“Very Expensive”

and 1 more site!
The Staff of Life
Ranked #1 of 2 Ticknall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Lovely pub with a very expensive drinks tariff. Add that to a rude and obnoxious landlady and food which was ok but the price of a 5 star restaurant you have a place that is better to avoid. Much better eating house down the road and a better drinking pub just up the road.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Peter H

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I stayed at this wonderfull bed and breakfast with friends whilst attending a wedding at the local Calke Abbey. Nothing was too much trouble for the lovely owner Kaye. Right from the moment we checked in till when we left Kaye and the other staff were friendly and went the extra mile to ensure we enjoyed our stay. The room was very spacious , very clean and very comfortable. Kaye ensured we had local taxis arranged to take us and return us back to the b&b for our wedding and even stayed later to wish us goodnight when we returned later than expected even though we had our own key. I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Don't be put off by the petty negative reviews on tripadvisor. We found it to be a very nice place to spend a couple of hours. Staff, although extremely busy were friendly and happy to serve, cleanliness was above reproach & good value, tasty food with a good selection of drinks.
So much nicer than one of those horrid brewery chain eating houses where all the food is brought in pre-prepared, frozen then microwaved or deep fried!
The Staff of Life has it's own live-in chef & is well worth a visit. Go with an open mind I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. An old countryside pub as it should be.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This really is a a top class establishment, with a family feel to it. I stayed in Ticknall for a couple of days to watch a local football tournament and could not have been luckier with the reception I was given at The Staff of life. They helped me with taxi bookings, cooked a great breakfast (even though I am trying to keep to my diet) and the room was great value for money as it was spacious, clean and fully equipped. I really must recommend this pub to anyone who visits - I certainly will be comb back. Thanks to Kay, Megan and the team!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed two nights and had a wonderful time the breakfast was very tasty and one evening we had supper here, steak and ale pie it was delicious .
A wonderful place to stay
Keith and Donna Brown
Newfoundland , Canada

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stopped here June 29th in the same room as Christina B.

I would not go so far as to say that the place was dreadful.

The problem with the cold tap and the water was the same as for Christina however the landlady did tell us about it when we arrived and was unable to offer us another room as she said she didn't have one. We were offered bottled water as well. The shower was a little unpredictable and seemed to alternate between scalding and cool. However, the room was spotless and very comfortable.

The landlady and staff were friendly and polite, almost overly effusive at breakfast but equally I was very tired and not talkative at that point - judging by the previous reviews either we were there on a good day or they have taken note of the comments written.

We did not eat in the pub in the evening as we went elsewhere to a prearranged barbecue but we thought the menu looked good and seemed reasonably priced. We did have breakfast the next morning which was okay.

We would stop here again and try the evening menu if we were down near Ticknall again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed at the Staff of Life overnight on June 27th 2013. The cold tap in our washbasin only produced a very fine trickle of water and during the night it stopped working altogether. We had to clean our teeth in bottled water, and because the hot top was scalding hot, we also had to wash our hands in bottled water. At breakfast we asked the landlady if there were problems with the water pressure. She said 'No ', paused and then said 'Oh yes, the cold tap, the lady who stayed in that room last mentioned it was running slowly but we haven't got round to fixing it yet'. My partner said 'Well, it's stopped working completely now' and she said, quite cheerfully and without a hint of apology 'Oh, it's just the washer, my husband will get round to fixing it'. I was amazed at her attitude. After all, fixing it after we left was no use to us. They had put us in that room knowing there was a problem with the cold water tap. As we left I made it plain how angry I was and said it was not very impressive. At that point she did actually apologise. To be honest, even without this incident, we would not recommend staying at this place. Our room was stuffy and had a strong, cloying smell of air freshener. We kept the window open all night and the noise from the road was quite noticeable. The shower also had barely adequate water pressure. Even boosted with a noisy electric pump it was only about half the strength of a normal tap. We ate both dinner and breakfast there and thought the food was mediocre although I realise this is a matter of personal taste.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to The Staff of Life? Share your experiences!