“Another enjoyable visit” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chertsey
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Another enjoyable visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I last visited the Crown well over a year ago. It was a really good hotel then, but following the extensive renovations, it is even better. I was welcomed by Tony, the proprietor, on check in and he remembered me from my last stay which is very commendable! I was given a suite (room 302) and was very impressed on how well appointed it was. Huge bed, sofas, two TVs and very spacious. My only quibble would be that it was rather hot in there despite air conditioning being available (perhaps the main external units weren't switched on?) and the small window only opened a little. This made sleep a little difficult despite the bed being very comfortable.The bathroom was modern and very clean too. The bar area and restaurant was spacious and airy with a choice of seating areas. The kitchen could be viewed through a large window from the dining room. The menu was varied and reasonably priced. My evening meal was well cooked and quick to arrive. i would have preferred it served on a plate and not what appeared to be a child's blackboard though! Every staff member I encountered welcomed me with a smile and were extremely pleasant. I will definitely return if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have been staying at the Crown Hotel in Chertsey for a number of years. There aren't many hotel options near the center of town and until recently, most of them were pretty rough around the edges and offered few amenities. The Crown was okay before the renovations, but it is in another class entirely now. The rooms offer the basics, but they are now up-to-date and generally seem cleaner and brighter. The real charm, however, is the outdoor patio and pub/restaurant. It is now more open and spacious and while it retains the classic British pub ambience, it manages to also have a more contemporary look. Both the food and friendly/helpful personnel seem to be kicked it up several notches. The dining area is mixed with the pub with along with several connected dining rooms. Food choices cover a spectrum from upscale pub offerings to contemporary global cuisine. There are a number of vegetarian options available. The hotel is near a path that goes along side the nearby church that is great for taking a scenic run too and along the Thames and a golf club; part road/part trail. It is also easy enough to run or stroll over the Chertsey Bridge and along the Thames past Thorp Park. It is great to have these choices for exercise, since the hotel lacks a fitness center. For those on business, it is a quick and convenient walk into town.

Room Tip: I have stayed in many of the rooms here prior to the renovation. The one in the old attic area is p...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Southend-on-Sea, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

After visiting thorpe park all day this was the perfect place to go to finish the day off. Every member of staff were polite and helpful and the room was spacious, comfortable and very clean. However, the biggest surprise for me was the pub and restaurant. It was very clean, very comfortable and the food was absolutely amazing. I will definitely remember this place for next time and would recommend it to anybody looking for somewhere to stay in the area.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank upthearsenal
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you very much for such a lovely review.

We hope to see you again in the very near future and can then thank you in person.
Thetford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I stayed on a Sunday night whilst visiting family in the local area. First impressions were good . The hotel receptionist was friendly and welcoming .. The room itself was modern and comfortable ...Things started going wrong in the morning , No hot water ....so not able to have a shower, I went to reception to report this and was told " they would investigate " no apology at all !?!? We then decided to go for breakfast, it all looked very nice but absolutely no vegetarian option ( its 2014 ! ) I asked the waitress if they had any vegetarian options , she looked at me blankly and said " she would ask " I decided to have the breakfast minus the sausage and bacon ... so basically had eggs , mushrooms and beans ... As we walked back to the room the receptionist advised that the engineer was looking into the hot water issue and that I could use another room to shower ( still no apology ! ) but at this point it was check out time so I decided not to bother . I understand that things do go wrong but at no point was an apology given ... I don't normally complain but I just felt that the customer service in this hotel is sadly lacking .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest
We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and again we are very sorry that you do not believe our receptionist on the morning was apologetic. We have spoken to her re this and she is very confused, as she does believe that the first thing she did was to apologise for the problem with the shower and as you have stated, then offered you another room as the quickest resolution whilst the plumber looked at the problem. Unfortunately there are occasions when equipment may go wrong!

Regarding breakfast
I am unsure if you noticed, but there was a large buffet table with a delicious selection of Muffins, Danish pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, yoghurts etc. and there was also an area where you could have helped yourself to freshly made toast.

Again we apologise if you believe our customer service is lacking, our team are fully committed in providing a great experience for all.

We do hope to see you again in the future and you do not allow the above to reflect in further reservations.
Hamble, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Had a very nice business lunch here. Dining area was bright an airy, with a good friendly service.

Food is fairly traditional, good quality pub food, fish and chips were good, especially the batter on the Cod, crispy without being oily.

Definitely recommend the pub for lunch.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed for a weekend break hotel room was lovely big bed, the restaurant was great we order steak and pulled pork burger they were both beautiful the bar was very busy as it was a Saturday night they had a band on which was a added bonus! We will be back!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you and we are delighted you had a great time.

Look forward to receiving your next reservation.
Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

The first indication that perhaps things were not going to be quite as good as the dinner menu promised was when I was asked how I would like my hake cooked! For a fish dinner that was being charged at a rather pricey £17.95, which was not sushi, the question was utterly baffling and worrying! It was something to do with their till apparently. Anyway, the fish dish was terrible and well below my expectations with a rock hard poached egg sitting on the top of a watery tasteless liquid that I think was meant to be a sauce. My friend was brought completely the wrong meal. We had to wait ages for her correct meal to come whilst our other meals went colder and colder. When her salad finally arrived it was wrongly prepared, lacked proper seasoning and had missing ingredients. She wished she'd kept the wrong dish that had previously arrived!

When asked if we were enjoying our meals we listed all the problems. Chef would be told was the reply.

No renumeration was offered so we asked for the poor service and disappointing quality of food to be reflected in our bill. In the end we had to insist that the salad (billed as a burger at £10.95) be taken off our bill. The fish dish we wrote off as a bad and expensive experience. Desserts were equally disappointing but no-one cared to ask us about those but please please please don't mention chambord raspberries if they have been frozen. Frozen raspberries are awful!

The welcome into the restaurant was lovely, the menu enticing, but the warmth from the staff dissipates when something that isn't right is brought to their attention. The quality of food disappoints but when you fight to be compensated the evening is ruined.

If things were not so pricey we would have expected less and perhaps been less disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest
I am so sorry that you have need to write such a daming reveiw, we have clearly let you down on this occasion and cannot understand why things had gone so wrong.

Please by all means contact us directly, we would love to be able to offer you a complimentary meal so you can revisit and we can show you that this sitaution is really not normal.

Once again our sincere apologies.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chertsey
The Bridge Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,444 reviews
Oatlands Park Hotel
Oatlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!