“Nice but lots of room for improvement”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Ensenachos
Iberostar Ensenachos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cayo Ensenachos
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Went with 18 yr old daughter and was stuck in family bungalows with screaming kids and noisy upstairs neighbors at all hours. Buffet food was really good and selection/taste was outstanding. Food in most restaurants okay, except the Italian which was dreadful. No wireless Internet and 30 mins on their slow system is 6 CUC. Staff very friendly and appreciative of all little gifts we brought. Cleaning staff never re-filed water/pop consumed in mini fridge, nor bathroom items. Giant cockroach in bathroom last day there. During checkout reception could not even crack a smile or extend appreciation for staying there. Airport is 1 hr bus ride away. Recommend this resort for young families but next time I will book adults only.

Room Tip: Ensure you are not in kids' area if you are traveling without small children.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Vesper7
Stefano B, General Manager at Iberostar Ensenachos, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review. We are in the process of acquiring wireless internet for the lobby areas but am not sure yet how much faster it will be. I apologize for these issues that you encountered with your minibar and check out service and will be speaking with the people responsible to make sure that this is dealt with. I hope you were able to enjoy yourselves and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Stefano Baratelli

Write a ReviewReviews (5,446)

Reviewed 5 April 2012

My wife and another couple went to Iberostar Ensenachos last week in February. Weather was perfect room very compfortable we stayed in the Spa Section, I would highly recommend it. Very quiet no kids allowed ( not that I dont like kids just not on my holiday )
Al la cart meals were all good Buffet was good if you had items grilled individually they have a good selection of chicken pork sometimes shrimp and lobster beef was a little tuff.
I found the prepared items on the buffet not all that good but we never went hungry for sure.

They have a nice outdoor pool side restraunt that had really good caesar salad steak sandwhiches( this beef was good) and calamari. Had that quite a few times.

Pool is nice warm and most of all quiet.
We went down to the beach but found it really crowded found out later there is a much larger one further away by the seafood resteraunt but we never ventured down there :( seemed content to stay at our own pool

Went out on the Hobi Cat that was a blast you can get that right down at the beach.

Drinks were good and plentiful never had to wait at all great service at the bars and by the pool.

Nightly entertainment was also enjoyable.

i guess my only complaint would be the lineups at the bank to exchange money and for the al a cart restraunts.

spoke to a couple of people that had some other issues but we were well looked after.

We took a trip to Trinidad one day ,wouldnt do that again really long day drive and it was a day away from the relaxing that we came down for. Found the food on the tour ( which was included poor at best.

All in all I would recommend this place for couples that want some relaxing or I guess even families in the park suite section ( which we stayed away from )

Room Tip: SPA section for sure
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This was my first trip to Cuba, I travelled with 2 others which had been to Cuba before. We stayed here from March 24 - 31. Upon arrival at 12 noon, we checked in but our rooms were not ready which we understood.
The rooms, lobby area and the grounds are absolutely beautiful - this deserves a 5 star!
The pools are very nice as well. There are 2 beaches, we enjoyed the Ensenachos beach; there is more of a breeze there and less kids. The sunset is gorgeous at this beach!!
Just like all the other reviews there is a lot of walking at this resort as everything is spread out. We stayed at the park villas which were close to the Megano beach and the pool in the park villa section. The park villas are exactly the same as the spa villas except there are no children allowed in the spa villas. The spa villas has 2 pools one is the spa pool which is total serenity but we only saw this section when we took a tour around the resort. The other end of the resort is the Royal Suites which you are not allowed to enter unless you are staying there or have reservations at the Colonial Gourmet restaurant which costs 25pesos extra per person. We ate there one evening but we were not impressed at all. We entered the restaurant and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop; very uncomfortable feeling. Also thought I would mention that if you like walking up and down the beach; when walking along the Ensenachos beach when approaching the Royal suites section part of the beach (it will be a ways down) there are completely NUDE sunbathers!
It was quite apparent during our stay that the resort is suffering from the transition of an all adult resort to a family resort for the following reasons:
- didn't have enough fresh towels to supply the guests. (we didn't get fresh clean towels in our room for 2 days in a row!
- running out of food at the buffet (didn't have bread to make toast 2 days in a row)
- staff could not keep up with replenishing the food at the buffet. (had to keep asking if there were more bananas & lots of empty platters all the time)
- staff could not keep up with clearing the tables for new guests to sit down
Also upon arriving we booked our A la Carte restaurants and it was very difficult to get reservations as they kept telling us that they were completely booked but then as we walked by the restaurants there were lots of empty tables. We figured out that they don't have enough staff to accomodate all the guests. We were also told that the resort had never reached it's maximum capacity of guests before until that week. We dealt with Maylin at the lobby and she is absolutely wonderful; thank you!
Pros - beautiful beach & pool area; favourite a la carte restaurant (Italian); great entertainment at the pool and the beach. Special hello to Lester at the pool and Pedro at the Ensenachos beach; thanks for the Salsa lessons!! Rooms were cleaned very well everday (our maid was wonderful); evening entertainment (disco, orchestra which performed one evening in the lobby and the cirque style show)
Cons - very spread out, always having to get out of the way for a golf cart going by (maybe they should make the pathways one way or make a separate pathway for the carts?
Buffet could be better, need more staff; need a 24 hour snack bar (snack bars by the pool close at 5pm to get ready for dinner); need more selection on the menus; Nightly entertainment could be better (we went to the theater show every evening and the only show that impressed me was the cirque style show all the rest of them put us to sleep and they were all very repetitive.
We started to see improvements as the week progressed so I can see this resort getting better in time.
Would I go back? Yes, for a good price and to see my Cuban friends :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank FP7020

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back soon and change your mind about the services that we have to offer. We are constantly working on improving and every comment and suggestion helps us to achieve this goal. Thank you again and please do not hesitate to contact me should you need anything on your next stay.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Back to Cayo Ensenachos after a 4 year absence…I can say without question that we won’t wait that long before our next visit. In fact, we’re already thinking about November/December! Having closed a cliff-hanger real estate deal just hours before we left, our mandate was to do as little as possible, and just totally relax...we are very happy to say 'mission accomplished'!!!
I’ll try and compare/contrast similarities and differences and the things that make this place so special to us!

**Rooms**
Stayed in Bungalow 33 on the Park Suites side – 2nd floor – corner room. As with the first time, we never saw another soul that was staying in our building the entire time we were there, with the exception of a short power outage that brought most guests out onto the interior balconies to see what was going on. Our room was nearly identical to our prior room, but with updated bedspreads and curtains (see photo) Everything was in good working order, and in good repair. We did have the DVD player and surround sound, but did not have a coffee maker (we never use it anyways) Housekeeping was very well done. MAKE SURE TO USE THE FEATHERBED!!! We had 2 doubles which we elected to push together rather than switch rooms, and I had one under me, and one overtop as a duvet…henceforth referred to as my ‘envelope of happiness’!! No issues with lack of hot water, AC, or musty smells.

**Grounds**
By far the most beautiful we’ve EVER, EVER, EVER seen!!! All of the vegetation has matured, and grown up so much that most of the buildings are obscured by the trees, and it seems like you’re just in a tropical garden, rather than a huge resort complex. The pool areas are phenomenal looking, just like a perfect tropical oasis! The pride of workmanship by the gardening team is evident, and they are all friendly, and very hardworking. Some maintenance is required…there are some signs of wear and tear, which is to be expected, as well as some signs of guests doing damage (broken path lights – apparently some kids/teens were kicking these!) but we also saw ongoing maintenance while we were there, so I’m sure it will be done in good time. Archery area being constructed near the old ‘plant nursery’ area – we saw good progress on this while we were there. Looks like a new nursery area is being set up behind buildings 33/34.

**‘Areas’ **
Ok, this is my sub-category for a facet of this resort that makes me love it even more!! There are so many different options of ‘scenes’ you could choose depending on your mood!
* Park Suites Pool & Water Park – lots of families and couples there, good animation activities, and music, not too obtrusive, although seemed to increase towards the end of the day.
*Adult (Spa Side) Main pool – beautiful, and fairly quiet (better loungers too!!) great bartenders (ADONIS!!!!!) and some low key Latin music playing. We saw a volleyball game going on one day, but nothing raucous. A good place to meet friends, chat, or just veg out! We noticed a pair of young teens (brother and sister around 13-15ish) came over one afternoon, and started playing catch in the pool. The ‘lounger’ guy went over within minutes and politely asked them to leave. I did not notice any ‘adults only’ signs, so they probably didn’t realize. They left without incident. LOOOVE the heated jacuzzi! So nice in the early morning, or late afternoon. We absolutely loved hanging out here.
*Spa Pool (by this, I mean the actual small pool adjacent to the Spa) TOTAL quiet…no music, no bar, no talking… this is so secluded by the vegetation you almost don’t even know it’s there! (access via a footpath at the top of the main adult pool, or across the bridge to the spa, and hang a hard left!)
*Playa Megano - Left side, families, snorkelers, etc.....Right side, animation, loungers, and further down, a more 'remote' experience with a single line of well spaced loungers. Loads of people walking down to the end near the channel too. Great bar and chair service. Snack bar up but not completed. No sign of work being done while we were there. Will be great when it's done!
*Playa Ensenachos - here is where I noticed a HUUUGE difference! In the past, this was, in essence a deserted beach...no loungers (except a few at the Villas end) and rarely more than a handful of people. We were a little saddened to see it so built up, however still enjoyed our time there. I thought I read somewhere that kids were only allowed on Megano beach, but this was not the case, although there were some 'naturalists' in this area on 1 day. (some topless on Megano - but it was the Full Monty on Ensenachos!) We had great service at the beach bar, and chair side as well.
*Lobby - again, lots of different 'zones' for relaxing, chatting, playing cards, dancing, people watching etc.
Overall, we really felt that there was something for everyone, and enjoyed a wide variety of places to hang out and relax all week!

**Food**
Everyone wants to know about the food....in short, it was very good. Some things were excellent, some just 'good'. Some things we really liked: A'la Carte lunch menu is a beautiful thing...buffet grilled steak topped with blue cheese and A1 sauce....LOBSTER TAILS on the buffet...morning croquettes...Swiss Cheese...Cappuccino - ANY drink made at ANY bar (all were delicious!!) Over all...we were very happy.

**Staff**
Loved seeing some familiar faces, as well as some great new folks. It is clear that this staff takes a great deal of pride in doing a good job, and does their very best to deliver every day!! Some special people - Zaida in the lobby bar, Alia in the Park Suites Snack bar, Yaniel and Adonis at the Adult Pool, Richart grilling in the buffet, and of course, Alexis and Roberto the Bell Boys.

**Room for Improvement**

*Staffing - perhaps with the increased occupancy, the staffing ratios aren't quite right yet? One lunch hour Yaniel (our regular server) was the only one working in the Spa Snack Bar...he was absolutley run off his feet, and was sweating through his shirt...but still managed to do a great job, and deliver all our orders as quickly as possible. We knew he was busy, so we girls went and ordered another round of Mojitos directly from the bar, and brought them back to the table. As we were leaving, he came over to apologize for the service, and was visibly devastated that things weren't up to his usual standard (he is fabulous btw!!) and that we had to get our own drinks. We assured him it was no problem at all! When we arrived the following day, he had more help, and had his beautiful smile back! We found similar issues a few other times (not to this extent) so it may just be down to a case of growing pains.

*Efficiency in the buffet- ok, time to add at least 1 more cooking station, and another toaster!!! Perhaps having the omelette 'add ins' in a self serve bar while waiting in line would speed up the process as well. (then the chef just has to mix and cook, rather than load up each individual ingredient for each individual person!) Also, maybe a re-organization of the locations of items would also alleviate some of the awkwardness that is happening with the line-ups. (didn't like having to cut in line to get at the hot food that was behind both the omelette and crepe line-ups)

*Selection of food - I would agree with another TA member in saying that other resorts in the area (MLD in my experience) brought in a much wider variety of foods. While I do understand the limitations that are present in Cuba, if it's consistently available 2 doors down, it should also be available here!

*Pizza....where is the Pizza!???! Cuban pizza is soooo good!!! I'm sure we'll see this at the beach bar, but how about in the buffet?

*Kids food selections - our kids are pretty easy going, but that buffet was NOT kid friendly. We saw one poor little chap with a plate of corn and dinner rolls one night. Pizza, and maybe some grilled cheese etc.. would be an easy fix for the little ones.

*House Wine.

*Front Desk - We found some of the staff to be very abrupt...and also noticed some 'flippant' behaviour, things like eye rolling, sighing, and generally seeming frustrated by the guests (normal) questions. As an example, we went to inquire about booking a late checkout, but were told to do it the day OF, and when we asked to book it in advance, were told, no, just do it later. (almost as if to say, I just can't be bothered to do it) When the time came, we were told there was no availability! We also saw a situation where a family was requesting (politely) to be moved into the same bungalow, and two staffers began speaking in rapid fire Spanish to one another, in what appeared to be a very derogatory manner towards those guests. This is an assumption, but it sure did NOT feel like they were saying charitable things. These workers are the first impression (after the crazy and amazing bell boys) that a guest has of this resort...and in my opinion, they were overall the worst of the staff groups... I would give them a barely passing grade, while most every other staff section gets an A+!! Not sure if it is an option, however, we really liked the Melia Las Dunas approach of getting your keys/bracelets/info packages on the bus on the way to the resort. Negates the line-ups, and gives guests time to familiarize themselves with the map.

**OVERALL**
The 'room for improvements' are just that...and I think this resort WILL continue to improve. We appreciated the changes that had been made, that the staff seemed happier overall, and the kids were NOT a problem for us, as we still had ample opportunity to have an adults only experience.
We would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone who has realistic expectations of Cuba...
We have found other resorts with certain aspects that are 'better', the closest condender being the Valentin Imperial Maya, but to date, nothing beats Ensenachos for us when it comes to the overall score.

We will be back!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are GREAT, but we preferred to be closer to the lobby.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jen_Ha

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review. It is amazing to see that even after four years, you love the hotel as much as the first time you came. As you saw, we have done some renovations and are continuing to do so until we feel that the hotel is up to our standards. As for the special staff that you have come to know well, I will pass on your comments to them and let them know how much they were appreciated. I hope that you will be able to return sooner than later and anything you may need, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

This was my second visit to Cuba with the first being Melia Cayo Guillermo and my hubbys first Cuban vacation, we have just returned home from a 4 night stay. We travelled with Sunwing and had a fantastic experience with both flights, ran on time, excellent service, comfortable. Exchanged $$ at the airport after reading reviews of line ups at the resort, only took about 10minutes with a very small line up, we did have to make change at the resort and again did not wait in any line up in fact were able to walk right in! However that being said, walking thru the lobby at a different time I did witness a VERY long line up. Guess it is a matter of timing. Check in when we arrived at 11am was relatively smooth, we were assigned a room in building 26 (spa side) we were offered a ride immediately by the waiting golf cart. The room was gorgeous!! Perfect, spotless (and I'm picky about cleanliness), king bed, all amenities. Off to meet our friends who had arrived a few days before for lunch... FOOD - breakfast at the buffet was fantastic, always found something great to eat and never had a problem with line ups even for omelets and the toaster, lunch we ate most days at the restaurant at the spa pool, the service here was excellent although I felt soo bad for our waiter it appeared he was the only one servicing the entire restaurant one lunch hour however he did an amazing job I'm pretty sure his name was Yaniel what a professional! We ate at the seafood restaurant one lunch and it was just ok (fryer broken, no hamburger buns) the waitress spoke NO English which is fine but if you want anything other than a "cervasa" to drink don't miss your Spanish lesson! The view was spectacular here. Dinners.. buffet was fine decent selection always could find something to eat, International was great and Asian was pretty good service at both was outstanding. Most of the staff go out of their way to ensure you are happy and provide very professional service without the feeling that they are looking for "tips" although tip as you would at home. One word of advice, take an alarm clock we went to the lobby to request our wakeup call as we had to check out at 5am I set my phone alarm as a backup good thing because that wakeup call never happened, went to check out and all the staff was sound asleep on the couches guess they forgot their own wakeup call! All and all it was a great trip and we would return to this resort the beaches were incredible, food was great, service for the most part was great.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kristy78blue

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us even though it was quite short. I hope that you were able to experience everything that you wanted to during that time and hope that you'll be back to visit us again!

Reviewed 4 April 2012

This is my fifth trip to the Caribbean in the past four years. I went to Cayo Ensenachos the first week of February and the following are my comments on what I feel are important factors of a resort in my personal priority order.
Service: The service is excellent overall and the staff are freindly - the beach stafff are phenomenal. The only potential issue you may find is that the transportation service between beach, restaurants and your room are not very often. My wife and I enjoyed the walk for the most part so it worked okay for us. Unlike many other resorts, the transportation was not very regular and if you were walking most of the drivers just blew by you without asking if you wanted a lift. This for us was not an issue but something you may wish to consider if you do not enjoy walking. Regarding tipping, we converted about $250 into CUC's specifically for tipping and this seemed the right amount for us.

The Location: This place is pretty much an island paradise. My wife and I loved the fact that we were so secluded. The Ensenachos Beach was stunningly beautiful. The Megano Beach was not quite as incredible but we preferred it. We spent a few days at the very far end of Megano all alone. I was shore fishing and my wife reading her e-book sunbatheing - doesn't get much better. If I was to mention one small complaint regarding the resort is that the grounds were not as clean as they could be with the odd bit of garbage to be seen. This was very minor though and did not significantly detract from the amazing beauty of the place.

Outings: We did the Jeep Safari which was our favorite outing. We did a 3 town tour which was worthwhile and we also did the sunset catamaran with lobster supper which was also very good.

The Booze / Bars, etc.: You can always and I mean always find a bar open with a freindly bartender. Generally, you are also always within a couple of minutes of a bar. We never experienced any lines or waiting anywhere.

The Room: We had the nicest room of any resort we have been to in the Caribbean. Very spacious, ensuite, foyer, deck, etc.

Entertainment: I would call it slightly better than average resort entertainment with the typical shows. We enjoyed it the few evenings that we decided to take it in.

Food: It's Cuba... One piece of advice is in the buffet, let the cooks prepare you something. My wife made the mistake in the first few days of selecting from the buffet and it did upset her stomach - she does have a weak stomach though. Also be prepared for them to cook the hell out of your food. Overall, I have no complaints as I knew what to expect and the food was fine for me.

Summation: I would definitely return to this location. In terms of my rankings of the 5 Carribbean resorts I have visited:
Punta Cana (Gran Bahia) 10/10
Mayan (Grand Palladium) 9/10
Cuba (Cayo) 8.5/10
Puerto Plata (Riu) 8.0/10
Barbados (Almond Casuarina) 2.0/10

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WarrenCalgary

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to get in some fishing around all of the activities you seemed to be doing. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed at this resort between 7th and 10th March this year. Our friends had booked us all into the 'exclusive' villas at the end of the resort.

Given that one of our fellow-travellers had had an accident earlier in the holiday we were looking forward to a quiet break at the end of what had been an eventful trip to Cuba.

Although the staff tried very hard to be helpful and accommodating, it was clear that Iberostar (who took over this complex at the end of last year) were trying to cut costs at this end of the site.

The villas had definitely seen better days and need an overhaul. The chemicals in the jacuzzi behind our villa gave me a rash. The menu in the dining room was the same every night, and alot of the listed items on the menu were, we were told, 'unavailable'.

We had a look at the rest of the resort which if you have a young family looks terrific with entertainment for the kids. And the people we spoke to in the main resort all said that they were having a good time.Although one Canadan couple said that some of the restaurants have a fairly strict dress code in the evenings.

On the positive side there was at the villa end of the resort, a nice pool and lovely grounds - and the staff did try to make us comfortable...but overall we did think that this was a disappointing end to what had been an interesting trip to Cuba....and poor value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank BathUKMan

Greetings from Iberostar Ensenachos,

Thank you for your review. I apologize if your stay with us was not up to your standards and that you felt that the villas were not an upgrade from the rest of the hotel. This section is known to be the quieter area of the resort with a more tranquil atmosphere and you will not find the animation and activities that we have in the other sections. The Villas are unfortunately one of the last sections that we have gotten to regarding renovations, but we will be refurnishing the rooms in the upcoming year. I hope that you will be able to return after everything has been completed or if you would rather stay in the Park Suites if it is more activity that you are looking for.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Ensenachos
#7 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Las Americas
Melia Las Americas
#5 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Iberostar Ensenachos? Share your experiences!