“Perfect break”
other travellers have booked this property
Wye gate Cottage Very comfortable living room
Wye gate Cottage
Very comfortable living room
Sitting room detail
Sitting room detail
Comfortable and cosy second bedroom
Large master bedroom
Master bedroom dressing table
Well equipped kitchen
Dining room
Dining room detail
Smart bathroom with bath and shower
Courtyard
Walk to Biblins Bridge
Biblins Bridge
Hand ferry to Saracen's Head
Hand ferry to Saracen's Head
A view of the river looking down stream
View of the mews from Symonds Yat East
View towards Ross on Wye from Yat Rock
Wye Gate Cottage showing parking
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Perfect break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014
person found this review helpful

We had a truly relaxing break at the cottage for my 30th birthday. We found the cottage easy to find and it has its own parking space so unloading is really convenient. We had everything we needed in the cottage and found it very peaceful and comfortable. The biggest attraction for us was the location; we loved that we were able to walk everywhere and spent the whole time in the immediate area - we didn't actually use the ferry but did the walk around via the bridge and the scenery is so peaceful and beautiful with really nice pubs with great food nearby, and thankfully enjoyed great weather. We'd fully recommend it to anyone wanting a relaxing break in a beautiful area away from cars and phone signal!

24 Jun 2014
Thank you for your kind review....and Happy Birthday! What a lovely way to spend your special day! I am really pleased that our directions were good and that the surroundings and the cottage were just as you had expected and wanted.
It really is a beautiful place and we try very hard to make it a complete and comfortable escape for our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back again!
With very best wishes
Marian H
Skipton, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014
person found this review helpful

This cottage was in a wonderful location within a stone's throw of the banks of the River Wye. there is a pub within 10 minutes walking distance and a pub and hotel across the river which can be reached via a hand pulled ferry- that's novel! The surrounding area is breath-taking in its beauty and is a perfect base for walking and visiting abbeys and castles. The cottage is very average with regard to layout and would really suit two or three people rather than four adults. The fourth bed is a pull out palette in the smaller bedroom. The layout of the furniture in the lounge is not conducive to four people sitting in and watching TV as two of the chairs are on either side of the TV. After visiting another cottage in that row I would say that more could be done to make the cottage more comfortable for four adults. A double bed or two twin beds in the second bedroom would help. We will be visiting the area again but would rather book something a little more luxurious

Travelling group: Friends
24 Jan 2016
The original review by the guest that booked the stay was 4star. The guest made the original booking for two people and the cottage was set up accordingly. We work to accommodate guest specific requirements, up to five guests and any changes to party size before the stay but rely on the information given at the time.

Thank you.
Stephanie...
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014
person found this review helpful

This is a lovely cottage in the most amazing location. Just stepping out of the front door you have the most stunning view. Cottage was very nice and homely. The only disappointment was the single bed that my husband had to sleep on was one that pulled out from underneath the other one, so he was basically sleeping on the floor on a mattress. I think it would be more suitable for children than older people. Two single beds would be better.( I didnt mind too much as I had the bed !!).

5 of 5 bubbles How easy was it to book the property? 3 of 5 bubbles How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 bubbles How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 4 of 5 bubbles Overall condition of the property
3 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
4 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Problem with bathroom door lock !
Travelling group: Friends
Families with young children
26 May 2014
Thank you for your kind review. In order to accommodate all guest types, the pull out bed on sprung base does offer flexibility and especially for children offers more space during the day.
There is a Zbed (stored in the other bedroom) which can be moved and used as an alternative 'higher level' bed if preferred.
The location is amazing and I am thrilled that you loved that as much as we do!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Wye Gate in the future!
CurlyGirl...
Bicester, United Kingdom
“Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014

We have just returned from 5 days of bliss at this beautiful place. My other half had asked for a peaceful getaway, just the two of us, and this trip was his Christmas present. He couldn't have been happier; we couldn't have been happier. Ease of booking and great communications with the owners Laura and Raf got us off to a great start. Directions were great and spot on and we arrived to a warm, beautifully furnished cottage, bathed in early Spring sunshine. We awoke daily to the sounds of singing birds and the river Wye which is just below. At night we were serenaded by a very cheery Tawny Owl. With the river and the whole Symonds Yat gorge literally on the doorstep, this place gave us exactly what we wanted and so much more and we can't recommend it highly enough.

5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: Beautiful cottage, stunning location
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
20 Mar 2014
Dear Sally
I am absolutely thrilled that Wye Gate Cottage delivered exactly what you were both looking for. Your description of the part nature plays in the sounds and sights of the gorge is spot on!
I am sure you will be back and we look forward to welcoming you.
Thank you once again for taking the time to review.
Laura and Raf
NSE87
Marlow, England, United Kingdom
“Idyllic rural getaway with unrivalled views...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 for a stay in October 2013

I made a last minute booking for an unplanned 3 night break when I was in desperate need of relaxation and beautiful scenery. The owners were extremely accommodating and managed to squeeze me in-between two other bookings.
The cottage itself was extremely cosy, and very clean on arrival. It was very well stocked and in fact I took many things, which were already supplied. An example of this would be a hair dryer!
I only slept in the master bed, but must comment that this was extremely comfortable. Possibly more comfortable than any hotel bed I have slept in.
I didn't have much call to use them but it was good to know that there was wifi and satellite television.
What were of most benefit to me were the incredible walks, which start from the foot of the driveway. As I had stopped off at Waitrose (10mins away) before my arrival, I had no need for my car until I came home! The walks are astonishing, through the woodland either side of the river. It really does look like it does on the website, only better! They were also of great benefit to my gallery; I am a photographer with a small gallery and Symonds Yat provided me with a great deal of inspiration and subject matter!
It was also a bonus for me that it felt like a manageable distance from London, yet still far enough to feel like a proper 'break'.
I shall be going back in 2014 without doubt. Friends of mine have since been and similarly waxed lyrical.
If I were asked to find a negative, the only thing I could possibly think of is the lack of open fire. This made no difference to me and the coal/wood-effect electric fire made the living room even more cosy. The house is so warm I think a log fire would actually be too much heat!

5 of 5 bubbles How easy was it to book the property? 4 of 5 bubbles How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Cosiness and locale
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
6 Feb 2014
Thank you Neil for your lovely and very detailed review. We too, enjoy the scenery so much at Le Yat, such a beautiful part of the world. We are always happy to take last minute bookings and will always do our best to accommodate our clients old and new!
And you are right, the best part is that it is so close to major cities and yet feels like a world away.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Wye Gate Cottage in the near future. Good luck with your next exhibition at the gallery.
With very best wishes, Laura and Raf
BuzzardFl...
North Warwickshire, England
“Excellent location for a peaceful break, with good pubs nearby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 for a stay in November 2013
person found this review helpful

Wye Gate was very comfortable for the two of us, with everything we needed for a self-catering break (although we couldn't find a potato masher!). However, with two lovely pubs nearby, it's tempting to eat out most of the time if budget permits.

We stayed for four nights in mid-November and it's worth noting that the Old Ferrie Inn (which is on the same side of the river) is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays out of season. Unfortunately at the same the hand-pulled ferry wasn't running over to the Saracens Head so we were forced to drive round, which took over ten minutes.

The Ferrie and the Saracens were both lovely pubs, in different ways, and both had good food, although I would say the Saracens had the edge. We also visited the Wye Knot but found it lacking in character.

All-in-all, a well-equipped, comfortable (modern) cottage with great walks from the doorstep and two very good pubs within walking distance (ferry permitting).

6 Feb 2014
Thank you for your kind review...if the only thing missing was a potato masher, we are not doing too badly! Suffice to say, the said 'masher' is now installed!
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Wye Gate Cottage.
With best wishes, Laura
Emma K
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a relaxing break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

We were really lucky with the weather, but I didn't realise quite how beautiful and tranquil the Wye Valley was before we stayed here. Wye Gate Cottage is in a great location, just a few minutes down the lane is the ferry across to the brilliant Saracen's Head, who even let us drive the ferry ourselves on our last evening! The cottage is comfortable and cosy, with everything we needed and we especially enjoyed the books and games. Highly recommended as an escape from the big city!

4 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The amazing location
Liked least: The car parking in front of the cottages - shame the cars weren't tucked behind somewhere!
Travelling group: Young Children
Families with young children
21 Sep 2013
Thank you for your lovely and very entertaining review....I believe you are our first guest to have 'driven' the hand pulled ferry!! I am glad that you enjoyed the games etc and the tranquility of the setting, most certainly different to the city. I look forward to welcoming you again.
Laura
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$75
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing