“Ok hotel, better with a car, not so good restaurant”
Review of Castell de Mata

Castell de Mata
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Mataro
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The rooms are fine and clean, but I hate when double bed is actually a twin put together, and one ends up falling in between the beds because they are in no way fixed to each other, which was the case. Otherwise, no complains. Room service is very nice and efficient. As mentioned in the other review, wifi in the rooms doesn't always work. We could also only connect from public areas only to one particular (out of 3 available) wifi network. We asked the staff about this, and they couldn't really help. We had a room 403 with the view to the pool, but we barely looked to the window anyway.

Restaurant was a disappointment. We once wanted to have a dinner at the hotel, and when we came to the restaurant we were the only ones, and looked like its actually closed (it was not), so we decided to just go downstairs and stay at the bar and have some snack. We ordered some tapas, and the food was fine, but for example the mayo was brought to us in a plastic bottle which was almost empty, so it was hard to get anything out of it, and then the waiter just took it away from us in the middle of our meal and put it to the other table...... We called him back and said that we still would like to have it and we did get another bottle, which was also nearly empty. We asked for some lemon, and we got a really small piece (HALF of the wedge). Breakfast was just fine, but indeed - I would expect more for such a hotel. On a good side, the waiter at the breakfast was nice and helpful.

But I guess the weakest point of the hotel is a location: If you do not have a car - be ready to pay for the taxi about 20 euro return (to the train station and back). The walk from the hotel to the beach goes through really disgusting tunnel (see pictures), and you come directly to the stony beach, which is a bit difficult for swimming because of all the stones. If you go right from there, just after about 20 meters starts a naturalist beach with sand (and btw, very clean water), which then lasts for about another 500 meters, and then you come to the public beach in a traditional sense with bars and lifeguards. Btw, the bar, which is the very first one if you come from the hotel is very nice and food was good there. So to get from th hotel to Mataro by foot you will need about 30 - 40 minutes of not very comfortable walk along the train tracks. To get to Barcelona, you need 40 minutes train (so plan about 1,5 hours to get to wherever you wanna go in Barcelona). The taxi from Barcelona Plaza Catalunya to Mataro is about 65 euro, from hotel to the airport - about 80 euro.

So after all, I guess you get what you pay for. If you want to save some money and/or have a car and/or do not plan to go to Barcelona very often, I think this hotel worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tatsiana_by

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed 7 nights at this hotel, and chose it specifically because we wanted to be within close driving distance of Barcelona without being in the city. The hotel itself is about a kilometre outside of Mataro. The hotel reception is welcoming and the staff did their utmost to make us feel welcome. We had a room on the garden side as it is quieter than on the side facing the road, the railway and the sea. Our room was clean and comfortable, and we had a private balcony. The hotel didn't ever seem crowded and we weren't bothered by noise from other guests. We felt that the hotel was excellent value for the money. Parking is included, which is a bonus.

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel on a rainy day. The hotel is a nice old fashioned style rooms are big and clean, terrace with a sea view (beautiful especially on a rain day), Parking is free at the back yard, The pool is nice, Breakfast was o.k. and wifi connection works on public area's. There are 3 free networks in the hotel but I could connect only to this in the public area. Service is good and warm. The beach is not far (just beyond the main road).
The hotel located 5 min driving from the city center.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I have spent my honeymoon at Castel de Mata.
We deeply enjoyed our time there. Very nice stuff, the rooms were very nice and tidy, free facilities (internet, parking, pool), yummy breakfast (lots of choices), nice restaurant, sea view, lovely music. It really worth the money
The only inconvenient is that it is 10 minutes walk from the beach, out of the town (if you don’t have a car, as we did, it is not very fun coming in the evening, directly on the motorway, without any side-walk). Still, there’s a walking path connecting it to the town, next to the sea and railways, but I don’t think there’s any electricity light on it in the evening.
But all in all, it is a hotel I would definitely recommend and if we ever decide visiting again Barcelona I would choose it again. :) It

Room Tip: 'sea view'
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Our hotel cancelled on us at the last moment so staying in Castell was a very last min decision. We wanted to go to Barcelona for a quiet beach holiday. To get a tan and to relax away from England for the week. The hotel its self is fantastic. The desk staff are fab, very good at english and very willing to help with travel tips around Barce, calling taxis and general support you need when abroad. We arrived at mid day and were given a clean and tidy room, the hotel has no double beds but two large singles pushed together is there equiv. If you get a room at the back of the hotel with a pool view( and car park view included) simpily ask at reception for a sea view and you will get one. The sea views are fantastic. Breakfast is cold meat and crossants, not worth the 6.5 euro in my eyes but toast is avalible too upon request. We only tried lunch once and it was terrible, 15 euro for 3 courses and a glass of wine, very rude resterant owner smashing plates around and screaming at other staff when we requested a table 45mins before lunch closes. Very scary man! There are some great resterants in Mataro but to get anywhere out of the hotel you will need to get a taxi unless you want a very sticky and hot walk along a very busy duel carridge way, this walk will take you at least 50 mins and it is very dangerous. A taxi costs about 8 euro to Mataro village center and about 10-12 euro back. Use the taxi rank opoisit Mataro station they are cheap and all know where Castell is. Pool is fab huge with a small jacuzzi style pool on the side, outdoor showers and changing rooms too. If you do stay at Castell do not miss out on getting on the renfe train to Barcelona and also to callella which is a fantastic shopping village about 40 mins away from Mataro - Mataro to Barcelona will cost you roughly 7 euro return and from Mataro to Callella will cost you roughly 4.50 euro. Get on any train towards L'Hospitalet in order to go to Barcelona and any train that goes to Blaines in order to go to Callella. Its pretty hard to get lost on the trains. Very good smart hotel as long as you have plenty of euro to spend on getting to anywhere from the hotel - we visited Mataro every day for a week and spend 140euro between us just on the taxi fare.

Room Tip: If your not happy with the pool view request a sea view and they will be happy to help.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Zoe K
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I arrived to this hotel after reading many opinions - I knew I should not expect miracles, but I still expected something correct. From the positive sides - nice terrain near hotel, lovely pool, good dinner (I had half board). To the beach you have to go through small and low tunnel, definitely not pleasant experience. Beach itself is stony and rough, not nice to lay on.
The air conditioning is noisy and blows directly on the bed, which is not pleasant. Furniture oldish and worn out. The decoration of the hotel is made mostly of antics - religious figures and pictures, so the atmosphere is a bit weird.

Poor breakfast - not much of a choice, no real coffee. But the thing that made me hate this hotel (I left after one night even though I should have stayed 3) is that in my room there was a colony of the bedbugs. They had a real feast on me during the one night I stayed there. The problem is I am allergic. I have over 50 bites all over the body, all red and swallen, and of course my holidays are completely ruined. After taking off the mattress I saw whole nest of moving insects. Yuk!!!!
To be honest after I complained I got another room, but after finding another dead bedbug in the new room I decided to leave immediately. They even offered me a suite, but I didn't accept.
Never again!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Marguerite-Anne
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel during a weekend in Barcelona.

I didn't realise it was so far out so the location on my part could have been better! Location of the hotel itself, it is very far out and a long long walk down a dual carriageway to the train station!
The town of Mataro is very spanish and we didn't come across any english people at all. The people seem nice enough although there isn't really anything to do so we went into Barcelona and spent the day there every day!

The hotel itself again is very spanish, no english people and the food is also very spanish, no english food on the menu.
You could not fault the cleanliness of the hotel and it's decor was lovely. The hotel is opposite the sea so we had lovely sea views on our balcony.

I wouldn't stay here again only becase it is so far out but it was a lovely hotel, just not for us.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank xSunSeaSandx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mataro
Hotel Atenea Port Barcelona Mataro
Hotel Mas de Baix
Hotel Mas de Baix
#1 of 2 in Cabrils
Hostal Isla Cristina Mataro

Been to Castell de Mata? Share your experiences!