“Retro Chic”
Review of Highlander Hotel

Highlander Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newtonmore
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Extremely good value for money. Very helpful staff.

Reviewed 28 February 2010

This was a short notice break and, knowing the standard of Oxford Inns & Hotels, I elected to book this hotel.

Very organised & professional while managing to keep a friendly atmosphere. I really appreciated the layout of the hotel with the public areas in one block and the bedrooms in other block(s). It means that those wishing to enjoy the entertainment can do so and those who are tired can sleep without interruptions.

The lounge was comfortable and spacious set around a fireplace.

The food was good quality in good sized portions with a fair choice.

The bedrooms were very clean and I really liked the layout where the bathrooms actually had a window to allow air in.

There was a slight mix-up with our payment and this was sorted out very quickly and efficiently.

Definitely a hotel I will stay in whenever I need accommodation in this region. (think this is the first time I've ever given ****** )

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2010

We were origionally booked into a hotel called Macdonalds resort and had to drop off our ski equipment off at The Highlander only to find that we were stranded there due to heavy snow fall. The staff at the highlander organised a light snack for myself and a friend which we were very gratefull for. We booked into the hotel for the night and found it was extremely worth the money. Very dated but a very very friendly atmosphere. In the one night we stayed here we had good banter with the staff compaired to the Macdonalds where you felt the staff just were not really bothered. I like the friendly homely atmosphere and joking on with the staff. They kept us informed of the conditions on the A9 so we were able to return home. If I was up that way again I would definatley book in again. The staff made our stay enjoyable. Thank you to you all!!!!!!

Reviewed 18 February 2010

My friend and myself booked a last minute skiing trip at Aviemore, staying at the Highlander, for two days over this half-term and a great time was had by all! The hotel deal represents fantastic value, the service is superb and the location really handy for Aviemore. The closest hotel to the ski slopes is probably The Hilton and while the Highlander is certainly no Hilton, it served its purpose excellently for our needs - two adults with three children between us. The hotel has a warm, welcoming atmosphere and exudes old-world charm. The reception, dining room and lounge are all in one block with two (or three?) other blocks for bedrooms which is fine, but it was a little shivery walking from the snuggly main block to the bedroom-block late at night in the snow. However, the rooms were nearly too warm for my liking and I had to turn the radiators down - but it was good to be able to do that. The kids were in a triple room while we had a next door twin which was convenient. The rooms are a good size and the headboards have those built-in radio units popular decades ago! Some of the bulbs in the reading lamps attached to the headboards didn't work, but I didn't even get around to telling the reception staff because we weren't in the rooms enough for it to hassle us. Although the en-suites are genuinely kitted out in the original avacado (you couldn't make it up) they are squeaky clean with lovely, cozy heated towel rails. Our package consisted of three dinners with bed and breakfast - the meals were great and totally in keeping with the whole 70's vibe of the place: I haven't seen a sweet-trolly for years. Deserts like sherry trifle and choclate gateau really brought my tastebuds on a trip down memory lane! After a day on the slopes the three course dinner was thoroughly welcomed and even the kids' portions were of a very decent size with loads of choice. The tinned carrots were probably a mistake though and I wondered how they had landed on my plate as it can't really be too difficult to get hold of fresh veg even all the way up the A9, can it? There's a decent-ish wine list and the prices are decent too. Huge, comfy couches are dotted around the lounge area - perfect for post-dinner slumping - with lots of board games and books. We played charades and Dingbats to much hilarity. There was a guy playing an electric accordian in the dining room during and after dinner one night which I, personally, could have done without, but since we moved into the lounge we didn't have to listen too long - the entertainment was probably the one 70's throwback I could have done without. The only slight complaint that we had was that it would have been good to soak in a hot bath after skiing and the showers in the rooms were a bit antiquated with not enough power from the miniscule shower-heads. Perfectly adequate under normaly circumstances, but after a hard day's graft outside, more pressure in the water would have been appreciated. We had booked through Ski Norwest who organised ski passes and equipment hire for us. My one piece of advice would be to make sure that there is equipment hire available as it runs out all over the resort very early in the morning. Overall, this hotel is great and I will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Oxford hotels tend to offer a great price via their own website, and i must say at £40 a Night B & B , it was great value. We have stayed in various oxford hotels and they all offer great value- 4 star they are not, but I would totally recommend this hotel and a month later i am booking a room again for 3 nights and it is only £30 b & b a night.

You can not go wrong

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Great friendly service.

Clean Rooms

Good food

Free Wifi in lounge

Reviewed 13 January 2010

We were on a tour with Robbie of Insight Tours and stayed here our first night out of the "city." What a great relief to be out in the country! We were comfortable, happy and well fed at your establishment. It is not the fanciest of places, but it was just fine! And everyone should go see Neil Ross and his wonderful dogs at the Leault Farm! Thanks!

• Stayed: August 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtonmore
Balavil Hotel
#2 of 4 in Kingussie
Carrbridge Hotel
Carrbridge Hotel
#3 of 3 in Carrbridge

Been to Highlander Hotel? Share your experiences!