“How small can a room get?”
Review of THORPE SHARK Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chertsey
THORPE SHARK Hotel
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Took two of my grandsons for their annual treat to Thorpe Park but this year decided to do a two day treat with an overnight stay in the on-site hotel. We combined it with one of the Park's Summer Nights extras when you can stay on the rides until 10pm. This would usually have cost £15 each if tagged onto a day ticket but as we were staying in the hotel it was included.

On arrival at the park I showed my hotel booking confirmation to the guys in the car park and drove straight to the dedicated hotel/disabled parking area, right next to the park entrance.
Check in is any time between 3pm and 11pm and so I left it until around 5pm and left the boys to do their own thing in the park while I sorted everything out.

Check in was quick and easy and I was given a wrist band to prove that we were staying in the hotel (the boys had to collect theirs in person later) and proceeded to the room. The rooms are on two levels accessed by metal walkways and give the appearance of being converted shipping containers, and we were at the far end on the first floor so nice and quiet.

I had expected it to be quite small and I wasn't wrong! Most of the room is taken up by the double bed and the bunk beds with the double bed along one wall and the width of the room being the length of the bed. The bunk beds are at right angles to the double bed (opposite the door) and the length of the room is the width of the bed plus the length of the bunks (hope you are getting the picture). Opposite the bunks, next to the door is a waist height shelf with drawers and a very small hanging space underneath. All very compact!!! At the opposite end to the bed is the wet room with shower, wash basin and loo. Like I said it is VERY small, but spotlessly clean.

Word of warning, if you are claustrophobic I would not recommend this for you at all as there are no opening windows, only a "porthole" in the door that is about a foot in diameter. I tend to get like this sometimes, but I had guessed it would be small and had prepared myself mentally for it.

The air conditioning is very effective though and is controlled by a remote handset in the room although it is very noisy. My eldest grandson snores and talks in his sleep for England so I had armed myself with a pair of earplugs anyway so this helped with the aircon noise too.

The room has a flat screen TV set on the wall at the front of the double bed and when it was angled correctly, the boys could see it from the bunk beds.

The only amenities provided in the room was a couple of small bottles of water (only two for three guests???) and one pouch of shampoo and one of shower gel. Not very good for three people, but I had taken my own.

Dinner is not included in the package but is taken in the 360 Grill and Bar and as it was a "Summer Nights" extra most of the eateries in the park were also open, but we chose to eat in the Grill. Note - book a table for the evening during the day, as it can be busy.

The menu choice is small but the food was good and very welcome after a long day in the park.
Breakfast is included in the package and is again served in the 360 grill and is a self service buffet with fruit juice, tea and coffee, cereals, pastries, fresh fruit and yoghurt as well as the usual English breakfast must haves - bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, baked beans, grilled tomatoes and hash browns. All well cooked and very tasty.

Check out is at 10am so we had cleared the room and taken our gear back to the car before breakfast, ready to hit the park as soon as it opened for hotel guests, 45 minutes before the main opening. Out hotel wrist bands also gave us fast track passes to any rides until 10:30.

The only problem we did have is that the "plug" in the basin is of the swivel type often used in hotels and I had rinsed out a pair of laces from one of the boys' trainers as he wanted to put them in his other pair and they were sandy. The result was that the sand grains got between the plug and the plug hole and the plug wouldn't swivel so we couldn't let the water out of the sink. As it was during the evening there was no one on site who could sort it out for us, but I told the Receptionist that we would manage and she gave us two extra fast track passes to make up for our inconvenience.

All in all it was a good experience, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying in the Thorpe Shark hotel. However, I personally wouldn't do it again as we all felt, even the boys, that two days (and an evening) was far too long in the park and if it hadn't been for the fact that the boys had had two hours on the Flow Rider surfing experience on the first evening and again on the second morning then I think we would have been ready to leave by lunch time on the second day.

5  Thank Lynda S
ThorpeParkUKOfficial, Guest Relations Manager at THORPE SHARK Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear LyndylouBrighton,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent stay at the THORPE SHARK Hotel!

We do hope that the hotel did in fact live up to your expectations, as it is marketed as a unique, one of a kind experience! The rooms are indeed described as ‘bite-sized’ on the main website however we apologise if you felt that the size of the room made you feel uncomfortable.

The air conditioning system has been mentioned a few times in the feedback we have received from other guests, and this has been passed on to the relevant department in order for these units to be modified, however thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We are sorry if you felt that the amenities your room were a little mean, this has been duly noted and will be passed on. We are also sorry if the plug and basin situation you had dampened your stay, however we are glad it got resolved in the end through one of our staff compensating you with some fastrack passes.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our wide range of food and beverages we have on offer in our 360 Bar & Grill restaurant. This always proves to be a popular place for people to eat and we always enjoy hearing the great feedback it receives.
However, we are thrilled that you had a marvellous stay in the hotel overall!

Thanks again for your comments regarding your recent stay, and we hope to see you sometime in the near future!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed overnight with our 9 year old granddaughter & she thought the hotel was really cool especially with a walkway through a shark's body!. The hotel looks like a converted warehouse with 2 floors & we were allocated a corner room on the top floor facing the lake. Agree that the rooms are very compact but okay for 3 on a one night stay. The beds were very comfortable but the top bunk bed was folded into the wall & we were a little worried that she might bump her head on the edge of this, which she did not! The wet room was adequate but would have liked a small edging on the floor as the water spilled into half of the sink area & we had to put newspaper down to mop it up. The air conditioning did not bother us & there is no window but a porthole on the door to see out. There was a good selection at the buffet breakfast in the 360 bar but we did have to report that the hot water for tea was not running through clear. This was seen to very promptly & the pipe cleaned out. We also had dinner here the night of arrival & there was a reasonable selection for both adults & children. The food was fine as long as u do not expect cordon bleu. I do have to say that all the young staff both in the hotel & restaurants were very pleasant & obliging so full marks for customer service. Free car parking is included but make sure u leave your wristbands on until after u exit as u need this as proof that u have stayed at the hotel. The wristbands also provided free fast track for the rides for the first hour the following day which was very welcome. Taking into account both the hotel & Thorpe Park our granddaughter said it was the best one we had taken her to so far & the main thing was for her to enjoy herself, which she certainly did!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the lake as some work seems to be going on at the back of the hotel..
1  Thank evieroselily
ThorpeParkUKOfficial, Guest Relations Manager at THORPE SHARK Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear evieroselily,

We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience in our hotel. As this is a fairly new addition to the resort, it is always nice to hear positive feedback from our guests!

We are so pleased you found that the beds comfortable and to your tastes; however we are sorry to hear about the water spillage regarding the wet room. This has been duly noted and will be passed on to the relevant department.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed our wide range of food available on the breakfast menu, however we are sorry to hear about the quality of the hot water. This will be passed on as guest feedback.
We are glad to hear that you found our staff both in the resort and in the hotel pleasant and obliging. Those are two positive words we love to hear when our guests describe our staff!

Thanks again for your wonderful review, and we hope to see you in the resort in the near future!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I found the room to be perfectly adequate for one night,although my partner wasn't as keen on the tin box style of room. the mattresses and pillows were firm and comfy, and the wetroom shower was hot and powerful. the aircon was a bit noisy though, and I would have hated to stay in the tiny space with two kids,getting dressed would have been like a game of twister. the breakfast was fine, we went down early to avoid the rush. the evening meal was also good, but the service painfully slow. the waitress was lovely, but seemed to struggle under pressue and kept forgetting stuff. we got on more rides having the wristbands in one hour than we had on the entire previous day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jason f
ThorpeParkUKOfficial, Guest Relations Manager at THORPE SHARK Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear jason f,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay in the THORPE SHARK Hotel!
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay at this new and unique hotel, and made use of the room’s full facilities! We never get tired of hearing how our guests enjoy how comfortable the pillows are!
We are glad you enjoyed the food available to you, however we are sorry that you felt that the standard of the waitress and service as a whole was not up to your standard. We will of course pass this information on to the relevant department!
With regards to the aircon, we have had several other reports on the noise factor, and this is something we will definitely be looking into in the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Great place to spend the night after a full on day in the park .
Roos spotlessly clean staff very friendly and nothing to much trouble got to leave our luggage at the reception before we checked in and again when we left so we could spend as much time in the park as possible. The food in the 360 bar was good breakfast good all the staff are a credit to the merlin group..

Room Tip: One overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ThorpeParkUKOfficial, Guest Relations Manager at THORPE SHARK Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear willie_b_j ,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to THORPE SHARK Hotel.

We are delighted to hear that every aspect of your recent stay was enjoyable, and that we were able to accommodate for all of your needs. We have passed on your praise to the relevant departments for their viewing.

Thanks again for your comments, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I visited the park with me nephew and booked in for 1 night.

The Pros: I was aware of the compact nature of the rooms and found them to be clean and well planned although I'm not sure I would have wanted to share the space more than 1 other person! The service was great with friendly and helpful staff, the breakfast plentiful and being on site early meant we had access to the rides without queuing for a while!

The Cons: The rooms do not have windows and as it was a hot day/night we needed to have the air con on; not only was this noisy and kept me awake but meant by morning I had a sore throat. This got worse and worse during the day and I am now full of cold and feeling sorry for myself. After about 10.30 am I could no longer face any more rides so we left the park earlier than expected.

If aircon doesn't bother you then this is a great place to stay, but if like me you need fresh air to sleep then avoid like the plague!!!

1  Thank Chargee

Dear Chargee,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to THORPE SHARK Hotel. We are pleased to hear of your positive observations and equally disappointed by the negative ones.

We are delighted that the room lived up to your expectations and the staff were friendly. This is something we consider to be hugely important given the nature of our business, so to hear that this element of your stay was a success is great to hear.

I was bitterly disappointed to hear of your difficulties regarding ventilation. We have taken on board your comments regarding the air conditioning unit and the lack of fresh air. We will pass this on to the relevant management team for their consideration, and in the meantime please accept our sincere apologies to this end.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We didn't really know what to expect , but were pleasantly surprised . Rooms are small but space is used well, beds/bedding very clean and comfortable. Guest services helpful and can provide anything needed eg. Iron , hairdryer and all staff very polite. We could not fault the breakfast plenty to choose from. The early morning entry to park is brilliant for getting on the most popular rides. The only slight down side is lack of window in rooms , but actually once in there with AC on it was ok.Well done Thorpe Shark is a great base to make park visit even better !

1  Thank jane q

Dear jane q,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to THORPE SHARK Hotel. We are pleased that you were pleasantly surprised, and that your initial reservations were quashed.

Our rooms offer a completely unique experience to our guests, and we are glad this was a sentiment you agree with. In terms of your constructive criticism, we thank you for taking the time to make these known to us, and we will take them on board, particularly your desire for windows.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here weekend just gone 19th July and I was happy with the park and the location the summer nights pass was worth the extra. The hotel rooms are small shipping containers but very functional the mood lighting and the showers were a great.

The breakfast was awful, I got there at 9am and there wasn't much left, the food was all over the counters, I asked if it was going to be refilled and the waitress didn't know and walked away. The coffee machine was broken and dirty coffee mugs left lying around. The tables weren't cleared or cleaned and there wasn't any cutlery when asked for some got told to just wander round and find some. I was very disapointed in this.

The fast track until 10:30 am was a good idea however the park was quiet at this point and didn't need to que for the rides, a choice of fast track passes for main attractions would be a better idea.

The service as a whole was bad asked a few members of staff for simple things such as directions, where I could buy certain things and none wanted to help.

Reception staff were quick and efficant did the job, not like hotel staff for welcoming however didn't expect as much.

I enjoyed my stay but wouldn't stay again unless it was really cheap around £30 for the night.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Allyb09,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to THORPE SHARK Hotel.

We are pleased that several aspects of your visit were enjoyable, and that the room was mostly to your taste. I am bitterly disappointed to hear of your below par breakfast experience, and rest assured I have passed this information on so an investigation in to this can take place.

In terms of our staff, the indifferent experience you have received is another disappointment to us, and we will look into our training procedure as a result, but we were pleased that the hotel staff were quick and efficient. With regards to the rest of your comments, we have taken them on board for consideration.

THORPE PARK Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chertsey
Great Fosters
#1 of 4 in Chertsey
Thyme at the Tavern
Thyme at the Tavern
#3 of 5 in Chertsey

Been to THORPE SHARK Hotel? Share your experiences!