This is a real GEM of a hotel and a FABULOUS small-wedding venue.
We could not have asked for better service. Helen Minnie and her amazing team welcomed us all with sincerity from the start. The staff have a real knack of learning names and relationships at such a rate that within an hour of arrival we ALL felt like personal friends. Every single request was fulfilled at speed and with genuine concern for the individual's needs. A drink. a seat for the elderly, a parasol for the hot sun during the wedding. A sensitive word of encouragement for those who felt overwhelmed by the occasion... and repeated appearances by the most helpful and kindly staff with mops and buckets as drinks inevitably tumbled from hands and tables. The entire staff were on task full-time providing the utmost care for each individual and I simply cannot recommend Helen Minnie's service AND that of her team, more highly. 5 star service!
Then there was the food....absolutely wonderful! Freshly cooked to mouth-watering perfection and locally sourced so it was as fresh as can be. I'm just sorry we didn't meet the chefs personally to thank them.
The hotel itself is more 3 star than 4 star and displayed a few quirks which caught us out occasionally...taps and door keys that turn on/off the wrong way, the £100 on the credit card and a lack of facility to cool rooms. But I'm sure that if this hotel can fill its rooms regularly with customers they will be able to upgrade very soon. I will be recommending the hotel to anyone I meet....for a trip away or a wedding venue. My husband and I will definitely return for a romantic weekend for two as I'm sure Luke and Louise will too.
Lastly can I point out to anyone considering a stay in the area that the Royal Lodge Hotel is the perfect spot to stay for sight-seeing, canoeing, walking, climbing and just chilling! It's ON the river and at the bottom of the Yat and with parking, gardens, lawns and amazing views.
Thank-you Royal Lodge and Helen Minnie and her team.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Lodge at Symonds Yat East has an idyllic setting in the heart of the Wye Valley in an area of outstanding natural beauty where the River Wye cuts a swathe through a wooded gorge on the edge of the spectacular Royal Forest of Dean.The Lodge is nestled just below Symonds Yat Rock and stands exclusively in grounds of almost 5 acres overlooking the river. It has terraced gardens of magnolia trees and a well established wisteria. The Royal was originally built in 1876 as a Royal hunting lodge and was converted to a hotel in the 1920's. It has had a full and extensive refurbishment in 2008 and is managed by Graham Howells who has overseen the transformation and ensures that the level of service reflects the new development and idyllic location. The Royal Lodge is a great place to unwind with long relaxing walks in outstanding scenery. The hotel is also well situated to explore the Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and the South Wales coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- The Royal Lodge Symonds Yat, Herefordshire