“Great value, great location, wonderful hosts.. If you're thinking about it, do it now!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alvey House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newtonmore
Alvey House
Ranked #8 of 14 Newtonmore B&B and Inns
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Had a weekend stay in July and took a bit of a risk having read some of the reviews from last year, but heard it had new owners so thought I'd give it a go.. So glad I did, this place really is a gem.
Hosts are lovely, genuine, full of local knowledge and enthusiasm and clearly love the place and it shows in the way they have restored it and in their warm welcome, nothing is too much trouble.
My room was lovely, clean, modern and an idyllic view over the countryside that makes you unwind just by opening the curtains in the morning.. That and the waft of a fab breakfast had me awake and out exploring far earlier than normal!
Thankyou for looking after me and I'll be back, with a gaggle of friends for a hiking weekend as soon as you can squeeze me in!

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

stayed here during my end to end ride this month, what a gem.Stunning surroundings,so peaceful and the new owner Julie goes out of her way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. If you want breakfast at 4 am, no problem. Our room was spotlessly clean, beautiful décor with an impressive en-suite. I wouldn't hesitate in referring the Alvey to anyone. If your a cyclist like me, then your bikes can be locked securely away for the night, also had banana bread after my days ride( bonus ). you will enjoy it here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Ianjd, Owner at Alvey House, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed staying here. As cyclists we know what we appreciate after a long day on the bike. Well done with your end to end!
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Our first stay at Alvey House with the new owners and we were very impressed with work that they have carried out. The rooms are bright and fresh with quality but more importantly comfortable bedding. The breakfast was cooked to order and an ideal start to a day on the golf course.
Both of the new owners have considerable knowledge of the local area and are only to happy to advise on places to go and routes to walk etc.

Couldn't ask for more.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at Alvey House along with our young daughter in July 2013, and the whole experience was an absolute delight. The new owners have gone to tremendous lengths to modernize the furnishings, but managed to retain the inherent Highland charm of the building that we were so looking forward to. The new owners made us feel incredibly welcome in a relaxed environment, offering friendly service and an in depth knowledge on activities and facilities in the local area. To sum up, my family and I had a wonderful time staying at Alvey House and will be sure to return as soon as city life allows, 10 out of 10 and highly recommended

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
milton of campsie
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I had a great one night stay at Alvey house with brilliant outdoors minded hosts.
A lovely evening meal was made a bit more special with the hosts, Julie & Ian
Joining me in the dining room and imparting their local knowledge of cycle routes.
A good nights sleep in one of the recently refurbished rooms. With a hearty breakfast
the next morning it was time to set off by bike to one of the previously talked about
glens. Julie and Ian allowed me to leave my van on their drive while I was away and
Although I was only there for the one night, they insisted I pop in before I headed home,
for a cuppa. I had a great stay with genuinely hospitable hosts and I'll be recommending
Alvey house to all my cycling friends and I hope to be a regular visitor here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
IJD9025, Owner at Alvey House, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you for your kind review Craighead. There are dozens of cycling routes from Alvey, for mountain bikes and road bikes. We hope to see you again soon.
Glasgow
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We had a fabulous time here! This hotel was taken over by new owners in the Spring of 2013 and it is going from strength to strength. I stayed in a beautifully decorated room, with a fabulous cosy goose-down duvet, lovely new en-suite and a great view of the Highlands. I took a group of university students for a weekend and we had a fabulous time - great food, very knowledgeable hosts in Julie & Ian who spent time chatting to us, advising on walks and outdoor activities, and we had great meals - hearty cooked breakfasts, lovely packed lunches and home-cooked evening meals at the weekend. All our dietary requirements including gluten-free, vegetarian etc were catered for really well. We enjoyed the wee on-site bar and sitting by the fire in the residents' lounge. Most of all it is cosy, welcoming, friendly and a home from home - I will definitely be going back again - a great base for walking, cycling, enjoying the outdoors, or just relaxing - can't recommend it highly enough - and importantly, great value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just back from my third stay at alvey house since the new owners have taken over. Love staying here. Rooms are comfortable and clean, breakfast is good. Hosts are lovely and can't do enough to help. Location and views are ideal and beautiful. Home from home :-)

• Stayed August 2013