“Fun with kids”

Ranked #8 of 10 things to do in Newtonmore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We made glass coasters with Anne at a one off workshop she had created for us when we were passing through Newtonmore. The idea was quite simple, with square glass bases and we added different pieces and strips of glass and glass crumbs etc. she had a great range of resources and with her advice we created some lovely pieces. The boys really enjoyed it and interestingly their coasters were better than ours! All very pretty and we use them all the time, a lovely thing to take home and be proud that you have made.

2  Thank Sarah00056

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I was inspired to get in touch with Anne as a potential first tutor for my glass fusing hobby after viewing her wonderful pieces at a local art gallery. After a trepidatious e mail from me enquiring as to any potential workshops she may have planned, i received a speedy, warm and friendly reply from Anne asking me what my requirements may be, that she didnt have any workshops planned but would be willing to offer me a days tuition. She ascertained my requirements for the day and after I explained to Anne that I had purchased a kiln for Christmas and that I was a complete novice who had never even cut a piece of glass before, she then devised a training day that suited my requirements. I arrived at her lovely shop in Newtonmore and was met by a warm and friendly Anne who made me feel at home immediately with a start of coffee and biscuits and an chat about what I hoped to learn from the day. The session started with an explanation of Glass types and fusing methods and a health and safety lesson on using glass. We then had a cutting session and with much laughter I managed to cut a straight piece of glass, she also showed me how to cut wavy glass and how circles were produced. All the the tools and materials were provided by Anne. I then made a coaster using fibre wool and firing paint which was great fun, then another talk about fusing times and the kiln. Then it was time for lunch. The afternoon was as much fun as the morning and I made another coaster, this time using confetti and opaque glass and a pendant with dichroic glass. I would have been able to make anything in the afternoon session as all the glass and materials were at my disposal to use as I wish with Anne being on hand to answer my never ending stream of questions, and provide tuition and advice which she did with much patience. All too soon it was time to leave, but not before I was able to purchase some glass to be able to start on my own projects straight away. In all I had a fantastic time and learnt enough to have the confidence to start on my own projects at home. The handouts that were provided have been a very useful source of reference and I still marvel at the three pieces of work that Anne sent me after the workshop once they had been fired. I am eager to join Anne again for a days workshop to learn more from her in her lovely shop and I am grateful for her arranging one to one tuition, even though she didn't have a scheduled workshop planned until this year. I would highly recommend her as a tutor and also a visit to her shop, Fused and Light to delight in her wonderful works of art.

2  Thank Tracey S