Alvor Baia Resort Hotel
Luna Alvor Village(Alvor)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$150
US$81
Agoda.com
Good 3.5/5
Pestana Dom Joao II(Alvor)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$113
US$106
US$148
US$139
US$79
TripAdvisor
2,024 results
All reviewsgreen restaurantfishthomson repspay barfree bus to the beachevening entertainmentkids clubgrand barinclusive barentertainment teamdining roomschildren's buffetpool baraqua gympool viewmini discolovely hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My Wife and I have just returned from Alvor , this is our first time in Portugal, we tend to go long haul for our breaks but fancied a change. We booked this hotel with THOMSON and it looked great it was on the platinum range, our holiday got off to a bit of a shambles we did the Thomson on line check in but at both ends it was a bit of a mess about ,still stuck in queues ,I do think this will get better,(I hope) We arrived at the hotel after a 50 min transfer, and our first impressions were WOW, very clean and modern ,Rooms were great and always kept spotless by the cleaners we had 209 which was away from the centre but proved to be very quiet, the ones nearer the bar and reception were a bit noisier there are 4 floors all serviced with lifts, these can prove busy most times be prepared to wait ,pool was massive but cold all the time, sun loungers are a lottery, if you get down after 9.00am you will be lucky to get one, the sign said do not reserve beds but people still did, also they had some strange rules about pool usage, NO RINGS,OR FLOATS,NO SWIM UNDER WATER,NO BALLS, the pool guards took this serious and several people were warned one couple were even harassed by the pool man and a security guard, this went on for 4 or 5 days with different people involved, overkill I think, activitys were poor for an all inclusive only volley ball ,water polo and aqua gym, there is a games room if you like that sort of thing ,also a spa which was nice but pricey 50 euro for 2 people, Food was good but sometimes needed warming up, this was mainly at breakfast but microwaves were available, the bar in the reception is a pay bar, so be aware, no wrist bands are needed just use your room card to get drinks and enter dinning areas, no charges, towels are provided at a deposit of 20 euro each refundable at the end of your stay, safety boxes in the rooms are 12 euro a week but always worth having, a free bus service from the hotel takes you to the beach, times are provided for this service. My only gripe is the amount of noise in the dining rooms and bar areas there is no quiet spots where you can escape to, this also is a hotel which is more for familys and not couples, spent most of the time retreating to our room or going into town ,its a big complex so could have this facility and with 2 dinning rooms one could cater for adults only, This is the only reason we would not return, I would recommend this hotel for familys only, unless you don't mind the noise, and the children running feral. All inclusive wise it needs to improve on the entertainment side of things ,one singer every night doing the same songs gets a bit tedious shows are poor, done on a 12ft x12ft stage.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 209 away from the centre it was very quiet not much of a view though but sat out on the balcony a few times chilling out.
2  Thank joalan2
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Well where do I start, I have literally just returned today from this hotel, and before i arrived I read the reviews like a lot of ppl and was a little worried, but when we arrived I was very impressed with the hotel and pool area. When we arrived the queue for check-in was fairly long so the rep told us to go and get a bite to eat first, which we did and when we finally got to reception the queue had gone. When we got to our room (132 ) which was a pool view we were very impressed with the apartments they were very clean and modern as to was the kitchen and bathroom.. The shower was very powerful and we always had very hot water so no complaints there, the kitchen had a microwave, which I appreciated as I have a small toddler so I was able to heat her milk and food, a lot of ppl complain because the kitchen doesn't have a kettle or cutlery etc, but why would you need all that if your all inclusive? Also reading a review earlier someone mentioned that the hotel doesn't provide diet coke, this isn't true I saw in all the bars that they provided diet coke.. The hotel provides a free bus service to the beach which we used once which was great as it can be a fairly long walk back. The pool area is lovely and big with lots of sun loungers sometimes I felt a bit close to the other sun beds but it didn't spoil our holiday. The pool at the start of my holiday did feel very cold but towards the end of the week I actually got in and stayed in so it couldn't of been that bad! The hotel also provides pool towels for 20 euro's which is refundable at the end of your holiday. The restaurants in the hotel were nice, yes the food was a bit repetitive and I found the food not to be pipping hot, but Iv never had pipping hot food in all inc hotels, I think if the restaurants did theme nights that would make a nice change, the entertainment wasn't great but for us a family with 2 small children, once we had dinner we usually put them to bed and sat on the balcony so it wasn't much of a problem for us, the only thing I was gonna mention is the kids disco started quite late I thought and depending on which DJ was on the music started of with chart music then went into an Ibiza rav which I didn't mind but considering the disco was for young children I didn't think it was appropriate but having said that my son really enjoyed dancing around on stage. While we were on holiday we decided to do a trip to Zoomarine which was fantastic, well worth a visit the dolphin show was fantastic! And brilliant for children... All in all we had a wonderful holiday and really enjoyed ourselves, we would defiantly return back to this hotel if the price was right!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ljlangers
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just back from this hotel and glad to get away. It was like a featureless shopping centre full of kids.
It has nice rooms but so what we paid enough for them. Food typical cheap buffet food. The "BAR" was a shack by the pool that issued warm drinks in plastic cups. Do not stay here if you want a grown up holiday.

Room Tip: Room 332 has nice pool view
2  Thank hippo099
JorgePalma, Gerente geral at Alvor Baia Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your stay at our hotel and for your feedback. We are very sorry that you had to deal with those issues. However we would be pleased to welcome you again!

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Me and my partner have returned from our week stay at the Alva Baia, we're both in our mid twenties and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! In my opinion and my partners, from the reviews we have read from others, people complain too much about silly little things, and need to learn to enjoy the holiday. We arrived early morning, the coach transfer from the airport from the hotel seemed a little far, but beautiful views on the way. When we finally arrived we were very impressed by the outside grounds of the hotels! And were greeted by our Thompson rep! Once we were in reception we checked in and had to wait about an hour for our room to be ready, but we didn't mind so we explored the hotel and sat in the sun whilst we waited for our room to be ready. The reception staff were fantastic and very accommodating. We arrived to our room and were very impressed! Very spacious and clean! With a fantastic pool view! The staff around the hotel were amazing and very friendly and met your every need! And nothing was ever a problem! The maid service were excellent kept our room clean and fresh everyday! Food every day was lovely, my partner is a fussy eater! But always found something to eat. Such a good variety, morning and evening, never really ate at lunch time. Very much enjoyed the different pastas, fresh fish, cheese, fruit, so much variety very impressed!! The only down side of the stay was the bar closing at 11 and not enough entertainment. A lot of people around the people liked to keep towels on the sun loungers, so found it difficult to find a bed so we had to go on the grass a few times. We went to the beach, beautiful sandy beaches, the town was beautiful lots of of lovely bars and restaurants and the locals very welcoming. We really enjoyed our stay and felt like a week wasn't long enough. We definitely would go back.

• Stayed: June 2014
9  Thank AdeSim
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Alvor is a lovely resort, fantastic beach, no hassle anywhere,,, the hotel is so clean, so well organised, so BIG, but no atmosphere, maybe im a bit old, but it had no character, the food is reputious,but its great at breakfast, the rest is ok, ish,, the pool is massive, great family hotel, bit far from the beach, if you have trouble walking, it takes a good 15/20mins and hilly,but worth it, there is a free bus from hotel, very good. if you are a family, id say go here, if you spend your time round the pool area, would I go to this hotel again, no, but only because of where it was, good walk downhill to centre, would I recommend this hotel to families, yes I would, to single cples or older people, no I wouldn't, to new for us. The staff are helpful the rooms are massive, the balcony is enormous, they all are, And you will enjoy Alvor, just my honest opinion from someone who has travelled a lot in Portugal.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same I believe, but a pool view is better, the rest face the main road at front of hotel,
6  Thank Kathleen23