“great customer service and excellent food!!”
Review of The Glen Hotel

The Glen Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newtonmore
edinburgh
“great customer service and excellent food!!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here for one night, the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We had dinner in the hotel which was excellent-I especially enjoyed the fish pie. All the staff were very friendly and polite, would definetly stay again if in the area, just to sample the food again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Grayshott, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Kim, Chris and David made us feel very welcome. Last month I decided I'd take my son and his friend skiing in Aviemore. I phoned the Glen Hotel and Kim was very kind and helpful in allowing me to reserve a room over the phone. She had a very professional and friendly manner about her which was great.

We arrived at 16:45 on the Tuesday - the location of the hotel was a blessing - fairly central to all major ski resorts in the Cairngorms! We were shown to our rooms by David. These were kept very neat and tidy during our stay ... no views of mountains - but extremely warm and comfortable nonetheless. There was a TV in each room with a choice of 12 channels if I remember rightly. Importantly, in the bathroom - the water was always lovely and hot ...which was a relief after skiing!

We ate in the Hotel restaurant every night - the food was very, very good (especially the clapshot and haggis) and the Beer was EXCELLENT - try the Winter Flurry - it's wonderful! Service was always fantastic at the bar, I especially appreciated the fact that Chris is an expert on beers and a connaisseur of whiskys. I overheard him explaining to some tourists about the reason for the spelling of whisk(e)y with and without the 'e'. I won't give this secret away here - you'll have to pay Chris a visit yourself over at the Glen to find out .. !! Breakfast did not disappoint either ... most mornings we chose the table by the old Grandfather Clock and enjoyed a selection of 'Full Scottish Breakfast' (David reminded me that they didn't serve a 'Full English' - it was 'Full Scottish' or nothing !!) , kippers, or a vegetarian option - I think there was also a continental option? A choice of tea or coffee was also provided. They had the usual cereal for the kids. Another bonus: if you did not want to have breakfast, then there was an offer of a packed lunch as an alternative. I especially wanted to take this option on my last morning because we wanted to leave early ... (we had a long journey ahead of us ... ) I correctly placed my order the evening before and it was duly noted. The staff kindly offered to leave the food on the reception counter ready for the morning. I explained to Chris that this would be great as I didn't relish the thought of paying motorway prices for lunch!! So up we got on Sunday morning, but shock, horror, alas no sandwiches - no sign of a packed lunch, (not even a sausage)!!! I won't hold this minor oversight against the Glen, but I found it a little irritating (not moaning, just being honest and impartial) that the staff could be very accommodating on the one hand but forget our sandwiches on the day that we needed them the most - I'm sure it wasn't intentional - but I had to pay Motorway Service prices for lunch. Above all we had a very pleasant and enjoyable stay, met some nice people into the bargain ... and I'd love to stay there again - it was great!

Room Tip: Both mine and my son's room were fine and on opposite sides of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

spent 1 night at this hotel, the staff was really friendly and the room was also very comfortable
had dinner here too and i highly recommend their dinner service
breakfast was very nice too
for those visiting Newtonmore, don't miss the Wild Cat trail...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We ate at the Glen twice and also attended their quiz night. Loved everything we ate especially the Arbroath Smoky Fishcakes and the Black Pudding starters. The children's menu was great just smaller versions of the adult meals and not the usual nuggets and fish fingers. The staff were brilliant, really friendly and courteous. Couldn't fault anything at all.
Go go Castleford Tigers!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,243 helpful votes
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had dinner here and were well impressed with the amount of choice on the menu. The lamb shank was delicious and the fajitas were very nice too. Prices were reasonable. The staff were extremely friendly. I would definitely recommend it- great choice and good, decent priced food,

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank champkis
Ilford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

A pleasant friendly pub, with a good range of drinks. Had a great time there at Hogmanay! They have quiz nights fairly often which were good fun. The staff are friendly and chatty. A more traditional pub in Newtonmore than Braeriach.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Simon P
Fortrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Pleasant service, good communication and comfortable room for the price. Food overall not such good value but convenient. Good location and lively bar with decent beers. Room heating not easily adjustible.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtonmore
Highlander Hotel
The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
Dalrachney Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Carrbridge

Been to The Glen Hotel? Share your experiences!