“Nice hotel, but service / staff not so great”

Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & Spa
Frankfurt, Germany
“Nice hotel, but service / staff not so great”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The hotel is very nice and received an upgrade from a standard room to a suite with jacuzzi, which is obviously a very nice start.
HOWEVER:

- nobody took our bags when we arrived (neither from the car nor to our room)

- the jacuzzi is cold when you arrive. You need to call a technician who dismantles the jacuzzi to fill in hot water. Whole procedure took an hour from when I called reception until we could finally use it

- there is no tea or coffee making facility in the room. While I usually don't bother, I unfortunately had a bronchitis and needed to drink a lot of tea. The initial suggestion from reception was to ask room service for hot water and tea bags. Doing so resulted in a pot of tea at a charge of about 4€ plus 8€ delivery charge, i.e. 12€ for hot water and a couple of tea bags. I had to complain 5 times, including at check out and had to ask the receptionist to talk to the manager if I could not get a water heater because I was ill and needed to drink a lot of tea. Not so nice. Would have thought a receptionist had a bit more flexibility and wouldn't have to wait until the next day until the manager is in to check if she can take off 12€ from my room bill and send me a water heater... (btw, it worked the following day)

- there are a lot of families with small children in the hotel. That means it is not very relaxing and there are always children around (with the relating noise level)... I don't have anything against kids, but you should be aware...

- lunch at the pool restaurant took ages. After 15 minutes, still nobody came to give us a menu. So I got up to get it myself. A further 15 minutes later, somebody came to take our drinks order. I asked 3 times for someone to take our food order and were told every time that the waiter would be with us shortly. Another 10 minutes later the waiter arrived after I got up to ask him to stop by our table, i.e. about 40 minutes after sitting down at the table, we were finally able to place our order... unbelievable! Cleary not enough staff and not well trained. Also the other guests at surrounding tables didn't seem too impressed by the service quality. Food was nice though

The biggest no go was at check out. I had to ask again that the ridiculous charge for the tea is taken off the bill. I explained that I already reached out to reception a couple of times regarding this matter. The receptionist (Lydia) suddenly got very aggressive. She told me I signed the bill and by the way I would be in Spain and should be lucky that she is talking with me in English. (I am German by the way, so English is also not my mother tongue). Not sure what prompted this. I walked away to have breakfast and she shouted across the lobby to me that she would simply charge me for everything. An hour later when we just left our room with our luggage the phone rang and she told my wife that the tea would be taken off the bill... having just checked my credit card bill, they did not!

One final note on the jacuzzi suites: I checked the regular Internet price for the room (700-800€ per night) and it is definitely NOT worth it. For that kind of money, you can stay in a Four Seasons or something similar. Not sure how the standard room would have been (for about 330€ over the Internet), which I still find ridiculously high for a hotel with this service level.

BTW: We also stayed in the Aguas hotel in the same town. It is a different experience and I could not recommend the one over the other because they are so different.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor room (floor 3 or 4) with sea view. Jacuzzi suites are nice if you get a go...
1 Thank senator_traveller
InsotelHotelGroup, Manager at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & SPA for your holidays.

Also, thank you for the feedback you wrote about your stay. It´s very important for us to improve the issues you mentioned. I take a good note about the issues to improve.

We hope to see you again soon in our property and to be able to offer an excellent service.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Voorburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in Insotel Fenicia Prestige in Ibiza mid July 2014 with a party of 5 people, divided over 3 rooms. Overall we had a wonderful stay, with a beautiful room, gorgeous swimming pool, great buffet breakfast, situated very well, not too far from Ibiza town, but in a more quiet area. The staff at the poolbar and the Buffet breakfast were very friendly and helpful. Everyday around 12 am, they would serve fruit at the swimming pool, which we very much enjoyed.

Having travelled all over the world in various luxury 5 star hotels, there were however a couple of things missing in this hotel. Things I wouldn't like to leave unmentioned.
It started when we arrived by taxi when nobody came to help us with our suitcases. For a pregnant lady such as myself, this would have been helpful.

We booked three rooms, preferably situated on the same floor. We phoned the hotel three times before arriving, to see if they could help us with this request. They kept telling us it might be possible, but we just had to wait and see. Upon arrival we were told that we were on three different floors and that it wouldnt be possible to be on the same floor at all. I feel the hotel could have put a little more effort in a different arrangement of rooms. It's a small thing that makes a stay even more enjoyable .

Furthermore, I would expect complimentary water in the rooms and some tea- and coffee making facilities. I also missed the turn down service at Fenicia Prestige. It's definitely not a must, but always provides an extra touch when staying in a 5 star hotel.

What surprised us the most during our 10-day stay was the poolboy and the (absence of enforcement of) the no-reservation policy at the pool area. People who arrived later than 10 am had to lie on the grass. This would be acceptable when booking a 3 star hotel, but in a 5 star hotel this in unacceptable. In other words, there were not enough sunbeds, and the same for umbrellas. The hotel had a pool-guy who always arrived around 9.30, but never took the responsibility he should have. Basically he sat underneath an umbrella all day, watching his Iphone, taking naps. We failed to see how this gentleman adds value to the hotel. He should be watching more carefully, preventing people from reserving beds, helping around with moving sunbeds and carrying umbrellas.

Our room was absolutely wonderful and spacious. We did however encounter some defects in our room; a toilet not flushing (took a couple of days before this was fixed) and the front door not opening with our keycards, but these were very little things.

The areas for improvement mentioned above will not prevent us from re-visiting this hotel. We had a splendid time and highly recommend it to people looking for a more quiet trip to Ibiza.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & SPA. It´s really important for us to improve any issue in our services and for that, I assure to you that I take a good note about the details you comment.
Also, thank you for sharing your experience with others, to help them to choose destination for their´s holidays in the future.

We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon and offer an excellent service.

Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week with family, wish it could have been longer.

Fantastic hotel, which is truly five star, boasting great friendly staff, exceptional rooms, beautiful hotel decor throughout, lovely swimming pools for all ages. Tempting cocktails served at the piano lounge are wonderful. Breakfast is absolutely amazing, every taste catered for. Exceptionally clean establishment throughout!

Great hotel location minutes from beaches and sea front, with quality restaurants and shopping boutiques close by off the plaza.

Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel in this superb classy resort. All staff involved in the operation of this hotel must be congratulated for their efforts in making this hotel so good! The bench mark is set here, pretty hard to beat.
Will no doubt return soon! Hopefully have time to check out the rather cool looking spa next time when we visit!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank 2manyreveiwers
InsotelHotelGroup, Manager at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our property for your holidyas and for your feedback. We are really happy to learn that you enjoyed so much your stay and all our services.
Also, thank you for sharing your experience with other guests on Tripadvisor.com. It´s really useful for them and important for us to improve any issue if necessary.

We really hope to see you again soon at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & SPA.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one week at the beginning of July. The hotel was extremely clean and modern with spacious rooms. The pool area was one of our favourite parts of the hotel. Its so clean, quiet and provides a great service from the staff who are only to willing to bring you drinks. The food at this hotel was amazing and although we only booked bed and breakfast because we wanted to go out and try other restaurants, we kept going back to the hotel to eat because there food was so delicious. All in all we loved this hotel. I am sure you can get more luxurious 5 star hotels but this hotel was simple and what they do they do very well. The staff are so friendly yet professional, we will definitely be returning. The only downsides for us was the area. Although there are bars and restaurants within walking distance to the hotel, they were no where near as good as the hotel so if you have a car to go out and about then it helps or if your just looking for a relaxing few days at a lovely hotel then this would be perfect.

2 Thank josie m
InsotelHotelGroup, Manager at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Josie,

Thank you for your nice report about your stay at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & SPA. We are really happy about your great experience with us.
Thank you for sharing your oppinion with other guests on Tripadvisor.

We hope to see you again soon.

Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel is better than we ever could imaging. Everyting is so clean and tidy. The Staff is always friendly and serviceminded. Food is excellent breakfast and dinner. The poolarea has everything you need including poolguard !!
Its one of the best hotel we ever stayed at

2 Thank bjorntrossen
InsotelHotelGroup, Manager at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our property for your holidays. We are really happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and our services.
Also thank you for writing your report and for sharing your experience with others on this website. Your oppinion is very important for us to improve any issue, and for other guests to be able to choose their´s holidays place.

We hope to see you soon again in Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & SPA.

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Phonicia is a splendid resort hotel, one of the best I have stayed in. It has a good location by the river and close to the seafront and bars of Santa Eulalia. The Hotel building is attractive and a moderate size with excellent facilities. The rooms are very comformtable and a good size. I particularly like the second internal door, which makes the room very quiet. The pool area and gardens are delighttful.
The two best features are the staff who are very friendly and attentive and the food. We stayed for seven nights half board and found the main restaurant really good. there is lots of choice and a variety of cooked to order dishes at every meal. We had intended to visit both speciality restaurants but the food in the main was just too good. The restaurant wine list was splendid, we had some gorgeous regional spanish reds which were very reasonably priced.
A couple of small points which could be improved, the lobby bar lacks atmosphere. They have an occasional pianist who improved things but more variety would be better. As with most hotels the drinks prices are high and to succeed the bar needs to justify the price. This one really did not, for instance my wife had a glass of red, a nice wine but at 11 euro for no more than an inch of wine was too much. If we had drunk the whole bottle on this basis, it would have exceeded 200 euro. Final quibble, no British TV channels and there was no shortage of UK guests.
That apart this is a splendid hotel which I can thoroughly recommend. We will certainly stay again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fitzjames
Dear James,

Thank you very much for your report. We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay and our services at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & SPA.
Also, thank you for sharing your experience with other guests on Tripadvisor, becaus as we have seen, for many of them is really useful to choose their holidays place.

Regarding to the television, for your next stay, this days we are installing a big size antenna for the british signal, so I assure to you that for your next stay we will offer a good range of british channels. We are working on.

Once again, thank you for your oppinion and we hope to see you again soon.

Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just returned from staying at the Fenicia Prestige - stayed June 2014.

It was quite quiet at the time we went (mid june) however it was nice for relaxation. When we arrived,the hotel looks very impressive and the staff are very friendly however i was surprised no one took our bags (i wouldn't have expected had it not been 5 star) when we arrived.

I have stayed at 5 star resorts long haul and have to say sadly this one is let down slightly but the extortionate drinks prices and food add-ons. We upgraded to the half board package and rooftop with jacuzzi spa room, however the jacuzzi was so dirty i didn't want to use it. I was told you could call and ask for it to be cleaned although on arrival i would rather it just have been clean when we arrived. The rest of the room and hotel was spotless so i have only marked down 1 rating for this.

When paying for the extra half board add on, i arrived to find out that only 1 restaurant was included. The other two restaurants you have to pay an extra 20 euros per person to eat there. The drink prices are so high that we found we could eat out in the gorgeous santa eulalia along the waterfront with a full meal AND drinks, for cheaper than our drinks bill at the hotel with dinner. We did visit Monsoon during our trip, but it was completely empty except for us eating there - we were offered an orange cocktail on arrival there, which i thought would have been complimentary, only to find it on the bill almost 20 euros. So before we'd even started eating, we had clocked up an extra 60 euros nearly already).

I have stayed in other 5 star hotels, and maybe if i hadn't i probably wouldn't have knocked this one down, but i could have gone long haul for the price i paid for this holiday - and not had a bill at the end as they're generally all inclusive.

The rooftop terrace would have been worth it if it was all inclusive, as you have nothing to drink except for the overpriced mini bar.

The hotel is nicely located with a very short walk to the beach and marina. There are some lovely eateries along here so i'd save your money and go self catering if you stay here. The food is nice, but not quite 5 star, but the drinks costs make it a much more expensive holiday.

We also took a short taxi ride to Ibiza Town which was lovely - i think this cost us around 25 euros there (and 25 back) but was worth going for a good evening out.

We went with Thompson but there is no thompson rep at the hotel so if you need to book trips/have a problem you need to call them.

The entertainment is a bit weak, most people go out so there is not much of an atmosphere at the hotel. I did hear some entertainment here but it was very chilled.

The pool is beautiful! one of the nicest pools i've had a hotel - definitely 5 star. The staff around the pool are lovely and attentive too so if you need a drink etc you don't need to head to the bar. The sunbeds were nice and you can use their lovely large towels too whilst at the pool.

Room was comfy, air con was great.

We also visited the Spa which was really lovely! A nice treat to relax and priced just about right. It's worth taking a bag and towel etc as you can use the spa's private terrace and pool which is often empty so no fighting to get a sun bed.

Lovely place, more like a 4 star though. Would probably stay again but i wouldn't upgrade to the rooftop terrace (it was lovely but i preferred having access to the gorgeous pool), and i wouldn't have gone half board.

Room Tip: Save your money and avoid the rooftop - pool is lovely!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gemma V
InsotelHotelGroup, Manager at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Gemma,

Thank you for your report about your stay at Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & SPA. Is great to read that your stay was enjoyable.
I take a good note about the issues you remark to improve them and assure that your next stay will be much better. Your comments help us to work on.

Thank you for choosing our property for your holidays and we hope to see you again soon in Hotel Fenicia Prestige.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Eulalia del Rio
Sol Beach House Ibiza
Sol Beach House Ibiza
#14 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,562 reviews

Been to Insotel Fenicia Prestige Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!