“Another Great Stay”

Pestana Alvor Praia
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just returned from a 10 day break at the Pestana Alvor Praia. This is my fourth visit to Portugal, I've stayed at the Alvor Praia once before, and also it's sister hotel Dom Joao II just down the road. Incidentally, I actually booked to stay at the Dom Joao II, however much to my delight we were moved to the Praia as the Dom Joao was overbooked.

Overall, my stay wasn't as great as the last time I stayed at the Praia. We had an 'Ocean View Room' which was interrupted by a roof. We were also given a room on the left-wing of the hotel, which doesn't even look part of the Praia when you look at it from the beach. Of course I was delighted with an upgrade which saved us about £500+, however I did feel like we were shoved at the end a little bit. On my last stay at the Praia I had a fantastic room, and the service was great. I rang the reception a few times for towels (which we weren't given one day), lights to be fixed and to request a new TV remote, and our calls were unanswered which was very disappointing. When you are a priority in the hotel, you really are a priority, but I couldn't help but feel like we weren't as valued on this stay.

In my opinion, unless you pay for the best rooms (which are really expensive!!) the hotel is not a 5*. It's 5* for its premier location and great views, and extortionate bar prices (it was cheaper for a beer than some soft drinks!). Other than that, I really cannot fault Alvor, the beaches, the staff, or the nearby restaurants. If you're a family or married couple, this is great, but if you're a younger couple, you might find yourselves getting a bit bored.

Room Tip: I've seen both the garden view rooms and ocean view rooms. If you're getting moved to the Pr...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kerry M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,293)

Reviewed 21 July 2012

We were informed a day before flying our hotel had been changed. To say the least, we were concerned. Upon arrival however, we were pleased to see a nice hotel and meet very pleasant staff. Upon return, I have decided to enter this review as our stay could not have been better ! Every aspect of the hotel is truly 5 star (some bathrooms are functional) the high quantity of capable staff made every problem disappear quickly. The food is firtst rate, meals are not cheap, but you do get what you pay for. In short , I would go again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: We had a garden view ( cheapest ) it was smaller than sea view. however, a very pleasant view and no...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Nigel P
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Hotel and staff were amazing! A man plays a grand piano to welcome you into breakfast and the waffles were fantastic.

Spent 7 days here got a free upgrade with a lovely view of the garden fountain. Beach was just amazing with stunning views. I will say though the swimming pool is freezing on a morning. They do have a much warmer pool inside and your less likely to get sun burnt.

Our room was upgraded for free and was twice as big as the other standard room with a large sofa and a mini fridge to store all your drinks from the local supermarket which is only a short walk away. The bathroom was incredible and very stylish however there is only a frosted glass panel wall and door to it so not much is left to the imagination of anyone your staying with sound wise.

The bar is great but very pricey about 6 times the price of drinks in the local area, I would advise drinking and eating out. Never tried the hotel food apart from the breakfast which was buffet style with omelets, full English, continental, fruit, cereal and waffles.

There is a gym but it could do with updating as all the equipment is very worn and old and there is no air-con. Also the air-con in the room was next to useless even at full power I could put my hand right over it and not tell the difference.

Other than those small issues though the entire holiday was fantastic and would most definitely go again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Beanie W
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Just returned from a four day break at Pestana Alvor Praia. This is the nineth time we have stayed at this hotel.As usual we had a great stay.The staff were as freindly and helpful as ever and although i agree with other reviews about the decor being a bit dated,this hotel has everything you could want for a relaxing holiday. The pool is always clean and the beach is to die for. Even better knowing you can get off your sun lounger and get the lift straight down to the beach!!!!! We always go bed and breakfast as it is quite expensive to eat in the hotel and there are so many lovely restaurants in alvor town.Which is only a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel. Be sure to try a restaurant called Albar snack bar and restaurant. The Albar steak with egg and mushrooms is delicious !!!!!! Get there early as its very popular. Cant wait to go back

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian W
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Had a wonderful stay here, great facilities and right on beach. Only down side was cost of food and drink in hotel was way over the top but plenty of great restaurants within walking distance. Great staff too. Would love to go back

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anmhiabu
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We spent 9 nights at The Alvor Praira after the hotel and Alvor itself being recommended by a friend. We had room 620 which was spacious and had a lovely sea view.
We had stayed at a Pestana in Maderia last year which was of a very high standard so we expected similar service and facilities in Alvor.
The location is perfect, with a short walk to a lovely beach (and beach bar). Always plenty of sunbeds and parasols available every day. We had bed and breakfast and chose to walk into Alvor every evening for dinner. It's around a 20 minute walk but most chose to get taxi's which were very cheap.
Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and freshly cooked eggs, and pancakes available and all the staff were very friendly. Beds large and comfortable in the room with a spacious bathroom and shower.
We believe there are only 5 hotels in Alvor and this certainly looked the best !
Alvor itself is a lovely village with a great atmosphere is the evening. Nice bars and restaurants with lots of choice. Would certainly return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view of the beach and the sea !! There are 6 floors in total.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ALANANDLYNDA
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Always sceptical when reading other reviews, so this is my first attempt at writing a review, so from the top- The Hotel, absolutely fantastic, well positioned over looking the sea, breakfast was help yourself buffet which never disappointed due to the choice available, th I have to say the fruit salad at breakfast was amazing.
Staff- so courteous, helpful without a doubt a credit to the hotel. The Room we had a sea view on the fourth floor room 438 wow what a view over the bay fabulous.
Entertainment a bit low key, we chose to taxi in to Alvor every other night, such a choice of quality restaurants, bars, shops etc, Alvor is such a nice place that we would visit again.
My partner Julie and I had a fabulous stay which I would recommend to anyone, 5 Star yes though it's not a new hotel it's decor, location and access to a beautiful beach makes this such a nice place to stay.
Alvor is low key compared to Spanish resorts which is what makes Portugal / Alor such a nice place.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Glyn W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alvor
Pestana Dom Joao II
#3 of 24 in Alvor
Tivoli Carvoeiro
Tivoli Carvoeiro
#3 of 18 in Carvoeiro

Been to Pestana Alvor Praia? Share your experiences!