“Nice location, pleasant rooms and staff; not so good food”

The Botany Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsgate
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had a family get-together at the Botany Bay Hotel, and it really is a lovely setting, overlooking the bay, with minimal traffic. Some rooms overlook the car park rather than the sea, but ours was modernly decorated with good linen and furnishings, and the bed comfortable. (major point - curtains do not keep out all the light; and no bedside lights - said to be "on their way".) Watch out for stairs. Our first floor room had three small flights to it; and other flights to a wing were cramped and twisty. There is no lift, although I understand there are some ground floor rooms. Not too much noise, although this is a pubby hotel and they hope to hold weddings.
A big open bar downstairs (with newspapers), and outside seats give lots of sea views, but the musak was distracting - nowhere quiet to sit and talk, except outside.
The staff are exceptional: young and friendly and mostly efficient, and put themselves out to respond to your personal needs. Kirsty and Kayleigh need special mention! We did not appear to see any managers.
It's a pity about the food. We had to eat from the bar menu (chosen the first night, and only offered in the restaurant for Saturday lunch: disappointing). It had seafood on the menu, but it was mostly of the fish and chips variety, and very standard fare. It could have done with "specials" that reflect the seaside setting, or more interesting salads.
Botany Bay itself is a lovely cove, with white chalk cliffs. LOTS of shallow steps down (and up!), and a little kiosk that rents buckets & spades, and deck chairs. Could we be in the 1950s?? Easy paths round the coast, too. Take binoculars!

Room Tip: Some sea view rooms have balconies - I'd snaffle one of those if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CT2Ashby2014

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We loved this hotel when it was the fayrness and we love it even more now. We got engaged here in the middle of the renovation and brought the kids with us on the next visit after the renovation was complete. We had a family room. It was an amazing size; the bathroom was incredible! The food was amazing; you pay for the quality. I thought the staff were very sweet and attentive. Could not fault their manners! The new outdoor seating area looks amazing as well. The only thing I missed was the pool table and dart board however the area it used to be in looks so classy yet comfortable now.

We love this place so much we are getting Married here next March. I cannot wait to show it off to all my family and friends!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma S
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel and I am not sure if I would go there again. The room was furnished to a good standard, well furnished and clean. The complimentary toiletries and tea/coffee etc, were of good quality too.

Unfortunately our room number 506 was at the top of the hotel (no lift) and overlooked the car park. This meant that when non residents were leaving the hotel late at night there was a lot of loud talking or shouting, banging of car doors, etc and woke us up. The car park also housed the beer unloading bay and was very close to the bins. We were again woken up - this time at 6 am by the rubbish collection on two out of the three mornings we were there (the other morning was bank holiday so presumably there was no bin collection that day). Then straight after the bin collection there was a large delivery of metal beer barrels from a brewery - this delivery of beer was also well before 7 am and consisted of delivery men and hotel staff talking/shouting to each other right under our bedroom window and throwing and banging the beer barrels around and carried on for some time and even after I phoned reception to complain about the noise. This of course duly woke up the noisy children in the room next door. The noisy children next door were running around in the room and corridor until quite late at night too. No apology from the staff for the early bin collection noise or the noisy beer delivery! Not much chance of getting to sleep before midnight here or having a lazy morning in bed.

The food was very good although perhaps not a great variety if you are staying for longer than a few days. The breakfast service was a bit slow on our last day but wasn't a terrible wait, just a bit longer than I expected.

Unfortunately, I think the good food and welcoming atmosphere of the hotel creates the situation where it is a victim of it's own success, in that residents or paying guests at the hotel cannot even get a seat in the large bar area, outdoor seating or restaurant because of non residents descending on it - especially in good weather! I suppose that is really testament to how good it is, but it is frustrating when you are staying at the hotel and have to go elsewhere to eat or sit in your room.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the car park - although I imagine that the rooms overlooking the front of th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Saffron321
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel was clean and of a good standard, but I do have a few comments to make.
We had booked two rooms, one double and one twin. We specifically asked for the twin room to be on the ground floor at the time of booking as my elderly parents were with us and they have difficulty walking up stairs.
When we arrived the rooms had been mistakenly made up, the double was on the ground floor and the twin upstairs!!! The staff sat us in the bar area and went off to check the mistake out. They realised that it was their fault and managed to find another ground floor room for my parents. This was fine except that the room looked out over the car
park and directly underneath their window were the rubbish bins/recycling bins! As we had booked this hotel for their 50th wedding anniversary celebration we were very upset by this.
There was also a party going on in the hotel, which was fine up until the guests went to bed - we were woken by the amount of noise with guests shouting and walking up and down their rooms upstairs. My parents didn't get any sleep at all as the people directly above them had a baby which cried all night and they walked the baby up and down all night!
The heating in my parents room was not switched on and consequently they were very cold.
I would not repeat the experience at this hotel, although I would say that the staff did their best to help.

Room Tip: Unable as our rooms were terrible and we didn't see any others.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Yvette H
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were very impressed with this hotel. Our room was lovely - large and beautifully clean and well decorated with two balconies overlooking the sea and the fastest filling bath tub I have ever met! The staff are lovely, very friendly and welcoming and helpful - the only downside was the lack of a television signal! I can understand the problems but the obvious solution is to have Sky installed. I cannot understand why this has not been done already. You cannot advertise televisions in each room if you cannot watch them! Having said this, we will still go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front with balcony
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

There are many things not right with this place if you are under 70 with children. First night left for dead in the restaurant - had to ask after 20 mins for a menu. Waited 40 mins for breakfast with my 2 children before having to ask for toast which was cold. On checking out not even asked if we enjoyed our stay just asked for our credit card. Im not even going to start on the tv although I was asked to try and tune myself. With children - no tv! Also I brought 3 other people to this place in April and it wasn't working for them. This place is a long way off justifying a 1.4 mill refurb

Thanks
John

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank John C
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Firstly the hotel is in a good position, the food in the Restaurant was good, wine reasonably priced and the staff were friendly, helpful and breakfast was great.

Secondly we were on the ground floor and there was no privacy whatsoever, there were no nets or blinds just curtains that when drawn made the room totally dark, so in daylight if you didn't want anyone to see in you had to draw the curtains and put the light on, also there were no bedside lamps just an overhead light.

Thirdly you can hear the people in the rooms above talking, moving around and having sex which is great if you can put the TV on which sadly was only working intermittently while we were there.

Great place to go I'm sure if you have a top floor room, if you are offered ground floor give it a miss.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsgate
Royal Albion Hotel
#5 of 10 in Ramsgate
Crescent Victoria Hotel
Crescent Victoria Hotel
#4 of 12 in Margate

Been to The Botany Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!