Was not sure what to expect with a Portuguese all-inclusive holiday, as the reviews were mixed (although overall positive). Holiday was with Thomson, and we flew from Luton in August 14.
Hotels and room were very clean, and the hotel still felt new (must have been recently built, as doesn't appear on google maps yet). Overall staff were helpful.
Very close to small harbour town of alvor, which is nice without being tacky. Lagos is a 20 kin water taxi away.
Pool is enormous, with plenty of room (see parasol issues below).
2 main restaurants (blue and green) with same buffet menu in both. Selection ok but limited, I would imagine even the kids would get bored with the same selection after a week. Branded beer (super bock) available on tap
Note- usually very fast table clearance
I guess it's always easy to list the problems, so here they are;
- towel deposits. Asked to pay a 20eur per towel deposit! I can't ever remember being asked to do that before - management don't trust the guests?
- wind in the afternoon at the pool. I know they can't control the weather, but they could prepare for it better. There are nowhere enough parasols, which led to an early morning stampede (if not downstairs by 8am - no chance of a parasol), and the ones that are there are in poor condition.
- poolside 'entertainment'. Way too loud, and it felt like we were attending a rave each day. I thought holidays were about relaxing as well? Tone it down, and just do it for an hour in the morning and afternoon please
- wi-fi (or lack of) : available in reception and main lobby, but not elsewhere. In this day and age, hotels should offer free wifi around the property
- room safe: usual self programmable, but amazingly a separate initialization and daily charge of 1.50 euro! Come on, just put it in the room charge
Overall we had a good time, and the best feedback is that we would probably go again, but we would feel better if the issues above were taken care of first.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., LoveHolidays, Evoline ltd, Agoda, Odigeo, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your Alvor Baia Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.