Met by a member of staff who didn't know where our room 20 was located. Had to ask twice (it's not signposted) and he finally found it next to room 7. Bedroom and bathroom was very 60's - no central heating in that part of the hotel, room had some old furniture and was gloomy when the light was turned on and the curtains drawn, which was necessary as there were no blinds and looked out on a lawn. Lack of local information on walks, etc. No hot water on first morning as boiler had broken down overnight. Returned from a six hour walk to be told that boiler was fixed. An hour later we informed the hotel (no phone in room) that there was again no hot water. Eventually bathed in luke warm water before going out. No newspaper delivery on second morning, but still charged on bill. Lack of communication among staff. No compensation offered for lack of hot water, but this was then promptly offered by the manager when sought. This is supposedly a four star hotel and we were paying £100 per night for a superior room. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and breakfast was good. However our impression was of a very tired building.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Lodge at Symonds Yat East has an idyllic setting in the heart of the Wye Valley in an area of outstanding natural beauty where the River Wye cuts a swathe through a wooded gorge on the edge of the spectacular Royal Forest of Dean.The Lodge is nestled just below Symonds Yat Rock and stands exclusively in grounds of almost 5 acres overlooking the river. It has terraced gardens of magnolia trees and a well established wisteria. The Royal was originally built in 1876 as a Royal hunting lodge and was converted to a hotel in the 1920's. It has had a full and extensive refurbishment in 2008 and is managed by Graham Howells who has overseen the transformation and ensures that the level of service reflects the new development and idyllic location. The Royal Lodge is a great place to unwind with long relaxing walks in outstanding scenery. The hotel is also well situated to explore the Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and the South Wales coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your The Royal Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- Royal Hotel Symonds Yat
- The Royal Lodge Symonds Yat, Herefordshire