“Short Break”
Review of Highlander Hotel

Highlander Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newtonmore
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just back from a lovely few days in this hotel We found everything to be very good from the staff to the rooms and the food was excellent. The whole little town was very friendly and people helpful. Would return here again without a doubt. Many thanks to all.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sherman1130
Cynthia R, General Manager at Highlander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We went on a coach and train holiday with two of our friends, following our renewal of vows on our golden wedding. Scotland was lovely and the holiday made even more so by the hotel. The staff gave very good service during meals and the rooms were comfortable and cleaned every day. Cynthia thank you for making our very special week even more special.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Cynthia R, General Manager at Highlander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent holiday with us. We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your experience here at the Highlander added to the celebrations of what was such a special occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 51st anniversary if not before!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I went here on 30th and 31st of May for our 8th wedding anniversary. We went using a big deal voucher which was £99 for 2 nights B&B with dinner on first night and a bottle of wine in our room on arrival. When we arrived it only took 2 mins to sign in, no credit card was taken as with other hotels. We got our keys went to room and it was brilliant with nice bottle of wine waiting on us. The room itself was a family room with 1 double and 2 single beds which was really big, the decor was not brilliant but what do you expect with a 3 star hotel. Lots of towels in the room, nice and clean. The bathroom was a little dated but again clean. Went down to dinner and had pate to start very nice, had turkey,leek & bacon pie and wow it was amazing best turkey pie ever. They had dessert trolley with an amazing trifle. Staff were lovely very pleasant always saying hello and how are you. Food was so good we booked in for 3 course dinner the second night for just £15 each. Now unfortunately the negatives, the drink is expensive a bottle of cider was £5, bottle of house rose £17 so we drunk in the pub up the street. Found hair in my dinner but had something new to eat within 5 min. David spilled some of his chocolate mousse on the table at dinner on the first night and when we got up for breakfast the next day the tablecloth had not been changed.
I would recommend you to go hear if you want a really nice break with happy staff, nice food but drink up the street.
Sorry one more thing the bed was so comfy better than some 5 star hotels I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you are looking for as they are very accommodating.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank docherty50

Thank you for posting review following your recent weekend stay with us, we were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your short break with us and I do hope that you will be able to make a return trip soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

we stayed here for three nights in a tour group. our room was very clean and functionally furnished. tea/coffee making facility was provided. The floor in the bathroom creaked loudly..not a problem unless trying not to wake friend in night !!! a choice of menu was provided as dinner and breakfast included in our tour. Meals were excellent value and generous portions the dessert trolley was hard to resist with a good selection of home made delicious.desserts.All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Cynthia R, General Manager at Highlander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your short break with us and hope that you will have opportunity of making a return visit in the future.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

First of all, I am rating the hotel very good for it's location. Newtonmore is a beautiful area. I enjoyed the nearby Folk Museum immensely and wish I had had more time to spend there (deserves 2-3 hours at least). I enjoyed taking an early morning run thru town and over to the golf course with its wonderful views of the mountains. Having a market nearby is always a plus for travelers like myself who like to stock up on items for a picnic lunch for the following day. I was traveling with a tour group and I thought the dinner was the best that I had on the tour and most agreed with me. I wish I could remember what I ordered, fish? Anyway it was good. The breakfast was ok, some people ordered different from the menu, I should have too, as plain cereal or oatmeal with fruit would have been fine for me, instead of eggs and sausage. Service was excellent for both meals. There is no wifi in the rooms, but there is a very nice lounge which was just fine. The rooms were dated, but as it was clean and certainly much better than what I have paid $100 for in some places in the US, I have no complaints. My room looked out over the parking area but was very quiet, most of the noise comes from the older doors which you have to shut hard and double check to lock with a key. I did not hear any noise during my stay. If you want to take a small walk in the area, check out the Folk Museum, admission was free and there is a walking trail thru the woods.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank mrmisrule
Cynthia R, General Manager at Highlander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Many thanks for posting your review following your recent stay with. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will be able to make a return trip to Scotland in the near future.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago on our way up to the Highlands (allows us to extend our break without doing all the driving in one go). I investigated prices of various hotels in the area prior to going and considering we paid £89 B&B with dinner on the first night (oh... and the bottle of bubbly [sparkling perry]) it would have been double that for one night elsewhere!
We got a room in the separate block at the back with a huge bed and renovated bathroom which was perfectly adequate and comfortable. Must say though that people are right about the noise from rooms above as well as next door neighbours but it didn't bother us too much.
The dinner on the fist night was from a set menu with a fairly good choice of starters and main meals with the option of money off if you chose something from the main menu. The food was good and I loved the dessert trolley with a choice of approx. 6 different sweets (agree that some kind of chilled unit or at least cover would improve this though). All staff were very friendly and co-operative - we were only given 1 sachet of coffee each in the room so asked for more and were given a small bag full of coffee, sugar and milk no problems.
Hotel is ideally located for walks and outdoor activities in the area, we went mountain biking at Laggan (good trails). we were also encouraged to try the free Highland Folk Museum up the road by the lady at reception which we weren't too bothered about doing but actually really enjoyed it and spent more time there than thought - hands up to the team there; it's a great little outdoor museum set up.
All in all we really enjoyed the area and the hotel and would definitely stay here again for the price (unless hotel prices in Aviemore dropped a bit!)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Carrell1977

Thank you for your positive review - we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at this Hotel and they should be ashamed to put guests into rooms with bathrooms that are so dirty. The rooms are tired and in need of a makeover but that's ok if its cared for. The wall and ceiling paper were coming down. I have never stayed anywhere at any price that fell so far below the basic standards of cleanliness and hygiene. Our toilet did not flush for 3 days and we were offered a drink be way of apology on day 3 we declined the drink. It would have done nothing to make up for trying to keep it clear with the kettle.
Reading the opposite reviews I question how often they can have been to 3 star Hotel, let alone suggest that this comes close to 4 star. This was my first time in beautiful Scotland can it be that is what we can expect wherever we stay here ?
Our food was average with a good desert trolley, the seasonal young foreign staff where great, very friendly. The nice sitting room was a saving grace, as we could escape sitting in the room. This was a Gold Coach Holiday, another first for us and they to have to answer for putting us in this place for 5 dreadful nights.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms to my knowledge
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jacqueline B
Cynthia R, General Manager at Highlander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

We were shocked to read your review. On arrival you asked for a brighter room than you had been originally allocated and you were happy to accept this room for the entirety of your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtonmore
Balavil Hotel
#2 of 4 in Kingussie
Carrbridge Hotel
Carrbridge Hotel
#3 of 3 in Carrbridge

Been to Highlander Hotel? Share your experiences!