“excellent value for money in a great location”
Review of The Royal Lodge

The Royal Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Symonds Yat B&B and Inns
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“excellent value for money in a great location”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

a lovely small hotel in symonds yat with a great view of the river.The rooms are very comfortable and clean and the breakfast was really good with a great cooked breakfast.We did not eat dinner in the hotel- no real reason not to, just fancied trying somewhere else as we were only there for 1 day but now wish we had stayed in as the saracans head was poor! If you want a short break in a very beautiful location in a small family run hotel this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jane I
RoyalLodge, Manager at The Royal Lodge, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
We thank our valued guest for posting their review.

It is pleasing to hear that they enjoyed their breakfast for which we have an AA Breakfast award for, alongside the service of our staff.

We look forward to welcoming our guest back to the Royal Lodge in the future.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was surprised to be contacted by the son of the owner of this establishment after I posted my original review. Having suggested that he request its withdrawal (which apparently he had already attempted but been unable to accomplish, he opted to phone me rather than post a response on the TA site). Therefore, I submit this revision in deference to the apparently deep-distress which my previous posting has caused him and his small dedicated team. It was and is not my intention to ‘ruin’ their business or give an ‘unfair’ or ‘unbalanced’ review. I was informed that as the issues I did raise at the time with the very helpful morning manager were resolved to our satisfaction (as I mentioned in version 1) there was no need for me to go into detail on my TA review and therefore I have removed them, as well as the specifics about the evening meals. I should clarify that what I took to be urine in the toilet on our arrival, was apparently yellow-coloured toilet cleaner (having run out of the green), I clearly missed the foaming action when I flushed, so sorry about that.

The Royal Lodge is a lovely old establishment and clearly a work in progress. The location is just perfect overlooking the Wye from a perfect vantage point. . Symond's Yat has the advantage of no thoroughfare which means that once the hub-bub of the day has passed it is blissfully peaceful - no traffic noise and the combination of forest & water suited our main objective which was to relax! It would be nice if they could continue the Symonds Yat link throughout the building at some stage. The garden in front of it is delightful, especially on a bright summer’s Day. We paid for a "superior" room & it was very spacious & pleasant - with a great river view. The bathroom has clearly recently been refurbished & looks really good: although the ancient glass window in the connecting wall between bedroom & bathroom is a bit incongruous, but overall 8/10 for the room itself. The decking area outside the bar is a great idea, just exercise a little caution if you are not sure-footed. The staff were mostly pleasant and accommodating, the evening manageress seemed a bit scratchy & dismissive - my husband asked for a fish knife and was informed that none was available and that it was "an American invention”. Just as a point of interest, it was a Victorian invention . You may need to ask for additional beverage supplies for your room. Breakfast was expensive at £10.25 a head but very good. Although we chose not to eat from the Bar Menu it looked reasonably priced, the A la carte meals were adequate. Puddings were fine and the South African Pinotage at a fraction of the cost of other options on the wine list was exceptionally good.

Room Tip: Hints for a good stay I feel obliged to raise the issue of disability friendliness: it isn’t. If...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FlorenceScholar
RoyalLodge, Manager at The Royal Lodge, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
We thank our guests for revisiting their review after discussions direct with ourselves.

Kind Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel staff are really friendly and helpful. The room was lovely and the food excellent. Well done to all who work at the hotel. The personal touch given to all guests (not just us) was genuine and welcoming. I would definitely re-visit and recommend to anyone wanting a peaceful retreat, with a little bit of exercise on hand if wanted (hill-climbing, canoeing, walking)

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
RoyalLodge, Manager at The Royal Lodge, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
We thank our valued guest for posting their review.

We are pleased that they enjoyed their birthday celebration with us and that we helped make the special occasion one to remember.

We look forward to seeing our guest again in the future.

Potto, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights and one meal recently. The hotel has sadly been modernised (to 1980) and lost almost all of its Victorian lodge charm. You can't beat the location but as for the building, it could be anywhere. It's reasonably comfortable and reasonable value but feels mediocre and left behind by modern standards. Food was inconsistent as we're staff. Some were lovely but 2 staff were clearly not enjoying their jobs. Shame, it could have been a total treasure in the right hands. The replies to previous reviews are very telling - defensive and just not getting it.

Room Tip: River view.
4 Thank 123Douglas
We thank our guest for posting their review.

It is a great shame that our guest did not enjoy their stay. We can only apologise that the level of service and food was not to the same standard that we normally achieve. We have currently been experiencing a period of temporary staff both front of house and in the kitchen which appears to be the cause of the issue. This has been rectified.

As for being defensive, our small dedicated team endeavour to ensure that our guests receive the highest standard of hospitality and find insult in reviews which are based on untruths and assumption.

ringwood
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It was a heavingly busy Sunday afternoon when we arrived and not a parking space to be seen, however my husband stayed with the car whilst I went to book in. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful, and secured us a parking space. Booking in was easy and I was thrilled when we were upgraded to the four poster room from the king which we had booked. We had a stunning view from the picture window and the room was spacious yet simple. The setting right next to the river is divine and the views beautiful. It is a pretty ramshackle building set in a lovely garden where you can eat and drink.Our bathroom was fine although the shower water pressure too low. This is a small hotel/guest house and not what I would call a boutique hotel where I would expect standards to be higher. What sadly let it down was the food. On two occasions I heard reception on the phone asking to send another chef. We ate there on our first night but didn't bother again. I ordered a chicken and chorizo pie and it was a hard baked pastry pie crust fill with quite runny sauce. As it hadn't been baked as a pie the pastry was very hard, almost inedible. Also the chips were greasy and limp. It was served with peas in a ramakin. They had gone to the trouble of making it look"cheffy" in presentation but the cooking was poor. We had breakfast on the two mornings that we were there, and the cooked breakfast once again wasn't brilliantly cooked. The "homemade" croissant were also burnt.
This is a shame, as this is a really sweet little hotel with lovely friendly staff and if they were able to offer nice food, it could be excellent. I have marked the hotel 4 out of five, but seperately I would only mark the food as 2.

Room Tip: get a river view room
1 Thank RingwoodHolidayqueen
We thank our guest for taking the time to post their review.

We are pleased that they enjoyed the level of service that our small and dedicated team provide here at the Royal Lodge and it is a shame that, on this occasion, the food did not meet the standard that we usually serve.

Unfortunately due to staffing issues we were relying on a temporary kitchen team that did let us down. Fortunately, this situation has now been resolved and we are delivering our normal award winning level of food.

We hope to see our guest in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great location and I was pleased with the hotel; it did everything I needed as I was canoeing from just down the road. Girl on reception very friendly helpful and efficient. Breakfast service very speedy which is good as I had booked activities and was running late!

Room Tip: Garden view was great - there is stunning scenery
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
We thank our valued guest for posting their review.

We are glad to hear that they enjoyed the level of service, food and hospitality that we provide here at the Royal Lodge.

We look forward to seeing our guest again in the future.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Called in for coffee and cake with the children. I can't say we were overwhelmed by the welcome because we weren't. The bar area was deserted and the woman serving did not say please or thank you once. BUT the location is great and the coffee and cake was good and fairly priced.

Would I go back? Short answer is I don't think so.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alex K
RoyalLodge, Manager at The Royal Lodge, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We thank our valued guest for choosing to visit us here at the Royal Lodge and sincerely apologise that they did not receive a warm welcome from one of our temporary staff.

We can assure this has been rectified and we would like to welcome our guests back again in the near future.

Kind Regards
#1 of 1 in Much Birch
The King's Head Hotel
The King's Head Hotel
#4 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to The Royal Lodge? Share your experiences!