“Over rated”

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Alvor
Dublin
“Over rated”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This Hotel has as much atmosphere as a private clinic or nursing home which is fine if you just wish to sleep (on hard beds), lie by the swimming pool or read a book, this is possibly due to the timeshare aspect of this hotel, which gives it a very different if dull character. The bar and restaurant was over priced and much better value was to be had locally. Fortunately Alvor centre and some beach bar restaurants are within an easy 15 minutes walk. Snack Bar Suica on the walk into Alvor did an OK breakfast for €6, good pastries and served a generous Macieira brandy for €3.50 and a 40cl Strella for €0.90 which was rationed by the herself.

There was a key code electronic safe in the apartment with the normal instructions to reset and enter your own code, however the hotel had overridden this, so you had to get the reset code from reception (which was 8888) and a charge of €2.00 a day, sneaky and annoying !!!

This is not a hotel for anyone seeking even a moderate holiday atmosphere and definitely not for parents with young children. I would not go back even if I end up on a zimmer frame.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gannet44

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
Dunblane, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We booked here via Travel Republic for 1 week. We had visited Alvor previously many times but in February staying at Pestana Alvor Praia hotel. We wanted to visit in the summer season, and were not disappointed - the weather was terrific all week and the restaurants in Alvor as good as we remembered.
The hotel was very clean & comfortable - our room on the top floor was a "time-share" apartment with kitchen area large lounge and balcony area with sea-view. The pool area was also spacious with plenty of loungers. There is an indoor pool adjacent to the main pool with sauna facilities (but we never saw them turned on!).
On the negative side, like the previous reviewer commented on, there was very little ambience in the resort, the cafe area near the pool was adequate but the menu was disappointing and expensive and the service terrible with a very dour waitress!!! I had an English Breakfast on one occasion - never to be repeated - it was awful!!!
Having said this would we return here... Certainly, the hotel is near to the centre of Alvor, and there are lots of excellent places to eat, try the "Old Up" - top floor for an amazing breakfast at low cost!
Finally, we booked a Sunset Cruise from Portimao - with ourselves and two other couples on board, Champagne, strawberries on ice and hors d'oevres served - wow a must trip!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BigG99_10
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Clean precise often robotic hotel. Fine if you like that sort of experience on your hols but we prefer a bit of an edge a glimmer of atmosphere. One day we didnt want the housekeeping so just left the DND sign on the door..to our amazemement housekeeping came barging in at 5pm to make sure we weren't dead!! So to sum up if you want a hotel that is whisper quiet with all the personality of freshly filleted cod the pestana park is for you...

1 Thank baggs1971
Geordie in Yorkshire
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights with wife in a 1 bedroom apartment. We had asked for a 3rd or 4th floor apartment facing the pool and were given one on 2nd floor facing the gardens and road! Found out later that best apartments go to Timeshare and Vacation Club members which is fair enough. Room was a little tired in places but spacious, well equiped and clean. TV gets 4 English channels including BBC1, ITV, 4.

Not too far to walk to get into town for food and entertainment. Happy to recommend.

1 Thank dougydon
north east
Reviewed 19 September 2013

have just returned from a 12 night stay at the alvor park and while we really enjoyed our stay there were a couple of things not so good.
pros, everywhere in this hotel is spotlessly clean at all times, the apartments are very spacious and equipped with everything you could need, lovely views from the large balcony which are furnished with table and chairs and 2 loungers. pool area is great always plenty of sunbeds and a nice garden area with water features ect. staff mostly friendly and helpful, internet access and library and games room.
cons, lack of atmosphere in the whole place, you sometimes felt like whispering!! no pleasant music or anything in the bar and never anyone in it, which was a shame because thats normally the place to get to meet fellow geusts, maybe the prices had a lot to do with it, but you do expect to pay more in a hotel and we would have used it more if it hadnt been so quiet, such a shame because really nice surroundings. pool snack bar, which is all it is, food ok, but snack bar food at restaurant prices, only used it a couple of times, (needed a bottle of water for our last morning and what cost under 1 euro at shop cost us 3-60 at pool bar)
all in all i would recomend the alvor park, re my title, more good things than not so good.
alvor, we loved, could not believe the choice of bars and restaurants for such a small place, fabulous beach, lovely harbour, great place to watch the sunset, would we go back? you betcha.

Room Tip: top floor, 4th, fab views
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We first found this hotel by pure chance 4 years ago and have returned every year since then. It is a lovely hotel, relatively small but with superb accommodation and a wonderful pool and gardens. The rooms are excellent with good furnishings and very comfortable beds, all rooms have air conditioning. The staff are all wonderful and made us welcome at all times, the restaurant is small but serves decent food at breakfast and lunch times and there are lots of excellent specialist restaurants within easy walking distance for dinner and special occasions. The atmosphere is very peacefully and the views from the higher floors are very pleasant facing the sea and the town of Alvor itself which is a charming and authentic Algarve community with plenty of attractions within easy reach.

Room Tip: Book early and go for the higher floors for the views.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Berkshire
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Despite booking this hotel 9 months ago, we arrived yesterday to be informed that we had been moved to the Alvor Atlantico. A "hotel" that is part of the Pestana group but is actually just a time share.

It would seem Pestana have a regular habit of overbooking their hotels. I asked why their website still allows people to book if there are no rooms and all the comment I got back was "I cannot speak about that." Clearly a way for the Pestana group to keep taking customers money then dumping them elsewhere without any prior warning.

The receptionist at Alvor Park was bordering on rude and when we were taken to the Dom Joao II to check in to the Alvor Atlantico I demanded to speak to the manager.

I told him I'd booked the Alvor Park 9 months ago, specifically for the facilities as I have a triathlon in 2 weeks and the gym would allow me opportunity to get some continued training in.

I asked for a room in the Dom Joao II instead but was informed that they had no rooms either.

Apart from a small indoor pool the Atlantico has NO facilities although you can use the pool etc at Dom Joao. However, as I stated to the manager, I didn't book the hotel to have to walk 5 minutes to the gym/pool, I booked it so I had these facilities on site.

This morning we had to walk in the rain to get to the Dom Joao. I know the weather isn't the managers fault but if we were staying there or Alvor Park this wouldn't have been an issue.

We were offered an "upgraded" room at the Atlantico and my fiancé negotiated breakfast to be included (again at the Dom Joao), but this was a struggle as they seemed to feel offering us a sea view was enough of a "gift" for our inconvenience. The fact that we have to look round the side of the balcony for the sea view is beside the point. Then they tried to charge me €81 a night instead of the €67 I had on my confirmation. Luckily I had that printed out and stated I would not be paying the inflated price!!

I'm extremely disappointed in Pestana and will not be staying with them again. I will be writing to their head office asking for full reasoning as to why we were moved with no prior warning, when we had booked 9 months ago. If there were people who booked after us, why were they not moved.

I used to work in hospitality and never did we over book and have to turn people away or treat them like this. I am aware airlines overbook by 10% regularly but you are generously remunerated and often upgraded if economy is busy but premium/business is not.

I would urge anyone who is going to stay here to phone/email before hand and get it in writing that you will be staying at the Alvor Park.

6 Thank PinkSparkle85