“Really let down”

Palladium Hotel Don Carlos
Reviewed 27 October 2013

It's taken me a while to review our holiday this year in August as I kept putting it off but here goes.......we booked our holiday at the Don Carlos last November so looked forward to it for months, we booked through our local Thomson and we splashed out a bit on a suite as it was our first ever couples hotel with out the children.

I emailed the hotel several times beforehand and very nicely asked if our suite had a sea view as that's what it stipulated on their online web page that suites had sea views and that we would dearly like a nice view.
I had a nice reply from the director of the hotel ( Ivan) who emailed me that he would personally handle my booking and that I would and could be assured our suite would have a wonderful sea view, Ivan even emailed me to ask if I would like a high floor and I replied 4th floor would be fantastic.
I felt this was going to be a great holiday as Ivan obviously looked after his guests and I started to count down the days till our dream holiday as reviews were good and the pictures of the suites looked gorgeous with the jacuzzi in the room and the great open plan feel with the his and hers sink.
Looking back I should of printed the emails from Ivan off and taken them with me as proof of his promises. What a silly naive women I must be.

The holiday arrived and we arrived........Simone booked us in not with a smile or a feeling of welcome....she gave us our room key...213 ...I said straight away that we are meant to be on the 4th floor.....no she said and checked our booking ...I told her that I had corresponded directly with Ivan and he had reassured me that we had our sea view suite on the 4th floor.

She said we hadn't paid for a sea view and brought out other peoples bookings that had booked and paid for a sea view so I could see the price difference. She remained cool and professional and detached from my mounting fear that indeed Ivan had not meant what he had written to me.

We took the key for 213 and were met by a larger room but not a suite that I had seen in the Thomson brochure or on the Don,s website but just a room with a separate bathroom.....no jacuzzi was in the room. When I stepped onto the balcony my heart broke ....all those months of looking forward to what I thought was going to be so wonderful a holiday. The view was over the back of the kitchens and a pile of rubbish and lots of orange crates.

I went straight down to reception crying tears of real heart break to start our holiday this way with this awful room and view when I had been promised I would indeed be receiving a suite that we had paid for and a wonderful view.

Simone said it was a suite and we were booked throughThomson's and that was what we had paid for.
She left me standing there crying my eyes out without any emotion from her at all. She said we could upgrade for another 300 euros. I told her we had already paid for a suite and carried on crying. It was humiliating to stand there like that while other guests were booked in.

In the end she gave me a key to 241 ...the suite that we had booked but it was an awful start to our holiday.

Some other points.......

The restaurant needs to cater for us vegetarians more as I struggled to find anything really good. On asking what was there that I could have the chef pointed to a dish of sweet corn and mushrooms...the al a carte was really nice but a very limited menu.
Aivis (entertainment) is a star and a really lovely man....always a smile and a wave and he works so hard in the summer heat.
The hotel is super clean and the cleaners are a credit to the hotel. I tipped our nice cleaning lady as she did such a great job.

We both really likes Santa Eulalia and will return but sadly not to this hotel as I felt so let down. You shouldn't have to cry on holiday should you.....Shame on you Ivan......

Room Tip: Make double sure you get what you booked and paid for.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
15  Thank genielamp123

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We enjoyed very much our stay 16th to 23rd 0ctober. We stayed all inclusive. Staff were excellent, from reception to cleaning. No problem at all with food, plenty of choice at every meal.
Room facilities very good, excellent shower. Bit of a walk to Santa Eulalia, if walking a problem, but plenty of benches to have a break and watch the world go by. Would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 4th floor sea view room, entertainment finished about 10.30/11.00 pm and we experienced no outside n...
6  Thank Lillian B
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed Sept for one week.
Very nice hotel, very clean, exceptionally friendly, great location (10 mins to centre)
been to this area last year and tried to book this hotel but fully booked, managed to grab a week this year as we love this area of the island.The web sight says all sea view rooms so assumed that I didn't need to pay extra but on arrival it was a garden view with the sea in the distance. Actually I didn't bother to change as it was quite nice and after seeing the rooms to the front it was obvious that the noise from the outdoor entertainment was on till around midnight. The entertainment is something I don't normally bother with as its usually rubbish but I have to say the daytime entertainment guy was so good, he really made us laugh, im sure it was his hotel LOL.
Food, im not complaining, but hotel food gets abit mundane after a while. We found Sat-tues was fine then I think they run out of ideas after then as it seemed liked poorer cuts of meat so it went from steak to meatballs. You had an la /cart restaurant which you could book twice in one week which was very nice, infact id say it was excellent, so book this thurs /Friday.
All in all a very nice hotel .

Room Tip: don't pick the rooms facing the pools in the centre , well they are suits anyway but more centra...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MrsbBucket
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Home from a two week vacation.Everything about this hotel is welcoming.All the staff have a smile and an 'ola' day or night from the maid to the management.We found all areas to be clean and hygienic.The bedrooms [we were in a standard room] were very modern and minimalist if a little small and limited on storage space. There was an excellent shower/bathroom.The size of the bedroom felt unimportant as the light and contemporary styling gave a sense of space the only issue was noise levels from adjoining bedrooms as the walls seem very thin.The entertainment staff [Aivis and Paula] went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure everyone had a good time.The buffet restaurant had plentiful choices but the desserts were a little repetitive.The main course selections always had at least three different fish choices as well as a plethora of meat dishes.During a two week visit we could dine in the a la carte restaurant three times,here the choices were slightly limited but included an excellent fillet steak,swordfish,prawn skewers and several pizza/pastas.The hotel is in an area called Siesta on the outskirts of Santa Eulalia which is a pleasant promenade stroll of about 15 minutes.Also worth a mention is the first bar you reach approaching Santa Eulalia having crossed the river.It is called Mariners has reasonably priced drinks and LIVE groups every evening playing mainly blues style music.All in all I would say this is the best hotel in the area much of which is down to the staff making you feel like one of the family.

8  Thank sunluvverPooleDorset
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Just back from a 10 day holiday at the Hotel Don Carlos. This is an excellent hotel with fantastic staff. We had a sea view room which was well worth the extra paid. The room was modern and very comfortable with an excellent bathroom and wonderful shower. The pool area is good and overlooks the sea, sun beds were always available. The dining room is very spacious and decorated to a high standard. Food was good and hot plates were always available, the salad bar was particularly good. We went to the a la carte restaurant twice and this was very special with a small but excellent menu. The entertainment team, Avis and Paula were the best, always friendly but never pushy, we enjoyed the fun of the daily quiz, and the evening entertainment was good. We look forward to returning to this excellent hotel and the resort of Santa Eulalia which is only a 15 min walk from the hotel with good cafes, bars, and good quality shops. It is also easy to visit other places on the island by using the boats from the nearby port.

Room Tip: A sea view room is recommended
7  Thank June P
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Four of us from coventry had a fab holiday lat week a special thank you to Aivis and Paula the hotels entertainment crew who worked so hard to keep all happy without being intrusive. They really were very professional. Food was plentiful and a huge selection of salads and Sweets. We will certainly return next year....can't wait!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for the superb views
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Migs4
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Lovely hotel. Staff excellent, very friendly. Rooms kept very clean and whilst a little on the small side for storage, was sufficient for us for two weeks. The food was good and we were able to find something each night with no problems. The breakfasts were again good and we did not find them at all greasy, as was previously commented upon. We were not all inclusive but found the drink prices similar to the local bars and were not too expensive. the pool and surrounding area was excellent even thought you get people up before it's light reserving beds. Our only negative comments were the décor and comfort of the seat in the reception area. Although recently refurbished we did not like the furniture and found it uncomfortable to sit in, but not a great problem. Lastly, we were in room 303 and just about had a sea view, but if the pine trees are allowed to grow much higher all the rooms on this side of the hotel could not be classed as see view. All in all these are minor points and we found the hotel, staff and facilities very good for our tastes and would return, hopefully next year.

Room Tip: You need a room on the 3rd or 4th floor if you have a side view room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Iberostar Santa Eulalia
Iberostar Santa Eulalia
#3 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & Spa
Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites ...
#4 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Hard Rock Hotel Ibiza
Hard Rock Hotel Ibiza
#1 of 33 in Playa d'en Bossa
Aparthotel Orquidea
Aparthotel Orquidea
#12 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio

Been to Palladium Hotel Don Carlos? Share your experiences!