“DISAPPOINTED”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newtonmore
Skelmorlie
“DISAPPOINTED”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Both the bathroom and bedroom (with the exception of the kettle) were very clean. There was a array of refreshments on a tray and clear precise instructions as to how to operate the small flat screen T.V.
I dined with the rest of my party in the bar where a large blackboard displayed the menu and featured special dishes.The homemade dishes were tasty ( if a little overpriced, as was the wine ).
After a fitful sleep (partly due to traffic noise and smokers congregated outside the front entrance to the hotel) we enjoyed a well cooked breakfast-the thick-cut bacon was delicious. The breakfast service was a little slow and several items were not available ( such as the muffins).
Though the locals were friendly, rather than enhance my visit to the Highlands the staff seemed disinterested in the residents and what brought them to the area.I was made to feel uncomfortable when checking in even though it was pointed out that 2 nights were booked and a deposit paid by credit card on the hotel's own web site some considerable time in advance of our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face on to the main road
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Badenochtraveller, Manager at The Glen Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
We are sorry to see that this reviewer has chosen to join her husband/partner and friend in a crusade against The Glen. Please see the reviews below 'Not made welcome' and 'No Hospitality'.
it is interesting that six weeks later she has chosen to criticise points neither of the previous reviewers even touched upon?
We can only ask readers to compare this one parties opinion in comparison with over 100 excellent or good reviews here and a similar amount under our restaurant entry.
One point that we feel compelled to correct, touched upon in this review and also mentioned in her husbands review, is the procedure at check in.
The guests HAD booked two one night stays with ourselves separated by a few days. The first booking was made through a third party booking agent. NO DEPOSIT WAS REQUIRED but the booking agent CLEARLY states that the individual property reserves the right to pre authorise the card either prior to, or upon arrival. This is why we required to 'swipe' the card when the guests arrived. NOT pre payment but simply confirming the validity of the card. (It may be surprising to some readers to know that we occasionally have guests arrive with either out of date cards or insufficient funds to cover the amount of their stay). This helps to avoid any embarrassment upon checking out.
The second stay, some nights later, was made direct through our own website, a deposit had been paid and no pre authorisation was required.
Naturally, because the bookings had been made independent of each other no connection was made on our booking system.
No need to feel 'uncomfortable' for any reason, just a standard hotel check in.
We hope that readers of this review will appreciate that we strive to provide a comfortable and enjoyable stay for all our guests and that for some reason, unknown to ourselves, things appear to have gone horribly wrong with this party of three.
We only wish that they had chosen to discuss their issues during their stay when we would have hopefully had the opportunity to rectify problems to their satisfaction, avoiding this unfortunate exchange of words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on spec one night in April.

The rooms were spacious and clean, the bed was HUGE and very comfortable. Only small criticism was there was no bath.

The owner/manager was very helpful letting us know about the area.

A nice well stocked bar and delicious breakfast too.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Travellingnuts
aberdeen
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We were passing through and stopped for lunch. This was absolutely lovely! Chunky veg soup and ham sandwiches - lovely thick soup full of a variety of veg and delicious sandwiches on very fresh wholemeal bread served by very pleasant staff member.
And a nice touch we noted - late comers arrived 20 minutes after lunch finished but were quickly assured that that they would serve them soup and sandwiches. More than some establishments would do.

1 Thank cecaberdeen
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I was one of the party of three who stayed on 11th March and it is apparent that the management team have watched too much of "Gone with the wind" as ....frankly, they do not give a damn, as witnessed by the reply to the comments by BarnacleScotland, whose comments I support totally. I cannot recommend this hotel and think the owners/managers need to seek advice from customer care advisers.

The room I had was very clean and tidy, the food in the bar was good, the views were pleasant but the beer choice was disappointing for a Scottish local pub. I was kept awake on the first night by the smoke alarm "low battery" warning ... obviously not one manager had "walked the floors" for days. Poor customer care and no attempt to make their guests feel welcome or appreciated.

Overall a poor choice to stay in the area...best avoided, especially if arriving/departing by rail and in the rain...very exposed!

Room Tip: .The rooms were tidy and very clean, shower room was well appointed with adequate towels etc. report...
1 Thank bazzacroot
Badenochtraveller, Owner at The Glen Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
I don't believe that Trip Advisor is the appropriate platform to get into petty arguments and it is such a pity that this reviewer and his friend did not have the social ability to voice their concerns whilst they were at our establishment. There was plenty of time to do so,especially as I kept the bar open late for this reviewer to sample our range of malt whiskies.
I find it most interesting that he has failed to address any of our alleged inaccuracies in is friends review. Perhaps this is because, like Gone With The Wind, it is a great work of fiction!
Scotland
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Three of us travelled from Wemyss Bay North Ayrshire to The Glen Hotel Newtonmore on Tuesday 11th March as part of a rail journey to the Kyle of Lochalsh.
Our accommodation was booked in advance with written confirmation received and deposit paid. This hotel is a small country establishment with its foot planted firmly on the Scottish 'tourist trail' being fairly local to Aviemore and Inverness.

So, what do you get for your money at The Glen Hotel? Well, you will get a clean, tidy and warm room and you can sample pleasent food served in the bar.
What you will certainly not get is a friendly greeting or any other variety of highland hospitality.

When we checked in at reception there ensued a long harangue as to how we should pay for our accommodation and a credit card was demanded and swiped. The fact that we had already paid a deposit and booked in advance seemed to make no difference at all. Wi-fi charged at £1 for fifteen minutes. A game of pool charged at twice the going rate just sums up this place.

On our second night we decided to dress for dinner and I wore my Kilt. While waiting to place a drinks order at the bar the chap serving behind the bar managed to knock over a full pint of beer and half the contents landed on me. It was simply an accident but what astonished me was that the guy responsible for this laughed while announcing to the people standing at the bar saying "sorry, we dont usually throw beer over our customers". I was horrified and walked away from him without saying a word. No further apology was made or enquiry into any damage done.

Finally when checking out the next day the hotel had a £40 overcharge on our bill and we had to show documentary evidence to prove their error. So if you choose to use this establishment ladies and gentlemen check your billing very carefully.

To sum up, 'The Glen' according to the staff is popular with locals for bar meals but would we stay there again or recommend it to others? The answer is an emphatic no! I am sure that you could do so much better at the nearby Aviemore.

1 Thank BarnacleScotland
edinburgh
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here for one night, the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We had dinner in the hotel which was excellent-I especially enjoyed the fish pie. All the staff were very friendly and polite, would definetly stay again if in the area, just to sample the food again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Grayshott, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Kim, Chris and David made us feel very welcome. Last month I decided I'd take my son and his friend skiing in Aviemore. I phoned the Glen Hotel and Kim was very kind and helpful in allowing me to reserve a room over the phone. She had a very professional and friendly manner about her which was great.

We arrived at 16:45 on the Tuesday - the location of the hotel was a blessing - fairly central to all major ski resorts in the Cairngorms! We were shown to our rooms by David. These were kept very neat and tidy during our stay ... no views of mountains - but extremely warm and comfortable nonetheless. There was a TV in each room with a choice of 12 channels if I remember rightly. Importantly, in the bathroom - the water was always lovely and hot ...which was a relief after skiing!

We ate in the Hotel restaurant every night - the food was very, very good (especially the clapshot and haggis) and the Beer was EXCELLENT - try the Winter Flurry - it's wonderful! Service was always fantastic at the bar, I especially appreciated the fact that Chris is an expert on beers and a connaisseur of whiskys. I overheard him explaining to some tourists about the reason for the spelling of whisk(e)y with and without the 'e'. I won't give this secret away here - you'll have to pay Chris a visit yourself over at the Glen to find out .. !! Breakfast did not disappoint either ... most mornings we chose the table by the old Grandfather Clock and enjoyed a selection of 'Full Scottish Breakfast' (David reminded me that they didn't serve a 'Full English' - it was 'Full Scottish' or nothing !!) , kippers, or a vegetarian option - I think there was also a continental option? A choice of tea or coffee was also provided. They had the usual cereal for the kids. Another bonus: if you did not want to have breakfast, then there was an offer of a packed lunch as an alternative. I especially wanted to take this option on my last morning because we wanted to leave early ... (we had a long journey ahead of us ... ) I correctly placed my order the evening before and it was duly noted. The staff kindly offered to leave the food on the reception counter ready for the morning. I explained to Chris that this would be great as I didn't relish the thought of paying motorway prices for lunch!! So up we got on Sunday morning, but shock, horror, alas no sandwiches - no sign of a packed lunch, (not even a sausage)!!! I won't hold this minor oversight against the Glen, but I found it a little irritating (not moaning, just being honest and impartial) that the staff could be very accommodating on the one hand but forget our sandwiches on the day that we needed them the most - I'm sure it wasn't intentional - but I had to pay Motorway Service prices for lunch. Above all we had a very pleasant and enjoyable stay, met some nice people into the bargain ... and I'd love to stay there again - it was great!

Room Tip: Both mine and my son's room were fine and on opposite sides of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtonmore
Highlander Hotel
Cairngorm Hotel
Cairngorm Hotel
#2 of 11 in Aviemore
The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to The Glen Hotel? Share your experiences!