“Cheap but very acceptable.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Alvor Golf

Club Alvor Golf
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Alvor
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Cheap but very acceptable.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

Just stayed for a week.

Basic apartment hotel ex thompsons I believe. Good sized rooms with a kitchen/living room bathroom etc. Also has a pool - but no bar/music/food. And that makes it quite quiet; good news or what?

Perhaps a bit tired now but at £150 for a week who cares.

10 minutes easy walk to the town centre.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank steven_rochester

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

totally agree with lady who stated that the hotel must have once been a lovely hotel. although very basic we do not recognise some of the silly comments that have been made,eg juddery lifts, loose floor tiles in reception , noisy animals at night etc. It would however be disappointing for families going s/c as amenities not up to scratch and it is a fair old way into town. Taxi drivers seem to charge what they like, from 3 Eur-5.60 Euros!! for same distance. This hotel needs TLC.!!! Its ashame. Any members of the 1209 club?

Room Tip: ask taxi drivers for price before getting in cab.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jill1209
Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Arrived at these apartments to attend our son's wedding. On arrival about 1.00pm thought it was strange that nobody was at the pool, having taken I closer look we soon realised why...It was gruby and dirty! I had read the reviews before leaving but thought surely it can't be that bad, oh how wrong we were!
We were given the keys for the three rooms which we had booked .As I opened the door I was greeted by a horrible smell and un-made beds. We then changed to another room, yes they were quite big but very dated. I filled the kettle to make a drink, this took an hour to boil half a cup so I gave that one up as a bad job. No basic cooking facilities no oven, microwave nothing. went to the supermarket which was about a 40 min walk away to get some groceries on my return went to put them in the fridge and guess what... it did'nt work,! Neither did my sister's who had a different room. She went to reception to complain as also the toilet didn't work, (to flush it she had to tip water down it). The lady at reception who I might add did not seemed suprised followed her up took one look at the fridge and said "well it's old". I opened some of the cuboards in the kitchen to find no shelves and what looked like something had been spilled about 10 years ago and had never been cleaned up. There were webs everywhere with dead spiders and bugs. The shower sprayed everwhere and was useless. On the first night after having a shower we were all still covered in sand ,the tiles everything in the place was old and grubby. I have never in all my life written a review but I felt like I had to in order to warn others who were thinking of going.
Change your hotel before you even leave. We are not fussy people but this place needs to be closed down. I dont think it has ever been maintained, it looks dangerous.
We were very lucky after only one night I rang the travel company but couldn't get through so I rang my friend in England who contacted them for me. They then rang me and told us to pack straight away and leave. When we got to reception to hand the keys in they did not seem shocked in anyway. At this point another guest and his son were heading towards us bags packed ,he to had only managed 1 night. Unfortunatley for him he had to pay 800 euros to book in another hotel, we had to pay only 30 euros between 8 of us, it was the best money we have ever spent. There were also another two girls that left costing them 260 euros for other accomodation, by the time we left the place was dead. There were also no facilities you could not even get a bottle of water, no bar shop nothing.
We were booked in down the road at Clube Brisimar, on arrival the children in our party were so shocked to see a large lovely pool ,resturant, bar and large screen T V. The rooms were clean and nice such a difference from where we had left. Please think twice before staying at the Club Alvor Golf it will ruin your holiday, take it from someone who didn't believe that the reveiws could be so true.

Room Tip: We had three rooms all were awful.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Parkinsonon8

Travellers are raving about these Alvor hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

Have to say, reading some of the previous reviews, I was very apprehensive. But I needn't have worried. It was a very clean and friendly place. Yes, basic accom, but you do get what you pay for. Local to the town of Alvor, and within 10 minutes to the beach. I deal for families or more mature traveler. Not really for those of you wanting to party all night, though there are night clubs/bars down near the harbour if that's your thing ;)

Alex

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank darchief
St Helens
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

We booked a week here but stayed only 1 night. The apartment was spacious but very old and worn - no electric kettle or cooker (just a hole where it used to be), rotted chipboard in the cupboards and cracked tiles in the kitchen area. The bathroom was disgusting - dirty cracked tiles, dirty toilet and filthy old shower. The building is miles from anywhere - we were told by the receptionist that it was a 12 minute walk into Alvor. It took at least 20 minutes. There are no restaurants or shops nearby and we were told that there wasn't even a bus service. I can't understand why travel companies still use this place. We left after one night and booked ourselves into the Alvor Bay Luna which is right on the beach front and absolutely brilliant - well worth the extra £200. Alvor is beautiful with plenty restaurants and bars but still maintains it's traditional charm.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JodieStHelens
Dumfries, Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed here from 3rd - 10th May and had a fantastic holiday. The apartments themselves are tired and need re-furbishing but we only paid £50 each for the week and only used the room to sleep and get showered and changed at night. It was very quiet when we were there and we enjoyed that especially at night. The beds were not the most comfortable but sheets were changed 2 times during the week and the towels 5 days out of 7. Our shower had no fitting for the wall and my husband had to hold it whilst I washed my hair but plenty of hot water and power. We found the reception staff friendly and helpful. Alvor itself is a lovely place with some beautiful restaurants. Try Vagabondos or their other restaurant across the road The Pizzeria. We went there 6 out of 7 nights and the food and the service were excellent. Plenty of bars with friendly staff especially Freddies. We went in there for drinks everyday. Iain & Anne-Marie run this bar and they were so friendly, nothing was a bother for them. They have lovely staff working there too - Alison, Katie and Dave. Will definately be back. At the end of the day if you want 4 star you have to pay 4 star prices.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jeanette_ross8
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

Knew this was going to be basic, that I can handle. This place should be condemned. From the shabby entrance (floor tiles move beneath your feet) into the graffitti covered lifts that groan and shudder to an alarming stop and then into the room... .
The sheets were clean, everything else seemed to be covered in a layer of grease (soft furnishings included). The toilet and shower were filthy. Yes the place is old but that does not excuse the conditions of the apartments. Booked in on the 7th May, booked out on the 8th. Yuck.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fairbrae
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alvor
Dunas do Alvor Apartments
#20 of 59 in Portimao
Clube Alvorferias
Clube Alvorferias
#11 of 26 in Alvor

Been to Club Alvor Golf? Share your experiences!