“Very dated” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Symonds Yat B&B and Inns
manchester uk
“Very dated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

Ok my wife and i have just returned from a long weekend staying at the Royal Lodge i hate to have a go at hotels but i suppose thats why we use this site so here goes lets get the plus side hotel in a beautiful location right on the river lovely views and i have read a few reviews about the staff but we found them very helpful so no complaints there,bar prices not too bad really considering where you are,now the down side,we were shown to our room which was full of shredded tissue or paper on the floor which had obviously not been paid much attention to for new arrivals which i spotted straight away,the windows were like something out of a world war two army barracks for a four star hotel very below the standard you would expect i thought the maids would tidy everything up as our stay went along but no nothing done at all a quick vac on the carpet would not of gone a miss.Now for what we were paying £40-£45 per person per night beb&breakfast not the cheapest of places you would expect more attention to detail certainly not a four star hotel yet needs some money spending on it i think maybe because of the location the stars have been awarded so sorry The Royal Lodge i tell it as it really is hope comments dont offend

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thebadger007
RoyalLodge, Manager at The Royal Lodge, responded to this review, 24 August 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank You for your comments concerning your stay with us at The Royal Lodge. Please accept my sincere apologies for the state of your room on arrival as you describe. Had the matter been brought to our attention, it would have been immediately rectified. I can only assume that within the busy period we have recently experienced, the quality inspection of your room after house-keeping and before your arrival was sadly overlooked on this one occasion.

Whilst I thank you for your further comments, I must point out that 'The Royal Lodge' is classified as a "4 Star Guest Accommodation" (AA Quality Standard Classification). Whilst we endeavor to provide as many services for guests as possible, we are not a 'Hotel'. We do pride ourselves on professional, uniformed staff, well-appointed public areas as well as our restaurant which caters to residents and non-residents, and whilst we try to provide a more personalised service, the classification of a 4 star hotel differs from our own.

We hope that you will visit us again at The Royal Lodge in the future and thank you for your kind feedback.

Kind Regards,

Mr S J Brock
Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

Lovely location right on the river - rooms are SUPPOSED to have views but my BOX room did not... unless I stood on the bed :( My friend did have a larger single room with a better view and YES I was miffed! But a bedroom is for sleeping in!

Hotel food is excellent (if pricey!) would avoid the sweets if I were you at £6 for a TINY portion they simply are not worth it - drinks are DEAR at £3.40 for a pint of cider BUT note that all accommodation in Symonds Yet East is owned by the same family SO THERE IS A MONOPOLY and the prices reflect this!

There are plenty of PUBS ouside the village where a great meal can be had for half the price!

Will be back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank paulnpaula
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

We stayed at the Royal Lodge for one night at the beginning of July. The area it is set in is absolutely stunning.

Our room was a good size and had windows along two sides so it was nice and light and we had lovely views. We had a four poster bed which looked good and was both sturdy and comfortable. There was even a radio in the room which I tried and it worked. The bathroom looked new and the shower was excellent. Everything was spotlessly clean. Only problem I had was that I got lost leaving the room and it took me a while to find the way downstairs but then I do have a lousy sense of direction.

Having eaten a large meal earlier in the day, we had a light meal in the evening; I had smoked salmon, very tasty. Just wish I’d had room for a desert. The service was good, both friendly and quick and we enjoyed our meal.

Service at breakfast was again friendly and quick. We don’t eat cooked breakfast but I ordered the porridge and it was definitely the best porridge I’ve eaten. There was also a help-yourself continental breakfast bar with yogurts, cereals and juices plus toast to order. Excellent.

I certainly hope we can go again.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

We stayed here for our anniversary weekend recently. The location is superb, and the view from our standard room overlooked the river which was great. However, the bathroom could have done with a really good clean to get rid of the hairs belonging to the previous occupants, and the plumbing was rather antiquated & extremely noisy.
Our room wasn't cleaned for the whole weekend (despite asking the housekeeping staff when we left to go out on Saturday morning), we ran out of things like loo roll & coffee which weren't replaced, and to cap it all off, when we reported one early evening that the main lightbulb in the bathroom had blown, the maintenance man didn't turn up to replace it til way gone 11pm by which time we were asleep in bed. In the end he left us a torch to use in the bathroom, & although he apologised the next day, it seems a bit odd that not one member of staff could change a lightbulb in a 4 hr period. I would have done it myself if the light fitting hadn't been full of dead insects. The other light in the bathroom didn't work for the entire weekend either.
We had hoped for a relatively peaceful weekend, but the room overlooked the pub garden where kids would play from early in the morning, & where the guests sat & drank & chatted at night, plus the walls are very thin, so you can hear the alarms, plumbing noises & the TV noises of other guests.
The restaurant was good however (although sometimes what was on the menu wasn't what arrived on your plate - but it tasted fine!) and the waiting staff very helpful, so it's definitely a good place to go for a nice meal rather than to stay for a peaceful weekend.

1 Thank ManxLondon
RoyalLodge, Manager at The Royal Lodge, responded to this review, 5 August 2010
Dear Guest,

Firstly, many thanks for your feedback regarding your stay at The Royal Lodge, Symonds Yat East. We value all forms of feedback in order to ensure that our guest’s expectations are not compromised. I note that on this occasion, you have not experienced our usual high standard of service and would like to express my genuine apologies for the problems that you encountered during your visit.

I am sorry that the issues you mention in respect of cleanliness in your room were not brought to my attention at the time; however, I cannot understand why your room would not have been serviced daily. This is unacceptable and I have raised a query with our service team.

Having looked into your concerns regarding lighting problems, I am assured by staff involved that you did not want to be disturbed. I apologise that the problems you reported were not rectified earlier in the day and had I been made aware of the situation, unless we were fully booked, I would have offered to move you to an alternative room.

In respect of noise issues that you describe, we have taken steps toward sound-proofing the floors in most rooms, however, The Royal Lodge is popular with both residents and non-residents and we aim to be family friendly. Should you stay with us again, perhaps we could reserve a room for you in a higher floor.

I am happy that your experience in Hunters Restaurant was a positive one. We are very happy with our new menu but apologise if any error was made with your menu choices.

I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to prove that we offer a much higher standard of customer care by considering staying with us again in the future as I can assure you that your experience on this occasion is not typical of our normal level of service.

Kind Regards,

Mr S J Brock
Duty Manager
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

My husband and I were recommended this hotel via a Best Western when we moved on during a short break last week. The young chap who we saw on arrival was more than happy to show us which rooms they had available to ensure we got the best available and gave us a very good rate for 3 nights. All staff were very friendly, room we had was very nice. Some parts of the hotel need a bit of TLC but the dining room and residents lounge are fine, I think it will take time for the new owners to get it all up to scratch. Only one slight hiccup which was a chicken dish my husband had, the chicken was tough, however the waitress was mortified and asked if my husband wanted anything else, did not charge for the meal (of course), however did not expect them not charge for my husbands desert either. So apologetic, which does make a difference. The sweet menu includes several flavours of ice cream and 3 choices are allowed from the ones available as a desert, one evening I only had 2 so they reduced the cost of that desert. Fair play I say! All in all would recommend this hotel and of course the position is great.

Christchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I recently stayed at The Royal Lodge as part of a large group. We were there as guests to a civil partnership. I had the best time! The location is stunning, plenty of walks. The hotel was bigger than i expected and has everything you need. I had a lovely room, spacious, incluing the en suite. The food we had was delicious!! Highly recommend the food. But what really made the trip was the staff. They were all so friendly, polite, helpful and had great senses of humour!! They are the main reason that I would go back. Thank you guys for such a great stay!!!

• Stayed June 2010
edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

Just returned from a fantastic time at the Royal Lodge and absolutely loved it, especially the customer service from Stephen, owner / manager?! My husband and I arrived at the hotel to be warmly greeted - we arrived in the morning and were not expecting to be able to get into our room until early afternoon, but he asked an extra maid to help get the room ready for us and within 5 minutes we were in! Meanwhile as this was our first trip to the area, we were given loads of tourist information and reccomendations of where to go and what attractions to see. The room was great - very clean and tidy and a lovely view of the gardens. The bed was Kingsize and extremely comfortable.

Food in Bistro very good and great value too - Andrew looked after us very well and everyone made us feel very welcome. We enjoyed hearing the plans they have to develop the hotel further - very exciting - have to say they had us working on a return visit so we could see the developments in place!

All in all I could not fault the hotel and when we go back we will most defiantely stay there again - have reccommended to all friends and family also! Thank you Stephen and Andrew for making our stay such a memorable one! See you next year.

My ratings for this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Symonds Yat
#7 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clearwell

Been to The Royal Lodge? Share your experiences!