This hotel benefits from an amazing location, with gorgeous views over the river and the forest: a tranquil and relaxing place to wind down. So close to lovely pubs like the Saracen's Head, and well located for all types of outdoors activities, that staff are more than happy to organise for you.
The room itself was cozy and the weather was mild enough for us to sleep with the window open. Being lulled to sleep by the sound of the river was lovely. The bathroom was fairly basic, but clean.
The main areas in the hotel are definitely in need of some updating, which they appear to be doing at the moment. I don't know how long it will take, but if they do it in keeping with the charm of the building, it will be a lovely place. Not too fancy - homely and friendly.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Lodge at Symonds Yat East has an idyllic setting in the heart of the Wye Valley in an area of outstanding natural beauty where the River Wye cuts a swathe through a wooded gorge on the edge of the spectacular Royal Forest of Dean.The Lodge is nestled just below Symonds Yat Rock and stands exclusively in grounds of almost 5 acres overlooking the river. It has terraced gardens of magnolia trees and a well established wisteria. The Royal was originally built in 1876 as a Royal hunting lodge and was converted to a hotel in the 1920's. It has had a full and extensive refurbishment in 2008 and is managed by Graham Howells who has overseen the transformation and ensures that the level of service reflects the new development and idyllic location. The Royal Lodge is a great place to unwind with long relaxing walks in outstanding scenery. The hotel is also well situated to explore the Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and the South Wales coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Book Direct Rooms, Hotel.de, Ebookers and HRS so you can book your The Royal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- The Royal Lodge Symonds Yat, Herefordshire