“Huge rooms quiet and clean hotel.”
Review of Hotel San Miguel

Hotel San Miguel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Mahon
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We needed a place to sleep and shower but it was more than what we expected. Rooms were huge and quiet, easily accessible and the espresso in the morning was good too.
The guy at the front desk is not friendly but efficient and whatever we needed he would get it for us so no complaints there!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank larnskeet

Reviewed 28 March 2014

You could easily walk past the modest entrance to this hotel tucked down a narrow side street but that would be your loss. Inside the hotel is beautifully decorated with great attention to detail and the rooms are comfortable, well equipped and spotlessly clean. We had been booked in here for the first two nights of our walking trip and again a week later for the last and we found ourselves, having stayed in a variety of other accommodations in between, really looking forward to returning to the San Miguel. Joanna and Vladimir are a great management team, fun, friendly, efficient and really helpful, even though we communicated in a mixture of pidgin Spanish (us) and English (them). The breakfast is beautifully presented and Joanna's home-made tortilla and cakes the best we encountered on the island. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms, the first had a shower bathroom, the second a jacuzzi bath, but both wer...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Linda B
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hotel is perfect for a romantic weekend break. The decor is lovely - feels like a modern boutique hotel - very nicely done. Rooms are light and airy and the bathroom is fab with massage shower and jacuzzi bath.Spotlessly clean. Town centre and harbour are less than five minutes walk away. Continental breakfast was fine. Staff were friendly but spoke little English (about same as my Spanish) but sorted us out with a town map and ordered us a taxi to airport. General tip - the town almost becomes a ghost town between 2pm and 6pm - more so than I've noticed in other places.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Did0sak
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My review/account is quite lengthy so I'll try to summarise at the bottom.

I arrived at the hotel, which had been arranged by my insurance company, at approximately 19.00 with a 3 year old child who had just been discharged from hospital after having received treatment for pneumonia for a number of days, for which the two of us had stayed together in hospital.
The clerk confirmed our booking. I asked what time breakfast would be served, explaining that my child had just been discharged from hospital and that we would need to leave for the airport (finally) in the morning. She told me that breakfast was served from 8 am. I asked whether we might be able to get an early breakfast at approximately 07.15. She told me that it was "a bit early". I again reiterated the situation and pleaded for something for my child in the morning, even a cheese sandwich. She begrudgingly agreed to this and we checked our bags and asked where we could get some food. She gave me directions to a cafe, explaining that the markets were closed, so I carried my child on my shoulders.
We arrived at a square as described and found the cafe she had suggested to be closed, The only premises open amounted to a pub, which I was not happy to take my child to. I walked back to the hotel and again spoke to the clerk (who incidentally was giving information regarding different bars in the area in a very helpful sounding manner to a visitor). I again asked where one might get food from as the cafe she had recommended was closed. She informed me that there might be another bar open or maybe a bit further at the port area. I explained that I had already walked quite a distance with a child on my shoulders who had just been discharged from hospital. I explained that my daughter was also complaining that she had been cold outside (although I had wrapped her up well). I asked since breakfast would be served in the morning and there was clearly food there, might I be able to buy something simple from her in these exceptional circumstances. She very firmly told me that the kitchen was closed. I asked if I might be able to get some water so she sold me a bottle for 2 euros. When I got back to the room, I realised that there was only one glass in the room so I traipsed back downstairs to ask for a glass for the water which I suggested was quite expensive in the first place (no complimentary water/tea/coffee in the room). This angered her so much that we had an exchange in which she told me that it was not her issue that my daughter had been released from hospital (I'm not sure whether she really meant "issue" or "fault" or "problem" but as a foreigner who could not speak Spanish in Spain, I did not feel that I was in the position to take umbridge at this comment). She stated that as it was holiday season, a lot of places were closed (a comment I still don't understand). Finally, she suggested that if I didn't like it I could leave. I told her that I was a foreigner in her country with a sick child and that, after a very long week and an early flight, I had no real choice as to where I should stay. At that, I left back to my room. Luckily I was able to find a piece of cake in my bag which I gave to my daughter so that she did not go hungry.

The next morning, I went to reception to check-out. I communicated with a gentleman who did not speak English (I realise that this is not a fault of the hotel, his English was at the level of my Spanish). He was very helpful and gave me cakes and a banana for my daughter and offered me a coffee although I could not accept his kind offer as my taxi had just arrived.

The room was lovely as was the bathroom. The night clerk was also very helpful. However, the other person whom I encountered working there was the least helpful person I have ever met in "hospitality".She took no account that my three year old daughter had just been discharged from hospital, even insulting me and suggesting that I leave. Unfortunately, this was the overriding impression I was left with and, as such, I feel my rating of the hotel, as the employer of this clerk, is justified.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Craig R
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

The staff are very friendly and helpful, they speak English also. Rooms are very clean and nice as with are the bathrooms. Hotel is situated perfectly close to everything. Beer at the bar are 2 euros a piece.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank joichr
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I just returned from 4 days in Menorca (I eas there for a wedding) and stayed at this lovely little hotel. The location is excellent, in a quiet street virtually in the centre of Mahon. For a 3 star hotel, the rooms were modern, well appointed and spotlessly clean. The beds were so comfortable, I had the best sleep I've had for ages and the room so quiet. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, nothing was too much bother. I highly recommend this hotel, I'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank GordonBarcelona
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Such a perfect location and beautifully done facilties. Rooms were generous and bathrooms lovely ( jetted tub even!). Staff were so friendly and helpful- obviously taking great pride in their hotel... as they should. Breakfast was just right - pastries, cheeses and meats, fresh juice and cafffe... well done all around. We woud highly recommend this hotel. And the value was great-

Room Tip: We had 206 - windows to the open courtyard below - which for us was great- Quiet!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dooleysSeattle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahon
Catalonia Mirador d'es Port
Apartamentos Royal Life
Club Hotel Aguamarina
Club Hotel Aguamarina
#3 of 6 in Arenal d'en Castell

Been to Hotel San Miguel? Share your experiences!