“Overpaying for location”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Comillas
Dublin, Ireland
“Overpaying for location”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This hotel is really well located on the beach at Comillas.
Our room was in the basement of the hotel, at the end of a very dark hallway. While there was beautiful views of the sea there was no getting away from the damp smell in the room. The arm-chairs in the room were stained, and the wifi only worked in the hallway and not in the room itself. We knew there was no point in complaining as we had booked the last available room online.
Breakfast was good, as was lunch in the hotel.The restaurant appeared popular with tourists and locals alike which I consider a good sign.
In my opinion this hotel is over-priced relative to the quality of accommodation. Would sacrifice location in favour of a nicer hotel next time.

Room Tip: Avoid lower basement/end of hallway bedrooms if you still plan on staying here.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

From the weather to the smell of spaghetti with spanish flavours bursting out of it, everything was amazing. Hotel Comillas was divine everything was clean and well organised! The staff were very friendly and easy to communitcate with! The atmosphere was great and very enjoyable! I dont normally enjoy sleeping on any other matress but mine , but i had no problems what so ever the room space was perfect and so was the bathroom ! I always ate my breakfast from the hotel and evern the food was spectacular and well presented ! the hotel was placed in the perfect destination as it was walking distance to the local town. I would walk everyday through them beige gulleys and see in the distance colourful senoritas dancing and entertianing the public ! You had everything you wanted close by there were fruit shops , clothing stores , food stores and many more others... The beach was also close by to which was really ideal as you wouldnt want to travel to far ... the beach was clean and friendly it was amazing to take a was in the evenings before the sun went down ... I also visited the mueseum that had an amazing art gallery there ! all in all my experience was wonderful and i would insist anybody should vist there especially if your a big fan of spain and its culture .

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Anisa M
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed in this hotel for Easter and we had an amazing time over there, the staff was really nice and helpful. The hotel has an classic and elegant style full of cute and classy details which make the difference with other hotels we've been in the past in this area. The location was perfect just in front of an old university and the beautiful Marquis palace.for sure we will come back

Room Tip: Our double room was a beautiful detailed and quiet room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patriciaesc
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We happened to drive into town when there was a festival going on and all, I mean all, the rooms were booked up. We walked in here and got their last room, which reception described as "tiny" and it was. I suspect it was in fact a sigle room, but we stayed two people in it. We had a bit of difficulty putting our bags anywhere they would not be in the way (did not work). However, it was nice to have a room at last and we did not worry. Oddly, the bathroom was almost as large as the room itself and beautifully decorated, seemed new. Breakfast was included as I recall and quite ok, they made eggs for you hot from the kitchen. Too bad the breakfast room was in the basement, very boring area. There was a restaurant open if you pre-booked, but we did not use it so don't know if this area was nicer. Seemed they could have done more with the facilities as the ground were indeed very nice. It was also free to leave your car in the parking lot, much needed as the town was flooded with festival goers
Comillas actually has lots of sights and is an interesting little town, we much enjoyed it and the sourroundings as well.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I agree with the previous reviewer, the impressive front of the hotel belies the fact that the rooms are out the back, dark and have views of the adjacent hedge! Hardly four-star.
However, the rooms are nicely done in an old-fashioned sort of way.
There was a bit of noise in the morning from the corridor and adjacent rooms, but not too bad, and the hotel is an easy and pleasant walk to the old town.
Easy parking is a big plus point, and the breakfast was pretty good too.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnnyinhiscar
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed middle of march one night in this hotel on around trip.
main attraction was the impressive building and it's 4* rating. We learned that the hotel itself is only on the ground floor and the upper floors of the building are private apartments. the rooms are cosy and small, views non existing, all in all this was nowhere close to what I would understand as 4*, reception staff very friendly and spoke good English.
Location is very convenient for walking downtown through the park, we found the nearby bar Mombasa highly for food and drinks.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Comillas, as it is called here in Spain, for 2 nights in mid October while I attended a meeting sponsored by an educational foundation housed in Comillas, in a restored palace (Palacio Sobrellano) just above this hotel. The Foundation Comillas, which invited us all to attend the event, suggested our lodging in this hotel. It was wonderful suggestion! (Our meeting was actually held in the Sobrellano palace that now belongs to the government-run foundation, see photo #7.) I cannot say anything negative about the location of this hotel. Though the slow pace of life in this pueblo of less than 5000 (as I have been told) may not keep the attention of those who would likely prefer to visit during the high season when the summer tourists are there and this little town loses it pre-Renaissance charm as it folds under the revelry and weight of its 21st-century guests, Comillas is a lovely and beautiful historic city that can be enjoyed in all seasons, though differently in each. I was there before the leaves changed, but just as the warm, sunny days turned quickly into chilly nights and was immediately enchanted. It wasn't just the 15th century town square; or the cobblestone streets in the plazas; or the friendly townsfolk; or the excellent food served at any restaurant, bar, or tavern. It wasn't just the view of sea and the mountains so perfectly aligned on the horizon or the palaces and their history. It was all of these things! The hotel's lobby felt a lot like an old chalet, the stone and wood floors and construction, the ivy-scaled courtyard, the old photos on the walls--everything about the lobby gave the impression of warmth. The front-desk staff greeted us with a smile and patiently gave us directions on how to get about town to find something to eat and where we would be able to find all the tourist attractions. The rooms were small, in my opinion, but none of our rooms were exactly the same; some had more furniture than others and that could account of my perception of the lack of space. My room not only had what appeared to me to be an American full-sized bed (as opposed to the cama matrimonial that is most common in Spain), but it also had a futon-like sofa just 8-10 inches from the foot of the bed, leaving very little walking space considering that there was still a desk, and a chair to occupy space in that same area. I didn't actually use the closet, but it was spacious and well stocked with extra blankets and pillows and the bathroom, although a bit small, was absolutely immaculate and provided all of the modern conveniences that one finds in hotels today: a healthy supply of towels, shampoos, soaps, a hair dryer and magnifying make-up mirror. The bathroom was so clean it quite literally shined, as if it were brand-new. This is significant because it contrasts so very much with the rest of the room. The bed was not attractive. The headboard was of a very aged wooden veneer and the night stand was the smallest I have ever seen! I quite literally had no space for my magazine and ended up sleeping with it in the bed next to me. The mattress was one of the most uncomfortable ones I have experienced in a hotel I likened it to a very firm bean bag. I have a new mattress in my apartment in Madrid, so I know that this construct is not common for mattresses today; for that reason, I conclude the mattress is quite old. The sheets were white and pristine. I even checked for bed bugs and other vermin. There were none. There was, however, a dead spider that someone had smashed high on the wall that remained there for my entire visit (3 days), which led me to doubt the effectiveness of the cleaning staff. The bedspread was either quite dirty or ready to be retired; either way, it made the spartan room look ever sadder. Despite this very grim description of the room, I must say the room smelled fresh, as if it had been thoroughly cleaned. It smelled of clean laundry and window cleaner. My window gave a view of the inner courtyard, which was nothing spectacular. In fact, I wished to be in a room with a view on the outside of the building to take advantage of the precious sights of the Picos de Europa (Peaks of Europe) and/or other white buildings with their red roofs in Cantabria. My room, because it was on the inside, was darker than others, but since I spent only the sleeping hours in the room, it really didn't matter. Other than the spider entrails on the upper part of the wall and the questionable reasons for the discoloring of the bedspread, my stay at the Hotel Comillas was very pleasant and in my opinion, the cost of the stay was definitely in line with the quality of the accommodations (low-to-mid-range-price=low-to-mid-range-quality hotel).

Positives: The staff cannot be beat! Always friendly and welcoming and warm and patient no matter who was at the desk. Free WiFi. Excellent breakfast buffet (they tell me, I slept through breakfast).
Negatives: Not the highest standards in cleanliness. Old, outdated furniture and decor. Rooms are a bit dark.

Comillas is a wonderful place to be just to unwind, to participate in local culture, to experience and visit historic landmarks. The history of the people who have lived in that town and the architecture of the monuments are the best part of being in Comillas, outside the oh so precious views and the warmth of the local people. Go there for all of those reasons and more, but just sleep in the Hotel Comillas. Just make certain you're up in time for breakfast!

Room Tip: Caution: Guests with ambulatory challenges should request a room on the corridor closest to the fron...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Travelsindiinero
Also consider these accommodations in or near Comillas
abba Comillas Golf Hotel
#2 of 10 in San Vicente de la Barquera
Hotel Cuevas I-II
Hotel Cuevas I-II
#8 of 27 in Santillana del Mar

Been to Comillas Hotel? Share your experiences!