“Prepare to be underwhelmed”

Hacienda Los Algodones
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Los Algodones
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Perhaps the only hotel in this border town that caters to dental (and other medical) tourism, Hotel Hacienda Los Algodones is very basic, and I mean basic. There are no closets, no light fixtures to cover the bulbs screwed into sockets in the ceiling and no heat. They do provide each room with a space heater which considering the southern location, is quite adequate, though loud. Important to note is that the hotel is owned by the same person as the Sani Dental Clinic and offers considerably lower prices to those getting dental work done there. It sits on the edge of town at the end of a dirt road in a windswept unkemp landscape. When I was there, they were doing construction and the pounding started at 7 and continued on until 9 pm. So guest comfort was not a top priority. The rooms are clean, towels are old, furniture is rustic Mexican style that is poorly made so the drawers fall out if you're not careful. They don't clean or straighten up the room until you check out. There is a small restaurant with a limited menu and although there is a bar in the courtyard, they do not serve any sort of alcohol. You can buy alcohol at a liquor store a few blocks away and drink it with your meal, in the courtyard, in your room if you wish. The food in the restaurant is prepared fresh to order and is decent, simple food. Free coffee is provided in the morning. If you're having dental work done in Los Algodones, this is pretty much the only game in town. The other option is to stay in the US, drive to the border and then walk the short way to whatever clinic you're using. I would not recommend this as a vacation destination - there's nothing to do here and not much to see. Just endless outdoor mercados with cheap jewelry and chotchkes.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor away from the courtyard and restaurant if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank rzoe
Vic2rJ, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hacienda Los Algodones, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Guest:

We appreciate your comments, we look forward to improve every day and at this moment we are under construction to provide a better service for all our guests. We are sorry for the inconvenience the noise may cause, we appreciate your comprehension.

We offer different type of rooms, some of them have closets some are real basic, depending the demand of the guest. Concerning the maid service, some of our guest look for a more private stay because their visit is for medical purpose this is the main reason why we give the service only if requested.

The restaurant offers soft meals because we understand the main purpose of our guests is dental treatment. Sometimes under suggestion of the guest we can prepare special food for medical reasons. We don't sell alcoholic beverages because we try to provide an environment of rest and relax; however you can bring your beverage and relax at the courtyard if desired.

Warm regards.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Just returned from a 4 day stay at Hacienda Los Algodones. Room was clean. Has a nice flat screen TV, a small fridge, a remote controlled heater and a very comfortable bed. I felt very safe there. Staff is very friendly and always willing to drive you the 3-4 blocks to and from town, although it is a very short walk. I have visited this town many times and have always felt safe even though I was traveling alone . Love this town!! Can't wait to go back next winter!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank lovemexico199
Vic2rJ, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Los Algodones, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Guest:

We are very happy you enjoyed you stay with us in your last visit to Los Algodones, we try to make feel all our guest like if they're home.
Share your comments with your family and friends, they may want to accompany you on your next visit to Los Algodones, we will be happy to assist them.
The staff of Hotel Hacienda Los Algodones wish you a very warm and happy holiday with your family and love ones,

Hope to see you soon,
Regards

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Just returned home from 1 wk at Hasienda Hotel, where I met the nicest people. It's not just a hotel they're like friends, helpful in everyway. Aware of the possibility you may be stressed, in some discomfort, needing certain things, rides etc. They go beyond your expectation. Everything was first class, home made soup when I couldn't eat was soooo good. Porridge in morning was delicsious. Lovely bedding & comfortable. For me my stay was truly authentic Mexican culture, which is what I prefer. LOVED IT! Can't wait to return in 6 mths. Hope kitty's are still coming.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
11  Thank 886Bev
Vic2rJ, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Los Algodones, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Bev:

We want to thank you to take the time to comment your experience at Hotel Hacienda Los Algodones, we are very happy you were pleased during your stay and enjoyed the comfort of our atmosphere.

We try to provide a personal care to every of our guests, make them feel like home. We will continue to improve each day to give you the service you deserve.

Hope to have you back soon,
Happy holidays,

Warm regards

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Hola!!!
I did a lot of research prior to coming to this little town from Canada to have dental work done. All the reviews I read about the Hacienda Los Algodones and it's little town were without a doubt truly spoken. I was met at the border by one of the drivers who took me directly to this little 'Casa' and not once was I disappointed. Tony and staff welcomed me as if I'd been coming there for years. Like many other women who go there on their own, I too felt very safe during my walks in town and at the hotel itself. The staff were always accommodating, if I needed something and as busy as they were at times, they always took the time to look after your needs. Likewise for the little restaurant, if you didn't see something on the menu, they would do their best to appease your appetite. Not to worry, they do have a lot of soft foods on their menu which is something you will most likely desire following dental surgery. I made many new friends and the courtyard is the place to meet and compare your dental experiences. I felt sad when I had to leave, I felt as if I was leaving my family behind. I do have to return next May for further dental work and I am really looking forward to my stay at the Hacienda. Now that I've raved to my friends about this best kept secret, I'm sure I will have some company on my next trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank notimetostop
Vic2rJ, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Los Algodones, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest:

We appreciate very much all your comments, we try our best to make our guest feel as if they were home.

The restaurant is very flexible concerning the demands on the guest on special food, we understand our main visitors came for dental porpoise and we try to meet their needs as well.

We welcome any suggestion to improve our service,

Looking forward to have you as our guest in your next visit

Regards

Reviewed 27 October 2013

A little home away from home! All of the staff our welcoming, incredibly helpful and kind. During my stay I always felt safe and secure. I never hesitated to wander the town feeling as there was someone readily available if I needed assistance.
Breakfast lunch and dinner were always made to order, tasty, satisfying,.and customized depending on my chewing ability.
The fountain in the courtyard created a tranquil spot to eat, rest, relax, or chat.
Regardless of if you are traveling for dental work - I absolutely recommend a stay at Hacienda Los Algodones. It epitomizes the phrase, "mi casa es su casa"
Looking forward to my next visit...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Melissa G
Vic2rJ, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Los Algodones, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Melissa:

We appreciate your comments and we are happy to know that you are satisfied with your stay at the hotel. We will continue to improve each day to give you the service you deserve.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I came to get dental work done at Sani, I am a single woman and was traveling alone Tony and everyone else made me feel very safe and watched over. I was taken to appointments and picked up. The room was clean and I felt everyone there went out of their way to make me comfortable, little restaurant has very good food at great prices.I noticed other women who were traveling alone there some said they had stayed there before. I will recommend this hotel especially to women going their alone. And staying on the other side of the border made my trip so much easier, no crossing the border on a daily basis. Again I would like to thank the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Peggy J

Dear Peggy:

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I came alone to get dental work done and left 5 days later after meeting many new friends from around the world. Tony does an incredible job running this hotel, there is nothing this wonderful man wont do to help you!! The rooms are truly Mexican in style and fit my needs well. The courtyard was so much fun, meeting and supporting each other through our procedures and almost crying when it was time to go home. SANI dental did a great job on my teeth. Please remember to bring cash for tips, it was so appreciated by everyone at the hotel from the shuttle drivers to the cook, and yes a BIG tip for Tony, (he earned every bit of the $25. tip I gave him!).
I can't wait to stay at the Hacienda again!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank MARYLANGE
Vic2rJ, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Los Algodones, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Marylange:

#1 of 33 in Yuma
Hotel Araiza San Luis
Hotel Araiza San Luis
#1 of 1 in San Luis Rio Colorado

Been to Hacienda Los Algodones? Share your experiences!