“Mortified”

The Olde Swan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Chertsey
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We arrived with high expectations after checking out the web site.we booked in and then out within half an hour. Our room was dirty,smelly,someones pants and socks were in the draws,the tap came off in my hand, i could go on and on.The manager could not care less.. We were up in Surry for a wedding, if we'd have stayed i'dhave turned up smelling like Fag Ash Lil. Would i recommend to a friend, hell no,most certainly to my enemies.!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Olde Swan Hotel

Reviewed 26 July 2010

Our stay at the Olde Swan confirmed my fears from reading other reviews here that this was more Bed & Breakfast accommodation than a proper hotel. Nestling in the heart of Chertsey, the hotel is based inside an characterful oak-beamed building and certainly looked the part when we visited it for a friend's surprise 30th. The party was held in the bar.

The guest rooms are on the first floor, accessed via a locked door from the bar, and vary greatly in size and quality. Ours was small and lacked storage space whereas my brother and his wife, who also stayed over for the party, had a huge room with a four-poster bed. Our room was also missing key necessities - such as soap and a clock - yet it had a portable A/C unit since the windows faced the sun for most of the day. The place is basically clean if a little run-down, with a large pile of expired TVs blocking an disused stairwell and that musty kind of smell you get in older buildings.

The £60 a night we paid wasn't great value really, although it did include a full English breakfast in the bar the next day. Plus points include a quiet car park at the rear of the property and while not exactly a beer garden, there was outside seating under a marquee which was a nice place to be in the warm evening.

If you consider the Olde Swan to be little more than a B&B, then you'll be fine, but while it carries the name Hotel it really needs to lift its game to compete with other establishments in the town or cut its prices.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben W
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I not only found the new fawlty towers but basil too.. This is so not what the website says or looks like. Hotel reception is a bar, staff are like headless chickens, rooms are basic and smell of smoke, hotel manager seems more interested in his friends than his paying guests. He walks around barking orders, but doesn't actually do anything himself and forget the wine list, they didn't have one bottle I asked for off of it. My collegue stayed at the crown the same night, I felt like I got the short straw. Sorry the olde swan but you are not a hotel.. Just a pub with rooms above

Reviewed 1 March 2010

Don't believe the website, the bedrooms are old and dated, poorly equipped, badly heated and forget about double glazing to keep out the traffic noise or the sound of the music from the late night bar below.

Rooms lacked some basic facilities advertised, no desk in one room, no where to make tea or coffee, one iron for the whole hotel and cheap duvets and pillows rather than the luxury promised.

Both rooms I was in had ashtrays and had been smoked in, the smell was evident.

Food wasn't bad but again the website promises more that the burgers, pizza and sandwiches that are on offer.

Breakfast, if you like eating in a pub bar was OK, nothing flash, shame a full English consisted of egg. bacon and beans...

For this kind of money I could have booked Holiday Inn and had some facilities.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2009

I had to stay in Chertsey on a business trip for a few days and looked around at all the hotel options carefully including checking TripAdvisor reviews. This hotel had more good than bad reviews and from the website looked extremely nice.

How wrong I was. The hotel/pub is nothing like as described in most of the reviews nor the interestingly shot photos on the website. It's very tired and reminiscent of the worst style of B&B than you can imagine.

The rooms are serviceable but in no way live up to to photos and descriptions on the website or much of these rooms. Sadly, Smoking is clearly allowed in the rooms through the lingering smell.

The Pub itself downstairs is a fairly run of the mill pub a little tired but fine for a drink or two, but having breakfast in a pub bar in the morning is not particularly enjoyable.

I would personally not stay here again and instead opt for one of the nice looking Guesthouses in the same area.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank darrenj
Reviewed 29 July 2009

In July, i booked my client into The Olde Swan Hotel for the night, as we were travelling together the next day.
He usually books himself into a hotel near Heathrow, but it made sense for him to be in Chertsey for travel arrangements.
Firstly he was dubious, as he has had bad experiences in small hotels, but agreed to the booking.
When i picked him up at 8am the next morning, I had a VERY HAPPY client. The ease at checking in saved him valuable time. He then enjoyed his dinner in the bar area, and found the whole eating/bar experience extremely relaxing.
He stayed in the Windsor room, had nothing but compliments on the facilities in the room, on the comfort of his bed and the general decor.
He has asked me to book him in again next month, and is in fact going to book a room in September at the weekend for his wife.
A very happy client, thank you The Olde Swan Hotel!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2009

My husband and I stayed in this cute little hotel while we attended a wedding locally. The reason we chose it was because of its proximity to Heathrow and the fact that it was very competitively priced for hotels in the area. To be honest, we didn't expect much given the price but we were very pleasantly surprised.
We were greeted by the charming owner, who for the duration of our stay could not do enough for us. He gave us a beautiful en-suite room with a gorgeous four poster style bed (which I couldn't believe given the price). This hotel has real olde worlde charm. It is full of nooks and cranny's and exudes character.
We arrived fairly late on a friday night from Heathrow and were worried about whether we would be able to get something to eat, given we hadn't been organised enough to book a local restaurant prior to our arrival. To our delight the bar does an extensive range of food which was delicious and very reasonably priced.
The staff catered to our every need while we were here. I would defeinitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chertsey
Travelodge Chertsey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Egham
Travelodge Staines
Travelodge Staines
#5 of 5 in Staines

Been to The Olde Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!