“Brilliant holiday, lovely apartments and fantastic staff. We will be going back again!”
Review of Villas del Sol

and 1 more site!
Villas del Sol
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Villas Del Sol Apartmentos in Siesta, Santa Eulalia from 6th - 12th June 2009. We had a one bedroom apartment and booked through LowCostBeds.com which include Monarch Airlines flights, shuttle transfer to/from the airport and insurance.

We loved our stay at these apartments. They are run by Spanish husband and wife team, Vincente and Angelica. During our stay, the apartments were virtually empty, I think over the course of the week, I counted 3 or 4 other families/couples and there are 40 apartments in total. It was like having our own private pool most of the time, however Vincente told us that it gets busier as the season goes on and August is usually the busiest time.

When we were dropped off at the apartments, it was about 03.30-04.00 due to the flight times we had. The reception was locked shut and there was a sign on the door with a 24-hour telephone number to reach Vincente. I knew from researching this place that it's not 24-hour reception so I had been expecting this. Vincente came to meet us and checked us in; offering the choice of balcony or terrace (we chose balcony) and then he went back home again.

The next day, Vincente came to apologise to us as the booking had been orginally overlooked and if it hadn't then someone would have been there or the keys would have been left for us (depending on how many arrivals they have at one times determines if they stay the night at the apartments to check everyone in or just leave keys).

Our apartment (number 8) was nice and clean and had plenty of room for the two of us. The only thing I was slightly put off by was that the bedroom was at the 'front' of the apartment which meant that everyone walking past to get to the next apartments (if there had been other people staying!) could see into the bedroom. I kept the curtains pulled closed for the whole week, which was fine as we sat in the living room area most of the time which had the balcony overlooking the pool/bar area at the 'back' of the apartment.
The cleaner came twice during our stay and changed the towels/linen and emptied bins etc.

The sofa can be used as a third bed and the mattress pulls out from underneath. The springs in the main seat of the sofa had started to go a but so it wasn't the most comfortable to sit on, however my boyfriend did sleep on it a couple of times so he could have the balcony doors open as it was very hot (no air con) and he didn't complain too much!

The kitchenette had two cooking rings/extractor fan, microwave, fridge, sink and selection of cutlery/crockery/glasses and pots & pans. In the cupboard we found a kettle and toaster. I had read previously that other guests have hired them so I wasn't sure if they had been hired and not returned by the previously guests or if they had been supplied for us. I left them in the cupboard when we left so I hope they are there for the next guests!

There is a safe deposit box and the key costs €3.50 per day and a refundable deposit of €10.

There are 4 pools at the apartments; one large enough to swim in, 2 splash pools for children and the fourth is an inbetween size! There are two pools immedtiately by the bar/restaurant area and the other two are around the corner surrounded by the balconies and terraces of the apartments. There were lots if sunbeds and umbrellas (but there were hardly any people and Vincente told us that last August there had been a shortage so I suppose it can vary on availability).

There are three pool tables and a couple of arcade games for the kids. There are also two PCs in reception for internet (I think it was €1 for half hour). I did see a sign saying free wi-fi as well.

The restaurant is open from 10am - 3pm and then from 6pm - 10pm, but they serve snacks all day. The bar is open all day; until 10pm during our stay due to the lack of guests, but would be until 2am when more people around. All food and drinks can be ordered and taken back to your apartment; there is a menu in the apartment. They serve all the usual things like sandwiches, burgers, pizzas, paella, pasta and meat dishes etc
On Wednesday night they ran a BBQ night, which you need to book a seat for. Vincente cooked the BBQ outside. It cost €13 per adult and, I think, €8 per child. For our €26, my boyfriend and I got a jug of sangria, bread and alioli, a plate of salad and a plate of chips between us, jacket potato each and a selection of BBQ meat each (lamb chop, pork chop, chicken breast, sausage and chorizo). I thought this was execellent value as a meal for two in Santa Eulalia can cost €25-30 per person with what we got at the BBQ.

There is a supermarket across the road from the apartments and a chemist around the corner. Buy your mineral water from the supermarket and not the apartments as it's so much cheaper! Cans of beer are about 25 cents each in the supermarket as well.
There are also some restaurants/bars a couple of minutes walk away which mean you do not need to walk into Santa Eulalia if you don't want to. We didn't eat at these though as we walked into town everyday.

The walk into Santa Eulalia in downhill there and obviously uphill to get back. Vincente suggested we get a cab back from town (he guessed €5-6) but we decided to walk each time. The walk takes you past a 5* hotel and spa, along the edge of the river (the only one in Ibiza), across the bridge and then along the seafront/promenade. It took us about 20 minutes to get to the Oriquidea hotel (I class this as the edge of the main town - although you pass some bars and restaurants to get to this point) and then an extra 5 -10 minutes into the very centre of town.
We did this walk once or twice everyday (me in 4 inches heels in the evening) and had no problems except in the middle of the afternoon when the sun was at it's hottest (take some water).

On our last day, we were being picked up by the shuttle at 23:20 which was after the reception closed. We ensured that we had taken the safe key back before reception closed to get the deposit back and we were asked to leave the key inside the door of the apartment when we left.

Overall, the apartments are lovely (yes a little outdated, but most Spanish apartments like this all have the same furniture) and Vincente and Angelica are great. We will stay here again when we go to Ibiza next time and I wouldn't mind going when it's busier so we can see some of the entertainment they do at the apartments (there was no entertainment while we were there).

A little bit about Santa Eulalia........
Our favourite place to eat dinner is in Calle St Vincente ('restaurant street'). There is everything from tapas to Tex Mex to Indian and Chinese. There's a great atmosphere along the street and lots of pavement seating and a couple of cocktail bars. We ate at Palardis (Tex Mex), Daffers (modern European), the tapas on the corner (can't remember the name and a Spanish place opposite Daffers. Most places have set menu deals for about €12-15 per person.

We also like to have cocktails along the Marina or beachfront at night. Our two favourites are Liquido on the Marina (no persons under 16 years allowed) and Namibia lounge which is by the fountain on the beachfront.

We also went to Es Cana on the Wednesday for the Hippy Market. You can get a bus from Santa Eulalia bus station, but we went by water taxi which you get at the edge of the marina. They only run once an hour though! It was €9 return fare each and takes about 20-25 minutes to get there and then a 10 minute walk to the market.

Please message me with any questions.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy O

Reviewed 5 January 2009

Villas Del Sols main asset is its excellent staff namely Angelica and Vincent who run the place themselves. They work very hard multi-tasking and making everybody feel welcome. The rest of the staff follow their lead and are courteous and helpful also.
The apartments are in a small well laid out complex with 2 swimming pools one for the toddlers. Bouganvilla grows from the balconies and the top floor apartments all have roof terraces for private sunbathing accessed by a winding staircase. The standard of fixtures within them are basic which is a pity as the place could be really good if this problem was addressed.
They are ideal for a quiet, safe ,family holiday especially with younger kids. Forget it if you have teenagers as Santa Eularia offers very little for the 14-19 age group and the entertainment at the Villas would be too cheesy for them.
The apartments are located in Siesta a Hilly area about 30-40 mins stroll into the center of Santa Eularia which is full of good restaurants, shops and bars. Very little late night entertainment with no nightclubs present. The local beach is poor compared to the Islands selection of great beaches, the nearest good one is Cala LLonga which is 15mins away by bus.
The Villas Del Sol apartments are ideal for couples or small families that want a quiet and relaxing holiday centered around a pool with great staff, good food and not too many people about. They would not be reccomended for an activity holiday or somewhere where thers lots to do. Think of chilled and relaxing quality time with your family in a safe and small complex.If you can secure an apartment on the top floor do so as its worth it for the rooftop terrace.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dannykay
Reviewed 28 October 2008

We booked this hotel after reading previous reviews, we have an 8 month old baby so location we really important. The previous review stated it was a 10 minute walk to the centre, it isn't, its a good 25-30 minute walk to the main area,the marina is about a 40 minute walk, all uphill on the way back. The apartments were very,very basic, they reminded me of holidays in the 80's. there was no air con, not even a fan in bedroom, the hot water boiler was also in bedroom which made it even hotter, only enough hot water for one shower then had to wait 30 mins for water to heat up again. The kettle broke, the sofa broke, both myself and my partner got an electric shock from the sockets. Thankfully we were only staying a week, otherwise we would have most certainly have found alternative accommodation. We would never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank SamYorkshire_England
Reviewed 12 October 2008

This was our ninth visit to St Eularia but our first stay at Villas Del Sol. The owners are very accommodating as previous reports have said. After speaking with regular visitors and ex pat residents , its hard to get self catering accommodation that is anything other than basic in the area unless a private rent. I cannot believe that more people have not mentioned the adjoining door! If you get the wrong neighbours and cannot be moved, then it really will spoil your holiday. We were lucky enough to be moved after the second night. The three guys next door were noisy in the early hours of the morning and we could also hear them coughing up in the bathroom from 7am, it really is like they are in YOUR apartment. We are all on holiday and there has to be some give and take, unfortunately not every Brit behaves in that manner. St Eularia is a lovely place and until our budget runs to a break in utopia i would consider going back to Villas Del Sol. but not during high season when the chances of moving apartments would be slim.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Overnyter
Reviewed 21 September 2008

When we first got there our hearts sank, however;

The apartments are clean but basic. They are ideal for a base as they are close to the sea front (10 mins walk) and Santa Eulalia which is a very nice place with lots of good restaurants.

The rooms could do with modernisation, however the staff are very helpful and when there was a problem with the hot water it was resolved in under an hour.

One point to watch: our flight back was in the morning with a pick-up from the apartments just after 8am, the reception was closed so we were unable to get the deposits back on the fan and safe. Staff suggested that we should do this the night before but this would have meant leaving our passports unsecure and a room too hot, the staff need to resolve this issue.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LAT63
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I am in my late 20's and went here for a 'girls getaway'. We wanted a beautiful beach location, clear seas and a decent town. We chose well! The Villa de Sol in Santa Eulalia was a great place to stay. It is mainly very young families. Kids were not disruptive - and you get them everywhere so it shouldn't really factor in a decision anyway!? The staff were lovely, very warm, welcoming, and down to earth, very sociable to chat with around the bar etc.

The rooms are clean and tidy, with bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and lounge with balcony. There are two pools but I prefer the beach personally. The beach is no more than a 7 - 10 minute walk honestly! There are two gorgeous turquoise beaches alongside each other stretching all the way around to the Marina. There are shops and bars all the way along. There are some very nice restaurants with great fresh fish dishes (closer to the Marina the better they get). The area is beautiful.. I am going to return for sure! I am not a fan of package/tourist holidays and rate my beaches alongside those of australasia and was wary of it not rating well against my previous travels but it was lovely! If you are looking for fun the clubs are accessable through a taxi ride to San Antonio. The hippy market of Punta Araba on a wednesday is a short bus ride from town to Es Canar and a two minute walk. There is more to do but I couldn't stay away from the beach long enough to do it!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank beachaddict2
Reviewed 23 August 2008

Just got back and I must say this was one of the best Holidays my family and I have ever had.
Yes as in other reports the rooms are basic but if you want five star you have to pay five star prices. However the staff there Vincent, Angelica, David and all make this place very special.
on arrival at past 01:30 Vincent talked to us and served drinks. When I apologised for keeping him up he replied "this is a family hotel and why you are here then you are family".
This place is a real find, embrace the charm of the place along with the fun aspect and you will not be dissapointed.
We all cried when we left and look forward to returning.
Look for the negatives and you will find them however you do not need to look for the posatives because they are right infront of your eyes just open them!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends