“Amazing authentic food”

O Charneco
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Estombar
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Pequeno restaurante tradicional, que se dedica á Confeçao e divulgação da comida regional algarvia.
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is quite late writing a review but I just found it here as I had forgotten the name. We went there on our honeymoon as my wife likes finding places "off the beaten path". This was August 2007. I must confess I was quite reluctant especially that we could not find the place and we did it seemed dingy form the outside. The beauty was that they didn't speak a word of English and we were told by a neighbouring table just to sit and enjoy. We received a five course mean , with every course being absolutely tasty and fabulous. I'm so glad I found it again here as I certainly would love to go there again. What was even more amazing is that it only cost less than $50 for the both of us!

1  Thank gizmoguycdn

Reviewed 7 June 2013

On the walls of this small, local eating house there are numerous drawings and cartoons of the larger-than-life proprietor. One stands out: the proprietor, fish slung over a shoulder, bottle of wine in hand, plate of food by his ample belly, and the simple and direct caption, "Eat you motherf*****s!" Indeed you will. There is no menu here; what you are experiencing is a succession of small courses - petiscos, the Portuguese equivalent to tapas or raciones - of foods that are completely faithful to Algarve tradition. You will start with perhaps some mountain-cured presunto, some olives and cheese; then some boiled gambas da costa - prawns from the Algarve coast, thinner skinned, sweeter than prawns from elsewhere; a dish of clams steamed in garlic and coentra - coriander; maybe some octopus salad or cavalinhas alinadas, marinaded small mackerel; a more substantial fish arroz, quite soupy, absolutely delicious; and then a meat dish of some sort, slow-braised lamb flavoured with fresh mint, or perhaps a feijoada - bean and pork stew. The plates keep coming and so does the wine, simple, branco or tinto served in carafes, to accompany the simple but faithfully traditional foods. The fact that the meal is so reasonably priced - 25 euros all in, including endless refills of wine, water and coffee - is almost beside the point. This is the sort of authentic, delicious, simple place that we try and seek out whenever we travel. More than just a meal, it is a real experience. Just remember to go when you are really, really hungry.

2  Thank MarcM209
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I have been to this restaurant many times and have always eaten to my heart's content. I don't really know how many courses - there is no menu... the first ones are cold but traditional choriço, presunto, shirmp, clams. If you loved any of these you can ask for more. There is usually a fish stew followed by roast lamb with potatoes. I love the little traditional desserts and of course the expresso and shot of firewater is also customary around here. I have called ahead of time to ask for something other than lamb if with people who don't enjoy. The food seems never ending and wine is always flowing. The cost is very reasonable for the area and amount of food served at €25 or €30 (I don't remember exactly).
It may be a little tricky to find but any local can tell you where it is - even the street is named after the owner.

7  Thank alivealvor
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Dined like a king. This little restaurant in the small village of Estombar is fantastic for anyone looking for typical Algarve cooking. At diner there's a prix fixe of 25€ for a 5 course meal of award winning dishes like milk-lamb and monkfish rice. Nevertheless be advised, go with some time to spare. Lastly, they even prepared a vegetable puree for our 2 year old on the fly and didn't charge it.

6  Thank Tiago N
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This was a fantastic find, there is no choice in what you eat, whatever is caught off the owners boat is on the menu that day. There are also meat dishes. All very good. Been many times now and will go many time more.

3  Thank init4thetravel