. Amazing beaches. Don't sit round the hotel drinking the all inc bar!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank rooneyred04
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I really don't understand the negative reviews for this hotel. I have just come home from a great weeks all inclusive holiday. I went with my wife and 2 year old and friends who also have a 2 year old. The hotel itself was clean and modern and the rooms were cleaned daily. I emailed before travelling with a request for us both to have rooms together which I got a response within a few days to say that it would be ok and when I got there it was. The food was good and we felt there was plenty of choice and different options each day. The restaurant was noisy but there were no issues as it's a family hotel and kids do tend to be noisy. We did have to queue for drinks but as I'm not royalty I'm pretty used to that so not sure why it's an issue for some people. We never had any problems getting sun beds together and the pool and park were both excellent for the kids. I will agree that the pool was cold but most are when you first get in. The poolside does get windy in the afternoon but this was very welcome as the whole area is a sun trap. All the staff we had dealings with were very helpful and professional and we had no issues at all with them. Alvor itself is a beautiful little place that is at max a 15 min walk or a whole €3.50 in a taxi away. All in all this is a great hotel in a great place and I will be going again as soon as possible.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank Dave B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alvor
Pestana Alvor Praia
Pestana Dom Joao II
Pestana Delfim Hotel
Pestana Delfim Hotel
#8 of 24 in Alvor

Been to Alvor Baia Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!