“We will not be returning”

Restaurante Ababuja
Ranked #31 of 152 Restaurants in Alvor
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“We will not be returning”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a weeks vacation in the town of Alvor in the Algarve.
We had a wonderful time, the weather was great and the town of Alvor was very welcoming especially its wide variety of restaurants, well all accept one that s to say.
On the second last night of our holiday we visited the Ababuja restaurant down by the harbour it looked very nice from the outside and so we decided to take a table. Our waiter came over fairly promptly and provided us with menus, while another server brought a selection of the days catch to our table to view.
We were asked what we would like to drink and my wife inquired if we could get a jug of sangria, the waiter was unsure and went away to find out if this was possible only to return and tell us no that they didn't do sangria. I am not a big drinker so with no sangria I opted for water and my wife asked for just a glass of house white. Again the waiter was unsure if he could do this and need to go away to find out if it was possible before he returned some minutes later with an opened bottle to pour my wife her glass of wine and take our order
To start we ordered the special seafood salad for two which when it arrived looked lovely but was very small. To follow we got the seafood cataplana for our main. This was shoved on to our table by a surly waitress. The cataplana was lovely filled with Monkfish,Prawns and Clams..
Time for dessert and our original waiter came with the dessert menus which had lots of choices on it and we both opted for Banoffi, its one of our favourites, alas our waiter informed us they didn't not have any Banoffi and then he stood there inpatient while we perused the menu again.
I had chocolate cake and my wife opted for a mousse. I finished my cake and though my wife had put her spoon down she was not finished her mousse when our waiter ( the original one) lifted my empty plate and attempted to take my wife's dessert, he apologized and walked away with my empty plate. Less than 5 minutes later another waitress attempted to take my wife's dessert because she wasn't eating it. plus she did not apologise to my wife.
When we finally finished our meal I asked for the bill and I have never seen a bill returned to a table so fast. It felt like a case of "Here's your hat, whats your hurry". Now if the restaurant was packed and they had guests waiting on tables i would have understood, but almost half the tables in the restaurant were empty.
Overall we were very disappointed with the whole experience.
Ababuja is a big restaurant and making a jug of Sangria should not be a major problem.
Waiting staff should not need to go away to find out if it is possible to provide a customer with a glass of wine.
If something is not available from the menu the waiting staff should know this and should advise the customers before they try to order it.
No waiting staff should ever try to remove a customers plate before asking if the customer is finished.
Finally no customer should ever feel that they are unwelcome visitors in any establishment.
While the food was good it was not great and when compared to other restaurants in Alvor Ababuja is quite pricey add to this the poor quality of staff and you will see why we will not be returning.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank CDeevey

Lewes, United Kingdom
“Nice restaurant, Waitresses could do with people skills.”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I drove miles to visit this place, the location is great, food is great, it's just I found the staff rude. I wanted a refill of wine and the waitress just tipped the contents of the bottom of the bottle in to the glass and argued it was the same one we had ordered earlier. It wasn't and the amount she poured was tiny and was sweet which I don't like. The head waitress replaced it which was great, by then though I just wanted to leave. I am sure it was a one off but it just put me off. I left without leaving a tip and felt disappointed.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank technologycentre
Eastbourne
“Six Return”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We have been coming to this restaurant for ten years and always save the best till last. Sadly this year it is far from the best! The food was dissappointing, they seem to be cutting corners, service was not good and the waiting staff not attentive or friendly. Don't know if we will bother to come back again next year. Very sad!!!

• Visited April 2014
“Average for price ”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Main course very nice fresh fish, starter poor, clams with 16 cloves of garlic!l! Yes 16!!!
However way too expensive and miles behind a lot of other restaurants in Alvor and for a lot less money as well!

portland on
“Fabulous fresh fish”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Our favorite restaurant in Alvor we were here 8yrs ago and ate here 20 times. Only in southern Europe do they know how to cook fish properly just grill it with a little olive oil and salt. Eight years later still serving great fresh fish we can't get fish a home like this at any price. Some people say the fish is expensive hello the .world is running out of wild fresh fish so it costs more. Surprised this restaurant is not rated higher I guess Alvor gets too many meat eaters as visitors.

• Visited March 2014