“Excellent find”
Review of Crown Hotel

Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chertsey
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were pointed in the direction of the Crown Hotel by another hotel proprietor who's own hotel was full. It came with high recommendations.

From the minute I made my telephone reservation with Natasha I knew it was going to live up to my expectations. We were three ladies of a certain age (!) going to Sandown Races. Natasha went beyond the call of duty suggesting if we wanted to ring early on the morning of arrival she would see if the room was ready to use earlier than the check in time so that we could get ready before we left. She provided us with useful information with regard to getting to the train station and the frequency of trains.

The room itself was great and easily accomodated the three of us and all our paraphernalia!! Beautifully decorated and lovely huge bathroom, with plenty of complimentary toiletries and towels for the three of us.

There was a king size bed and a put you up bed, but the bed would have easily been big enough for all of us to bunk in together! The bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home with me!

The bar/dining area and outdoor spaces have a continental vibe about them,and we were lucky enough to have nice weather that we could sit outside. The world cup was on and they managed to have 4 screens on so everyone who wanted to could watch the game. It was nice jovial atmosphere in there watching the game, even if England didn't live up to our expectations!

Amazingly some of the same staff from the night before were serving breakfast the next day, and got to say despite a late night, they were in good spirits, although they must have been tired and really not have wanted to be there. Big up to the chef, who despite us coming down to the buffet at 9.50 (it finished at 10) still brought out fresh fried eggs and bacon.

A really lovely stay, and couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough, Happy to respond to any enquiries about it dbartdodo@hotmail.co.uk

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest
We are really pleased you had a great stay and now you know where we are look forward to welcoming back on your next visit.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed for 1 night whilst working locally, in total this is probably my 7th or 8th visit over the last 12 months and the hotel has got progressively worse.
Rooms are decent enough but it's pot luck if your air con works or not, mine did but my colleagues were not as lucky. I had a double room and the bed was awful, very hard and 'springy' mattress - poor quality pillows too.
The food is generally good but the food service was very slow and 1 of the dishes not as described, and when informed, staff showed little interest.
On check in, I tried to book a table that would have a view of the TV's to watch the football - I was told this was not possible, even though the place was empty all evening.
Breakfast was awful. This is the 2nd time I've stayed since the buffet breakfast was introduced and it hasn't gotten any better. Very little choice, condiments (milk, butter) missing from the table. To serve yourself bacon , sausage and fried eggs, they provided a large spoon. It took longer to get them on the plate than it did to eat them!
It's safe to say I will not be returning, it was never the cheapest hotel (up to £130 a night sometimes) but it has now fallen way behind similar priced competition in the area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have kept away from this hotel for some years because it was poor. I was booked in by my company in a group booking so I had to go.

What a change the hotel is excellent, clean, good food, friendly staff.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I last visited the Crown well over a year ago. It was a really good hotel then, but following the extensive renovations, it is even better. I was welcomed by Tony, the proprietor, on check in and he remembered me from my last stay which is very commendable! I was given a suite (room 302) and was very impressed on how well appointed it was. Huge bed, sofas, two TVs and very spacious. My only quibble would be that it was rather hot in there despite air conditioning being available (perhaps the main external units weren't switched on?) and the small window only opened a little. This made sleep a little difficult despite the bed being very comfortable.The bathroom was modern and very clean too. The bar area and restaurant was spacious and airy with a choice of seating areas. The kitchen could be viewed through a large window from the dining room. The menu was varied and reasonably priced. My evening meal was well cooked and quick to arrive. i would have preferred it served on a plate and not what appeared to be a child's blackboard though! Every staff member I encountered welcomed me with a smile and were extremely pleasant. I will definitely return if the opportunity arises.

1  Thank Mike E
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have been staying at the Crown Hotel in Chertsey for a number of years. There aren't many hotel options near the center of town and until recently, most of them were pretty rough around the edges and offered few amenities. The Crown was okay before the renovations, but it is in another class entirely now. The rooms offer the basics, but they are now up-to-date and generally seem cleaner and brighter. The real charm, however, is the outdoor patio and pub/restaurant. It is now more open and spacious and while it retains the classic British pub ambience, it manages to also have a more contemporary look. Both the food and friendly/helpful personnel seem to be kicked it up several notches. The dining area is mixed with the pub with along with several connected dining rooms. Food choices cover a spectrum from upscale pub offerings to contemporary global cuisine. There are a number of vegetarian options available. The hotel is near a path that goes along side the nearby church that is great for taking a scenic run too and along the Thames and a golf club; part road/part trail. It is also easy enough to run or stroll over the Chertsey Bridge and along the Thames past Thorp Park. It is great to have these choices for exercise, since the hotel lacks a fitness center. For those on business, it is a quick and convenient walk into town.

Room Tip: I have stayed in many of the rooms here prior to the renovation. The one in the old attic area is p...
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After visiting thorpe park all day this was the perfect place to go to finish the day off. Every member of staff were polite and helpful and the room was spacious, comfortable and very clean. However, the biggest surprise for me was the pub and restaurant. It was very clean, very comfortable and the food was absolutely amazing. I will definitely remember this place for next time and would recommend it to anybody looking for somewhere to stay in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank upthearsenal
Sian B, General Manager at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you very much for such a lovely review.

We hope to see you again in the very near future and can then thank you in person.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I stayed on a Sunday night whilst visiting family in the local area. First impressions were good . The hotel receptionist was friendly and welcoming .. The room itself was modern and comfortable ...Things started going wrong in the morning , No hot water ....so not able to have a shower, I went to reception to report this and was told " they would investigate " no apology at all !?!? We then decided to go for breakfast, it all looked very nice but absolutely no vegetarian option ( its 2014 ! ) I asked the waitress if they had any vegetarian options , she looked at me blankly and said " she would ask " I decided to have the breakfast minus the sausage and bacon ... so basically had eggs , mushrooms and beans ... As we walked back to the room the receptionist advised that the engineer was looking into the hot water issue and that I could use another room to shower ( still no apology ! ) but at this point it was check out time so I decided not to bother . I understand that things do go wrong but at no point was an apology given ... I don't normally complain but I just felt that the customer service in this hotel is sadly lacking .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and again we are very sorry that you do not believe our receptionist on the morning was apologetic. We have spoken to her re this and she is very confused, as she does believe that the first thing she did was to apologise for the problem with the shower and as you have stated, then offered you another room as the quickest resolution whilst the plumber looked at the problem. Unfortunately there are occasions when equipment may go wrong!

Regarding breakfast
I am unsure if you noticed, but there was a large buffet table with a delicious selection of Muffins, Danish pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, yoghurts etc. and there was also an area where you could have helped yourself to freshly made toast.

Again we apologise if you believe our customer service is lacking, our team are fully committed in providing a great experience for all.

We do hope to see you again in the future and you do not allow the above to reflect in further reservations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chertsey
The Bridge Hotel
The Runnymede on Thames
Oatlands Park Hotel
Oatlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!